1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 (Animated Feature)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franny

Franny Member

Thank you for reply but I didn't make myself very clear. What I was referring to was the 2 disc dvd edition of "The Dark Knight Returns' Part 2" How long after the initial release can We expect to see? Will even be at the same time?

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Two-Disc Special Edition releases of the DC Universe Animated Original Movie titles are usually exclusive to Wal-Mart upon street date, a recent trend that started last year, before going wide roughly six weeks later. The two-disc edition will likely be revealed within the next few weeks.

3. Franny

Franny Member

Thank you' James, so with you saying that I can expect to see that edition appear on amazon around mid-March?

4. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

The Blu-ray is region free anyway, so as long as you have a Blu-ray player (locked or otherwise) it'll play perfectly.

The DVD is coded for R1, R3 and R4 which I assume you have no issues with.

5. James Harvey

Warner Home Video has provided the following press details for the bi-coastal premieres of Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two, the latest film in the DC Universe Animated Original Movie line. All the details, along with two new images, can be found at The World's Finest.

Interested in covering the premieres? Send me an email or private message for further details.

6. James Harvey

The first official clip from the upcoming Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two animated feature has been released by Warner Home Video. Check it out at The World's Finest.

[​IMG]

7. cover for two-disc special edition of batman: the dark knight returns, part 1

does anyone know if the two-disc special edition of batman: the dark knight returns, part 1 comes with an outer cardboard sleeve? i've seen some mock-ups online, but not an actual picture of the product, so it's hard to tell if one was ever manufactured. generally, a 2-disc edition of a dcau film has an outer sleeve. at least all of mine do so far.

8. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I believe more information and images of the 2 disc special edition have not been released yet and is still forthcoming in the next couple of days.

9. tenderheartbear

tenderheartbear Active Member

Lambert was asking about the 2-disc edition of Part 1 (the DVD I assume as the Blu-ray came with a sleeve AFAIK).

Did that come with a cardboard O-ring does anyone know?

10. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

Saw it on Amazon before they took it down, it's simply amazing. Parts 1 & 2 are better than the book in my opinion.

PS. Superman owns Part 2

11. James Harvey

Warner Home Video has provided The World’s Finest with an exclusive first look at a new image from the upcoming Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two animated feature. Click here to check it out.

Additionally, I'm trying to get confirmation on the Two-Disc Special Edition DVD release for Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two. Hopefully details, one way or the other, will be available next week.

12. jondoe297

jondoe297 Member

Saw Part 2.. BLOODY Great Time! MOST Cinematic of them ALL! Especially w/ Part 1 back2back and MOST Violent and BLOOD everywhere!

Superman was GREAT! Part 1 is like grounded, relatable Nolan Style and Part 2 is the more comic-booky sci fi Batman We ALL LOVE!

TDKReturns Parts 1 & 2 has raised the Bar for the DCU OVA's! From NOW On.. ALWAYS Split 2 Parts to give JUSTICE to EPIC Long Great Stories! w/ the same LOVE and attention to details.. BRING ON The Long Halloween/Dark Victory and HUSH; NEXT Please!!!

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Totally jondoe297, although judging from what James Tucker said on the Superman: Unbound sneek peak about them starting to go more left field from the adaptations, so the Dark Knight Returns Part 2 is most likely our last straight up adaptation. I do feel they should consider the two parts for something else later on, it's such a sane cause All Star Superman would've benefitted from been split over two movies.

i thought Superman owned Part 2 and he comes across much better than he did in the book. I thought he stole the show.

14. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

Push the envelope!

I think that the mult-chapter approach is the most sensable way to approach some of the longer stories that could be adapted. It might be the only viable way to adapt, say Kingdom Come (not that it is likely to happen) taking full advantage of the higher, but still limited, budget for these DTV features by producing a four-part miniseries. This approach would benefit other longer works such as Batman: The Long Halloween and Camelot 3000. Something lke The New Teen Titans: Games is perfectly suitable as a single, 70-some minute animated film.

15. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

The lack of GAINAX bounce in this movie is disturbing.

Uh...but...uh...hey, the story tweaks have been nice so far.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

That sounds promising. I can't wait to see Part 2. Glad to hear Superman is justly done well.

So DC are straying from straight up adaptations? But that's what I tend to favor. :(

I don't mind some story changes if it is a loose adaptation, but if it is a story that is considered a classic, I much prefer an as faithful as possible translation with designs that emulate the original comic stories.

17. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Michael Emerson is one of those stunt-castings that probably really could have come off really well were there a little more attention being paid by the director. There are some lines that work and others that really seemed like nobody listened to every performance to make sure the lines were done right. It's a shame, espicially considering how intense Emerson was on Lost that so many of his deliveries come off as being half-hearted table readings. Speaking of tables, Peter Weller continues to be as wooden as ever. You'd think having twice the amount of time to play a character than other previous newbies to voice acting would help, but nope, it's as wooden as many a table.

Mark Valley was pretty good, certainly better than Emerson or Weller. Clark's character does come off as a bit more "It's not personal" than in the comic, but I never really felt Miller was throwing Clark under the bus there. As with the comic, 'Superman' is never used in the movie, although the credits only list Valley as playing Superman, so go figure.

I'm hoping we get more of these two-part movies. It allows for more breathing room and helps cover up the feeling of these simply being cheap cash-ins a little more.

18. James Harvey

A new video clip from the upcoming Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two animated feature has been released by Warner Home Video. Check it out at The World's Finest.

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for further coverage - and a review - coming soon to The World's Finest.

19. Bobbywoodhogan

You know I didn't realise they never called him Superman until you said it. He was always called Clark wasn't he.

20. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I think I only ever noticed it because I saw it said so on Wikipedia. It's a nice touch that fits in with the whole 'media blackout' for the character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.