Batman: The Brave and The Bold "The Mask of Matches Malone" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 19, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - "The Mask of Matches Malone!"

1. *****

66.7%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

The long-awaited controversial episode debuts on home video as part of Batman: The Brave and The Bold - Complete Season Three!

[​IMG]
    Click here for further details on this episode!
    Batman: The Brave and The Bold
    "The Mask of Matches Malone!"

Original Airdate - June 19th, 2012 (Home Video Premiere)
    Batman, Huntress and Black Canary are after Two-Face -- and so is Catwoman. While incognito, Batman gets amnesia and believes himself to be a real gangster -- now the girls must stop him and Two-Face!

Comments?

Related:
    Batman: The Brave and The Bold - Complete Season Three DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Mod Note: As a reminder to all users, please keep the discussion in this thread on-topic and as dignified and civilized as possible. No spamming, no post flooding, no unrelated discussions, no fighting or disrespectful behavior of any kind, etc., will be tolerated. And please, don't post for just the sake of posting. Have something of worth to add to the conversation. The necessary infractions and warnings will be issued as moderators see fit - no exceptions. This thread will be closely monitored for unruly behavior so please abide by the rules and have fun conversing with others while enjoying and respecting their opinions. Thank you.

2. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

When this episode aired here in Canada last year it was uneditedl, and this was well after the whole controversy surrounding it too. I wouldn't be surprised if the unedited version stills airs regularly internationally, but the US gets just the edited one. Either way it is still a fantastic episode and I am glad it is now out there!

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Teaser

Still amazed we got see Black Orchid in animation and she got the slip on Batman at the end.

Main Story

Cool seeing Batman, Black Canary, Huntress, and Catwoman undercover and unmasked. Canary and Huntress cracked me up. "Hate Her," at the same time lol.

Another favorite line was, "20 years in Iron Heights...You Loser!" Really Two-Face? :D

All in all, with Catwoman, if it aired here in the States in order, would have been a nice foreshadowing for "Knights of Tomorrow" despite it being one of Alfred's stories.

4. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

The song is one of the highlights of the entire series for me. I also thought Huntress was put to far better use here than in her first two appearances, and it was nice that Two-Face and Catwoman were given a decent amount of screentime, since they just have cameos, teaser appearances and fleeting roles in other episodes.

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

So did she just mug and replace one of Ivy's troops offscreen? I'm not too familiar with how her powers work.

Huntress' aim is amazing. She somehow managed to shoot off some tape without even knicking Canary!

6. Geodude

Geodude Active Member

So do Tara Strong, Grey DeLisle, and the other one have great singing voices or what?

7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Correct. Even though she's got the standard super powers like flight and super strength, her M.O. was disguises, switching places with incidental female characters while working a case then revealed herself at the end. You could even call her a female version of Batman and Superman rolled in one.

8. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

So what was the controversy? And I loved the song; been running through my head all day!

9. quigonkenny

quigonkenny New Member

The "size" joke pertaining to Aquaman's "little fish".

10. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

Ah, okay. Did she knock out and tie them up or something or was she one of the more lethal heroes?

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

Imagine the "Aquaman's little fish line" with the original scene:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I honestly don't remember that detail. Had to be the first choice considering it was Silver Age.

12. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Active Member

Was this episode worth the wait?
    YES IT WAS.

Get to see 3 major Bat-Villians in action: Poison Ivy, Catwoman, and Two-Face.
    Selina and Harvey in my favorite designs.
    Selina with the purple dress and green cape.
    Harvey with the half-scarred side being dark green.
    Remains me of the comics of my youth.

Obscure hero. Black Orchid. Mysterious and a good fighter.

Always like Batman posing as "Matches Malone"

The BOP song was well done by everyone.

Its not in my top ten but I would put this episode somewhere in between 15-20 favorite episode.

13. Jon T

Jon T Friendless Spidey

It's great that Warner finally included the episode on a home video release, but quite disappointing that the episode is in fullscreen on the DVD rather than widescreen like all the other episodes. A missed opportunity.

14. quigonkenny

quigonkenny New Member

I'm sure WHV's response would be "Just be happy we put it on there at all."

15. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Quick question: Is the original cut of the episode available anywhere, and would it ever see the light on home video? (P.M. me if need be)

16. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

It's not legally uploaded anywhere online by CN but it can be found online in the usual places. Highly unlikely it will be on home video. We were lucky enough to get the edited version on DVD.

17. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Thanks, will try and watch it someday. Its a shame how the small things occasionally get noticed (no pun intended)