1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: The Telltale Series" Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by James Harvey, Aug 2, 2016.

?

Batman: The Telltale Series - Review and Rate this Video Game!

1. *****

100.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Experience an all-new Batman video game experience!

[​IMG]

Batman: The Telltale Series
    Release date:
    Digital - August 2, 2016; Disc Release - September 2016
    Developer: Telltale Games
    Platforms: PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Mac OS

Enter the fractured psyche of Bruce Wayne and discover the powerful and far-reaching consequences of your choices as the Dark Knight.

In this gritty and violent new story from the award-winning creators of The Walking Dead – A Telltale Games Series, you'll make discoveries that will shatter Bruce Wayne's world, and the already fragile stability of a corrupt Gotham City. Decide the fate of Gotham City. Determine the fate of Bruce Wayne and his dark persona, Batman. Your choices write a fascinating new chapter in the complex and dangerous lives of the playboy industrialist and the vigilante detective.

Discuss Batman: The Telltale Series right here at Toonzone!

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

So it's $25 for my first Telltale game and the kind of Batman game I *really* wanted, where you roleplay the character vs basically living a power fantasy (the Arkham series). I'll likely dive in tonight, and we'll see!

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So....wow. This is awesome. I'm sorry to know there are problems on the PC, but I got it for PS4 and things went OK.

I cleared chapter 1, you can clear this thing in one good afternoon or evening. For $5 the price is right, particularly since I think anyone that cares enough to even buy this in the first place will want to go back more than once to see how your behavior alters outcomes and how people respond to you. If you liked all that dialogue and roleplay stuff in Mass Effect, this is the game for you.

If you like a sense of danger.....this is probably not for you. I haven't tried yet, but I'm not sure it's actually possible to lose or to let something really, really horrible happen if you don't catch certain control prompts (does Catwoman really plummet to death if I don't press that one button on time? Hmm). I also didn't catch more than one way to solve anything, or to win a fight. Not a big deal to me though. I think it's clear it's meant to engage your head more than your reflexes.

The game's greatest strength is that you can decide for yourself what your Bruce Wayne ideal is. Is he a stoic badass obsessed with THE MISSION? It seems like there are options to go that way, up to and including choices to just say nothing when somebody's trying to get you to open up to them or other people. Is Bruce good at putting on a front for others, or is he not above showing regret about his parents? Does he take Alfred's advice seriously or blow him off? Does he have a line or will he do anything to make a criminal talk? And so on, and so on.

The game is just totally driven by decisions about how you behave, to the point it's letting you know every time you do and say something that impacts somebody's impression of you. The effect of that may not be immediately apparent, but there's no question it's all going to lead places in later chapters. Then there are decisions where the "right" answer is not immediately apparent at all, like a certain binary choice on how to share crucial evidence. Either person you could take it to seems trustworthy, but who can do the most good with it? And will that person really be OK, or did you just put a target on their back? Who knows. Fun, right? ;)

For good measure, at the end of the chapter you get the credits and the game actually reviews the most major choices you made + stats on what other players did. Which, of course, makes it super easy to make notes so you can go back and try to make the story play out very differently.

Telltale made smart narrative calls. The game is pretty well divided between Bruce Wayne and Batman, which is right on the money and different from the Arkham games. The man has a double identity. Own it! Do something with it. Also, the whole thing is approximately year one territory, where political corruption and gangsters are what's troubling the city most. The closest thing to a supercriminal is Catwoman, who's really more of a wild card. This leaves Telltale all the room in the world to introduce Batvillains at any time they want, in whatever new way they want, and for all we know a lot of that is going to have to do with us.

As for the action, well, it's fine. Like Heavy Rain or Beyond: Two Souls prompting, except more fast paced and dynamic. It certainly did the job of helping bring me into the action, though like I said it all came easily enough that I'm wondering if it's really just the illusion of tension that's there. I'm not asking for Dragon's Lair here, but there's nothing wrong with a few well-placed BAD ENDS either. ;)

So yeah, this is good. If this is the norm for Telltale stuff, I'll have to try some other ones.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

After having just seen the first episode, I can definitely see two reasons why this warranted the M-rating.

1. Obviously because it's a bloodier and even more graphic, showing gruesome imagery of decapitated body parts you can't get away with in a T-rated game. Plus Batman himself is much more brusk with his fighting prowess, I'm almost convinced he may have even killed a couple people. I guess they're going with the Scott Snyder take on Batman since the New52; and maybe even Frank Miller's work, which isn't my favorite take on the comics (And that's aside from the fact Miller alone is a rather foul person nowadays), but I can get behind it with the stories the want to tell, even if the graphic content is unnecessary there and even the game itself.

2. Less obviously, but more prominently because the overall story mode is very politically and even psychologically charged, something right along the lines of Marvel Netflix's Daredevil and even Jessica Jones, something that really changes the ethics and personal philosophy we're used to with Superheroes, and is something taken very seriously as it raises more plausible and consequential stakes and other serious circumstances. And while Batman himself is always a serious character, the reason why kids and teenagers would get into him in the first place is so they can be entertained and have fun. And while it's always fun to watch superheroes helping cities and fighting crime, it's not so much fun for the younger audiences to delve into more, morally ambiguous territory where there are no easy answers.

So in more ways than one, this is a game made specifically for adults... and you know, I'm actually okay with this. Sure I might object to any unnecessary graphics, but otherwise I say this might make for an excellent story, especially because it centers on the man behind the mask himself, Bruce Wayne. Something most media outside of comics don't seem to explore (Minor exceptions aside.)
    If I did have any complaint, it's the lack of the Penguin. Seriously, where is Oswald Cobblepot, they keep saying his name in the game and Bruce was clearly talking to him in the same place that British hipster was, what was he invisible or... Really? That's, The Penguin?! Gaw, son of a gun!

Ah, anyway, so far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Turns out the game allows for multiple save files, so I got in another playthrough of chapter 1 with mostly different dialogue options.

It turns out a "game over" is possible here and there if you screw up badly enough or just kick back and watch stuff happen. Still, it feels to me as though you'd have to really try at not trying for this to happen. And even if you do lose, the game kicks back to a recent autosave, you're not going to be stuck watching a lot of action play out again. So yeah, this game is anti-frustration.

It's apparent to me that, in this chapter at least, certain things just have to happen. Choice seems to center around roleplay and how the way you act affects everybody around you. One thing I'll be watching closely is how things play out with Gordon, as my main save has Batman not going too far and being as close to my perception of the Batman TAS version as possible while my second one had him go very harsh on certain criminals. The game seems to have Gordon at least taking an enemy-of-my-enemy feeling toward Batman while the cops under him are skeptical at best and hostile at worst, and I wonder if Gordon can wind up agreeing with them if you just decide to have Batman being borderline savage at every turn. That's the #1 thing I'll be watching to test the degree of consequences that are possible in this thing.

The ending of the first part really is brilliant. I just don't want to spoil it right now even though the thread is marked. I'll say it's one hell of a "say it ain't so!" moment, though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Chapter 2 of Telltale Batman (Children of Arkham) confirmed for September 20 on all platforms, per press release today. Apparently a period of several weeks separating installments is not uncommon for Telltale stuff, and there isn't even a hard schedule, it takes however long it takes them to get it ready. So OK, I guess I and we will just have to hang in there.

Playthrough #2 is completed with a more aggressive Batman in all respects (including overtly antagonizing Falcone, because screw that guy). At the end maybe I'll try stoic silence on a third run just to see how many "what the hell Bruce" reactions I can get. ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I finally played Episode 1 and was thoroughly hooked for the whole time. I understand why some of the reviews were more mixed than positive but it was pretty great. The story has me intrigued. We know the Waynes won't be wrapped up in gangsters - my money is that they were working with the cops to bring some down - but I can't wait to see how this plays out. Really interesting so far. I didn't think they'd have Selina Kyle figure out Batman's ID so fast, too. I'm really glad I gave my info to Vicki Vale - that seemed to get the most effective reaction in taking down Falcone. Can't wait for the second episode.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Episode 2 trailer:

9. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Episode 3 was fantastic although unfortunately the game crashed right at the end when Bruce is infected and lunges at Harvey, so I had to redo that last little piece but what a great cliffhanger. And the trailer for episode 4 which comes out this week has me super excited. I've been reading some reviews for this and I'm surprised to see it so mixed. I think this is a great take on the Batman mythos and I like seeing the changes.

I do have a question - is anyone else's Harvey Dent turned into Two-Face yet? My Dent still isn't scarred and I assume that is because I saved him over Catwoman in episode 2. Every time I see new footage or a trailer for the game, especially for episodes 3 and 4, they have him scarred.