1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice" News & Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Aug 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StorytellerMJ5

StorytellerMJ5 Active Member

I don't want the movie to fail, but I don't really care if it does or doesn't. And I'm definitely no DC hater. There was only one thing about this film that looked interesting and that was the character of Wonder Woman. Nothing else had me excited or even intrigued. People seem to like her though, so that's good.

I'm still not going to go see it now or even soon though. I'm not surprised at all how mixed the reaction is.

2. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

That RT score, atm, makes it seem less divisive. Plus, those positive reviews are some variation of "it's not bad, but..."
    Even the couple of youtube reviews I have seen involve having to separate between the "DC fan perspective" and the movie buff/critic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Calling somebody who thinks Man of Steel was a steaming mountain of miserableness and is not surprised that BvS is more of the same dung, a "DC Hater" is at best flagrantly inaccurate and at worst the usual whiny tribalism we get from internet forums.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if they ever exalted Snyder as the DC cbm guru, as much as they had no one else who knew the source material. It's an interesting discussion in Hollywood how so few real filmmakers are comicbook fanboys. This is a discussion I had many times in college how filmmakers have strange loves for stuff outside of just film.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

The thing is, some of the negative complaints are things I don't care about; a few critics have claimed that the film is too crowded and busy setting up various films, but I was completely fine with AoU, so that shouldn't be a problem for me. I'm also fine with over the top CGI fights.

The complaints that have me concerned are the ones that claim the film has script issues, a first half that drags a bit, and the fact that for many critics, Affleck as Batman and Gadot as Wonder Woman overshadow Superman himself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, we knew the movie was going to include a lot to setup the DCEU, almost similar in a way to Iron Man 2 in that regard, especially as the second major installment in a slowly burgeoning Cinematic Universe. Though that was also a point of criticism for IM2 and Age of Ultron, so no surprise that it hits this movie as well :shrug:.

I was always kind of expecting Supes to get shortchanged in a Batman movie, or a film with Batman in it, sad as that is to say :(.

7. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, and will be debatable, whether Superman is shortchanged or not.

I was watching the animated Dark Knight Returns last night, and that's certainly a case where it's a Batman movie, and Superman has a small role that's distinctly that of an antagonist with little exploration of his side of things.

In contrast, it occurs to me that this movie will offer much more balance in terms of screen time, and that if anyone is in the antagonist role, even if temporarily, it's probably Batman. Something of a reversal of TDKR, perhaps.

I think a factor in the overshadowing is likely that Ben and Gal are new to their roles, and it's going to be easier for newcomers to superhero roles to draw attention. Reviews are all over the place in terms of whether Cavill (or Affleck) is any good, but I've seen many reviews praising Cavill and his presence as Superman. I think there will be relative balance between the two characters.

Also, I've noted a lot of reviews criticizing sections of the movie as being slow or boring. I'm actually taking that as something of a good thing. With these big blockbuster movies, I'm often left feeling numb by what feels like constant action or stuff happening. I'd appreciate moments that are slower, or quieter, and glad that it appears like this isn't 2.5 hours of non-stop action (even if the final act does sound like it delivers that action).

I remain optimistic, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing it later in the week.

EDIT: Mark Hughes, at Forbes, had an interesting article a few weeks ago projecting that BvS was unlikely to flop. It was linked and discussed on a previous page in this thread, I think. I found it to be a breath of fresh air amidst all the negative articles about how BvS was headed for disaster.

Well, I noticed he also now has a review up for BvS. This similarly relaxed me a bit, and at the very least is something of a counter-balance against much of the negative reviews. The first page features his thoughts/expectations for box office this weekend, and overall. The second page is his review. It has me feeling more optimistic about audience reactions being perhaps very different from critical reaction. I'm certainly hoping the movie comes across as well for me when I see it Saturday.

He does indicate Batman has more screen time (he estimated 60-40 split between Batman and Superman). However, he has some very positive things to say about Cavill as Superman, and how he fits into the movie.

Again, I realize the truth might be somewhere in between his take and that of many other critics, but this felt like a nice change-of-pace compared to other reviews, and it feels like he's approached the movie with thought and an appreciation for the characters.

• Like Like x 2
    #207 DarkAngel, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

The Tomatometer seems to have settled at 34%. As Greg Sestero pointed out on Twitter, The Room has a 35%. :sweat:

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, it could be worse. It could have gotten a score as low as Fantastic Four. :p

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

That the last thing we need to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice getting a lower score then that 2015 Fantastic Four.

11. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Just a reminder that the Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice talkback will be going up tonight at 10pm (ET) due to the massive amounts of early screenings. Until then, please feel free to keep the discussion going here.

12. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Why is that? If it deserves it, it deserves it.

13. dmxx116

No it don't need to lower then that God alwul Fantastic Four reboot.

14. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

That's your opinion of course, but if the popular opinion is that it's awful, so be it.

15. dmxx116

How do know it awful have you seen it yet ?

16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Popular Opinion" seems to be mixed, not completely negative, so it seems that whether its a good movie or not, or something people will enjoy, comes down to personal opinion and taste. And probably a toleration of Zack Synder's directorial style :sweat:.

17. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

More over analyzing about the potential for this movie to be a bomb:
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...buster-bomb/ar-BBqRL7e?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=ASUDHP

Once again, it has BATMAN in it. It wont bomb. If that 150 million estimated weekend opening is close, that's more than Man Of Steel's opening weekend. Already it's meeting a REALISTIC goal I set for it, which is out grossing Man Of Steel. The article also claims that if its grand total is 800 million to 1 billion, that is a disappointment. How is that a disappointment? You guessed it, that's more money than Man Of Steel's grand total.

Any other movie would kill to have Dawn Of Justice's final box office total, why is that potentially not going to be good enough for Dawn Of Justice itself?

18. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Apparently Warner needs 800m just to break even on this thing due to marketing costs and the other two movies. Good luck with that.

19. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

It's Batman vs. Superman. The two most famous comic book heroes of all time. It should at least reach Avengers: Age of Ultron and Dark Knight level box office. At least.

I would prefer the movie be good, but if it's not, I want it to bomb so WB will course correct and make better movies going forward.

Sony made changes after Amazing Spider-Man 2 got mediocre reviews (53% on RT) and disappointing box office ($91M opening). I hope WB will do the same.

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.