1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: the Musical! Really.

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2001.

1. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Yes, Warner Brothers is STILL serious about making a musical version of Batman for Broadway. And yes, John Steinman, the guy who wrote music for Meatloaf, is STILL involved. I swear I'm not making this up. Here's what Entertainment Weekly had to say:

...Jim Steinman swears it's not campy. "It's loosly based on the Tim Burton movies. There's a thrilling 20-minute opening spectacle of Gotham City. It's like Guys and Dolls on mescaline. In a good way."

Who knows, maybe it'll be cool. All together now: "A superstitious cowardly looooot...."

2. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

Every time I hear about this,I think about that one old MAD-TV sketch where Schumacher was making Batman 5 into a Broadway musical,with Tommy Tune as Batman and Ben Vereen as Robin.It was one of the funniest skits they ever did.

"Now look.Tommy...Batman...Tommy...Batman..."

3. Flying Grayson

Flying Grayson Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet

so we'll have Batman dancing around singing.
    Talk about out of character.

4. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

I dunno

I somehow don't think this is going to be Oklahoma! in Gotham City. Les Misserables and Phantom of the Opera are great, dramatic musicals that don't have to rely on dancing around (of course, they do have to rely on singing, that is inevitable) to be good. I am not saying that a Batman musical is something I want to see (I want this as much as I want the Casper musical) but if they are going to do it, there is a right way and a wrong way, and I think the replies so far have only envisioned the wrong way.

5. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] no matter how dramatic or good the musical gets, it will always remind me of the musical from Out of the Past.[/color]

6. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Ah, but we should not judge the project before it is out!

What is Out of the Past? I am unfamilar with that one.

7. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

Re: I dunno

I hate to say it but some how I doubt that there's a right way to envision a project like this.

But if they can pull of something along the lines of what you mentioned (Les Misserables and Phantom of the Opera) I'd say we might have a winner. Actually I personally think it should be done more along the lines of a modern opera.

8. Bud 'n Lou

Bud 'n Lou Let me dirty up your mind

Cynics!

Am I the only one here willing to admit I think it sounds kinda cool? I'm so there when this thing opens!

#8 Bud 'n Lou, May 24, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2001
  9. The Mad Hatter

Out of the Past is the BB episode featuring Talia. At the beginning, Terry takes Bruce to a SUPER cheesy Batman musical for his birthday. I was laughing my head off with the awful songs and costumes. This prompts the following exchange, which is one of the best BB quotes out there:

Bruce: You really hate me, don't you?
    Terry: Come on, it's schway!
    Bruce: It's schwarbage.

10. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

I still don't know

I can see it when the actor who is playing Batman is on stage a Bruce he could break in to song, but as Batman? :eek: I just don't see it.

Now, as an opera (from my experience tend to usually be tragic, and if that's not Batman please tell me what is), where everything is already in song, this wouldn't be a problem.

I just can't get that scene from Out of the Past out of my head. I don't want to see that in real life. :(

11. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Re: I still don't know

What's wrong with me? Batman is the true essence of a loner, who can do anything, and does so while seeming invisible. So why do I think this could be a good idea if in the right hands!?

I think it might have something to do with living in NY. I've seen a lot of plays, and when they're done right, they can really get out what they want to say in a very powerfull and moving way.....

....A supersticious cowardly lot!!!!

Ahem! ACHEM!! Sorry, I can't help but slip into that for some reason...

Well if this is going to happen then you know what that means. All the directing and creating elements have to be supervised by us, to make sure there isn't even the slightest mistake or bad decision.

12. redDragon

redDragon Carnivorous Beast

Re: I still don't know

[color=c00000]Well if they have everyone BUT Bats singing I'm sure they could pull it off[/color]

13. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Batman, no. But Bruce, with something moving about the character that we already know has immense thought provoking depth? I could possibly see it....

14. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Re: Cynics!

NOT ALL OF US! Some of us, including myself, is hoping for the best from this project. I mean, come on, love it or hate it, John Steinman's music is really interesting and moving. I think that with him at the helm, we could have something rather interesting on our hands.

15. Huntress

Huntress Guest

In the right hands it does have potential .... a serious opera is a maybe (a la Phantom) but a cheesy, dancy musical ... hmmmm ... I'd go and see it for sure but I'm not convinced ..... isn't this what Schumacher's Batman & Robin was?

Steinman? Bat Out Of Hell anyone??

16. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] The musical will either be really good or really bad.[/color]

17. The Mad Hatter

Just hope that Steinman doesn't cast his buddy Meat Loaf as the title character... :D

Honestly, his music has a neat dark edge to it, so he might be able to pull it off.

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think this should just not happen. While his story is good fodder for a musical, it's just wrong. How can Batman dance in a big rubber suit anyways?

19. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

where do all of you get this stuff from?

Why would Batman be DANCING? This isn't Cats in production here. It is something different. I draw the inevitable connections to Les Miserables and and Phantom of the Opera because both of them have main characters who are tragic type characters who don't sing AND dance. I think the Batman musical can work. I have faith in this project.

20. Bud 'n Lou

Bud 'n Lou Let me dirty up your mind

I think if there's gonna be dancing, it'll be for fight scenes, like the ones in West Side Story. Those were pretty cool.
    "I feel pretty; oh, so pretty..." :)