1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: The 1960s Classic TV Series" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, May 12, 2001.

?

Discuss the classic 1960s "Batman" TV Series and Rate It!

1. Bat-Tastic!

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Pow! Bam! Zip! Adam West and Burt Ward star as the Dynamic Duo in this classic 1960s TV series!

[​IMG]

Batman
    Debuted: January 12th, 1966
    20th Century Fox, Warner Bros. TV

Love it or hate it, you can't deny the impact this classic series had on the legacy of Batman! A classic in every sense of the word, sound off on why you enjoyed - or perhaps disliked - this landmark Batman series!

Discuss the classic 1960s Batman TV series!

Related Discussion:

-Batman: The Complete Television Series Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The 1966 Movie Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman '66 Comic Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Wonder Woman '77 (2015 Ongoing) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

I know it was campy and lame and sometimes stupid. I grew up watching reruns of it on the old Family Channel and then when it came on FX after Wonder Woman. I loved it!! Now I like to watch it just for laughs. Also, I think that Julie Newmar and Burgess Meredith were better than Michelle Pfeiffer and Danny DeVito as Catwoman and Penguin. What do you guys think?

3. Nass

Nass Newsman Nass

I loved it! I also grew up with it, mostly because of my father, but I enjoyed it. Green Hornet too. Its Batman, its just the way he was in that era as Ive said before. Its also nice to see some classic Dick Grayson Robin adventures, without all those other side kicks and guest stars, just Batman, Robin, and occasicnally Batgirl. Great show.

4. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Great Batmobile. It's the car you see Adam, the chicks love the car!

Shame Caesar couldn't have shaved off his 'tache for the Joker!

Notice in ROTJ how Joker refers to Wayne's location as 'Stately Wayne Manor'!

5. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Tree-hugging hippee

I'm a huge fan of the 1960s Batman show. I loved the show ever since my grandmother introduced me to it in 1983, when I was 6. Now, I have all but two of the the episodes on tape from when it ran on FX in 1997 (I'm missing the Minstrel two-parter), and I'm retaping the ones that are currently airing on Sci-Fi (the show is cut to make room for more commercials, and the channels cut out different parts). I also have the 1966 movie on tape.

For those who may not be aware, Sci-Fi is having another Bat-marathon tomorrow (Monday, May 14) from 11 am to 4 pm. I'll come back with a list of the episodes to air.

I am also so bad (or to me, good) that I write fanfiction based on the show. So far, I have written three two-parters for a site called the The Batgirl Bat-Trap Homepage, which houses fanfiction that continues the continuity of the 1960s series. Currently, I am working on another two-parter, which will debut in the fall, and I have two more in the works. Also, the current editor of the site, twof, may be stepping down in January 2003, and I may be taking his place. Below are what I have done so far.

Part 1: Gender Bender
    Part 2: With More to Render

Part 1: Guests From Beyond
    Part 2: Breaking the Earthly Bond

Part 1: Making Headlines
    Part 2: Beating Deadlines

Have a great week!

nerdgirl :)

6. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

i rember watching that show. i loved it. but i hate it now.

7. Kylewayne

Kylewayne Mrs. Outlander00

To the Batmobile...let's go
    Atomic battery is to power
    Turbine is up to speed...
    Roger, ready to move out!!!
    :p

Ok, as you can see...I loved that show when I was a little kid. It was funny seing Dick Grayson pop-up with these stupid lines " Holy Guacamole Batman :p ". Grayson did look dorky in that show:D Then again...they all did:rolleyes: Now I am wondering what kept me glued to that show as a kid. Oh well!, it was a good show for that time, it was funny, goofy, and silly. Adam West was great as Batman...I just don't remember who was the actor who played Grayson.

BTW, this is a good topic Joker85!!! :D

PS: Julie Newmar and the rest of the old crew were great:)

8. joker

joker Rock N' Roll Heart

best line ever:holy pot roast batman!

9. nerdgirl

nerdgirl Tree-hugging hippee

Hi everyone!

As I promised earlier, I'm now back to list the 10 episodes that will air later today on the Sci-Fi channel. If you don't have these and want them, I highly suggest that you get your VCRs ready!

Note: All of the times listed are in Eastern Daylight Time. Please check your local listings for other time zones. :)

Monday, May 14, 2001

11:00 am--A PIECE OF THE ACTION (PT 1)--A Green Hornet team-up
    11:30 am--BATMAN'S SATISFACTION (PT 2)
    12:00 pm--FINE FEATHERED FINKS (PT 1)
    12:30 pm--THE PENGUIN'S A JINX (PT 2)
    1:00 pm--ICE SPY (PT 1)
    1:30 pm--THE DUO DEFY (PT 2)
    2:00 pm--THE WAIL OF THE SIREN
    2:30 pm--LOUIS, THE LILAC
    3:00 pm--THE JOKER'S LAST LAUGH (PT 1)
    3:30 pm--THE JOKER'S EPITAPH (PT 2)

There is another marathon coming up on a Monday in June.

After today, the next Bat-marathon will run on Monday, June 18 from 11 am to 4 pm EDT. Below is the schedule for that day.

Monday, June 18, 2001

11:00 am--NORA CLAVICLE AND THE LADIES' CRIME CLUB
    11:30 am--SURF'S UP! JOKER'S UNDER!
    12:00 pm--THE RING OF WAX (PT 1)
    12:30 pm--GIVE 'EM THE AXE (PT 2)
    1:00 pm--THE BLACK WIDOW STRIKES AGAIN (PT 1)
    1:30 pm--CAUGHT IN THE SPIDER'S DEN (PT 2)
    2:00 pm--THE SPELL OF TUT (PT 1)
    2:30 pm--TUT'S CASE IS SHUT (PT 2)
    3:00 pm--DEATH IN SLOW MOTION (PT 1)
    3:30 pm--THE RIDDLER'S FALSE NOTION (PT 2)

Usually, the Sci-Fi Channel runs one of these marathons one Monday per month as part of their Superhero Land extravaganzas. There is no information on the July marathon, but when I get it, I'll pass it along to you!

Have a brilliant day!

nerdgirl :)

10. Domino

Domino Active Member

I was just a small child when the show first aired in January, 1966(yes, I am old) but I loved it! I pinned a towel around my neck and ran around like Batman and Robin, beginning a lifelong interest in the character. I still love the show today if for nothing else than nostalgic reasons.

11. RAMPAGE

RAMPAGE Member

Be sure to tell us about that Green Hornet crossover. Man, that'd be cool.

Question: How come Green Hornet always fought when it was Kato (his driver) that could really kick butt?

12. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

That's funny - I hated it then and I hate it now!

13. Kylewayne

Kylewayne Mrs. Outlander00

And why didn't you like it ...hmmm...inquiring minds wants to know ? :p

14. Clayface

One word: camp.

15. Domino

Domino Active Member

The Batman TV show was as Pinky and the Brain is; that is to say, it was great for little kids who didn't know any better, and it had double entendres and nostalgia for adults. Building a show for two simultaneous demographics is a great method for getting a successful show.

16. Clayface

Funny, I always hated Pinky and the Brain too! :eek:

17. Inque

Inque Liquid Darkness

[color=6666cc] what's wrong with pinky and the brain?!?!? i loved pinky and the brain!!!!!![/color]

18. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry Inky, Pinkie & The Brain left me slightly cold... except that one where they tried to take over the world.....

:D

19. Clayface

I just never, ever found that show even slightly amusing. And no one was ever able to tell me what was supposedly so funny about it.

20. Agatha

Agatha Guest

Thanks for creating this thread! I grew up with this show also and I always enjoyed it. The great mix of villains and traps and cameos and cheesy lines!

Nerdgirl thanks so much for posting that schedule...many of those listed are some of my favs! I'm gonna write this down on my calendar to tape! btw...the Minstrel wasn't that great IMO...but naturally you want to complete your set!:)

My fav episodes were:

#1 Dr Cassandra and Kabala - because they let the 6 Arch-Enemies out of jail briefly! Great episode! (hmm...Come to think of it...who were the 6? Joker, Riddler, Penguin, Catwoman (Julie even though Eartha had taken over the role I believe), King Tut and Egghead...is that right?)

#2 Black Widow - Because I love the fact that Tallulah took this part...she was a raging alcoholic and chain smoker and I think this was her last role...she was a great actress...probably the most famous person to appear in the series. (eh...maybe some of the other leading men types who appeared could be argued: Van Johnson, Maurice Evans, oops...cant forget Liberace!! He was pretty famous too!...but the absolute lousiest villain IMO)

#3 Joker's Astrology crimes - I think this was a 3-parter...never forgot that big ugly clam!

Least favs:

#1 Nora Clavicle - B*O*R*I*N*G but appropriate for the times I admit! Loved the way Batman wiggled his ears to get out of her trap though! lol

#2 Chandell - Oh Lord! Need I explain? Reminds me of the Ventriliquist from the cartoons kinda. :)

#3 Lord Phogg and Lady Penelope - I think this was another 3-parter...not too interesting though IMO.

BEST LINE (IMO):

Scene: Batman and Robin are rotating on a giant rotisserie (not sure if rotating actually)...so I think Catwoman (Julie) goes to "baste" them...

Robin says "Holy Oleo*"

to which Catwoman replies "I didn't know you could yodel"

That was so cute...I loved Julie!:)

OK...Enough for now...I just joined this board about an hour ago (I was on the old board but lost track) and I feel like a kid in a candy store!:)

Great thread! I'll be back!:)

*Oleo (for the benefit of you youngsters) is another name for margarine...thus Robin's exclamation upon being basted! I haven't seen it referred to as oleo in ages.