"Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2 (Animated Feature)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Yojimbo, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

With the upcoming DC Universe Animated Original Movie title officially announced by Warner Home Video, welcome to the official pre-release discussion thread for the direct-to-video Batman: The Dark Knight Returns two-part animated feature! Look no further to discuss any upcoming home video and feature news concerning this upcoming release!

[​IMG]
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part 2
    Coming January 29th, 2013 to Blu-ray and DVD!

For the latest news, check out The World's Finest and the newest posts in this thread!

For other related news, check out the "DC Universe" Animated Feature News & Discussion Thread.

Note: The "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" animated feature was officially confirmed by Warner Home Video on July 22nd, 2011 during Comic Con 2011 (details here). As a reminder, please use spoiler tags if posting graphic and detailed spoilers. Spoiler tags will not be required when the official talkback threads are created for the "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns" animated feature.

2. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

If this is going to be 2 parts, are both parts coming out next year? As for the 2-parter issue, thanks Harry Potter.

3. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

Yes.

Thank Tarantino first:

1. Kill Bill vol 1 2003
    2. Kill Bill vol 2 2004

4. Hero Supreme

:) Good point.

So, is this going to be the long rumored R-rated movie(s)?

5. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

personally I hate the way Superman is treated in this book so I was hoping they wouldn't adapt that part of it but I guess with it been two parts we're gonna get that.

6. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Wow, two title announcements at one? Nice.

7. NBM05

NBM05 New Member

Wow, if this is a two parter, that's fantastic. I love that idea. If they can have two and a half to three hours to tell the story instead of just seventy or eighty minutes, I'm all for it. I love the DC and Marvel animated movies, but often feel they would benefit from more time. Doing a two parter is a solution I can definitely get behind. I'm actually really excited about having both year one and Dark Knight adaptions, and my excitement has only increased as DC has released looks at year one showing how closely they're adapting it (first person narration included), and now with this info that Dark Knight will be two parts I'm feeling even more confident that the adaptions are going to be worthy of their source material.

8. theRedDeath

theRedDeath New Member

Son of a---!!! I had hoped a DKR movie would never get made. I hate this thing and it's legacy with a passion. But then I thought: "Well, it's going to have to happen eventually, so they might as well do it and get it out of the way."

But no, they're going to spread it out over TWO movies!?! You have got to be freaking kidding me!!

---

9. Bobbywoodhogan

Thats whats bugging me two movies so we lose one. They could have made something else and made it in one part

10. Hero Supreme

I don't necessarily think thats true. We only got 3 movies this year, so if both parts come out next year as the Worlds Finest story presumed, then we are probably just getting an extra release. Same with the Superman / Shazam movie. I dont really feel like we got that instead of something else.

11. Sarada

Sarada Active Member

Two sixty or seventy-five minute movies is better than one. The Warners team might actually pull interesting additions or changes to the story, too. I easily foresee an extended re-editing of both films as one coming out after the second film hits.

As for casting, I'd love to see Clancy Brown as Superman and John DiMaggio as Batman. That probably won't happen, but it'd be awesome.

12. Hero Supreme

I would like Michael Keaton as Batman

13. Bobbywoodhogan

Was thinking the same thing, if they could aswell I'd love to have Jim Caviezal voice Superman.

14. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Where does it say that this is a 2-parter???

Is JL: Doom still good for next year???

Because we will have 4 animated movies for next year if TDKR is a two-parter.

Never read it, but is TDKR that long...that it has to be 2-parter???

15. Hero Supreme

From the Worlds Finest article linked above:

16. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Yojimbo put up a link to World's Finest where you can read all the details there about DKR being 2 parts. JL: Doom is still good and will be the first movie out next year. DKR is pretty long I guess but it just makes me wish that stuff like New Frontier could have gotten the 2 part treatment as well.

Edit: Bah! Foiled again:sweat:

I mentioned how I thought Michael Ironside would be a cool choice for Batman in the DCU news thread but I also like the suggestion of Clancy Brown as he auditioned for Superman back during the STAS days and mentioned how he never gets to play a good guy. SO why not throw him a bone here:D

17. young101

young101 New Member

I'm guessing this is equally a risky move as the superman and shazam release. I suppose they're going to see whether releasing multiple series will be equally or more profitable to them in sales, and if not, I guess we won't be seeing them release series again like this.

18. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Cool Thanks

Does Superman have big enough role in this story??? 30%-50%???

Or does he just show up at the end???

19. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Member

I wonder if the 2 parts are Part 1: Dark Knights Returns and Part 2: The Dark Knight Strikes Again

It would be cool if it was

it makes sense though

20. Dreyfus

Dreyfus New Member

Superman is involved only tangentially for the first few issues. He's off fighting a war overseas. Theoretically, if they wanted to divide the comic into two parts, the first would consist of issues #1-2, "The Dark Knight Returns" and "The Dark Knight Triumphant", ending with

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.