1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: TAS on DVD Part 2

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by BrianUK, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baggins

baggins Member

Another thing about region 1 and 2 . Japan is region 2 also.I would have though, that they would have been the same reagion as the U.S (R1).
    Hey!, when you come to think about it , the Japanese , are big cartoon and animation fans.Maybe that holds well for BTAS.
    Come on all you Asian fans get on line and lets us know what you
    think.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The different Regions are a main cause why some series get season releases and other really crappy single disc releases. I really hope BTAS isn't a product of this or we may never see box sets.

3. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

My understanding of the situation regarding certain box sets being released is down to syndication in the US.

Take, for example, Futuruma Season One. Due in Region 2 land next week. Now news on Region 1 release because of syndication.

Now, livining in the Uk, I only have a vague idea how syndication works, but what I'd ask is - Is Batman TAS in syndication presently? If not, there's no excuse for no box sets.

I read somewhere this was the reason South Park and Friends had not been released in box sets in Region One because of syndication. Here in the UK, both series have been released in season by season sets. Friends defo has, though I am not 100% sure about SP.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Rogue Squadron

I think this is the case as well. I've recently heard a rumor of Region 2 'West Wing' full season boxed sets...no region 1 release.

<hope>Hopefully, we'll still get our BTAS full-season boxed sets.</hope>

5. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Well, not to mention all our TV shows that have been ending up in Japan for years in season box sets ever since the advent of DVD. I haven't kept up on it over the years, because first I don't have a region free DVD player, and second, if I did, the discs do not come in English, at least the ones I was looking at.

6. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

Yep. your right about 'The West Wing.' It is coming in R2 in a season box set... so is Frasier apparently...

7. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

ha a show about the US presidency...not coming in the US..I personally don't like the show but, wow this is getting stupid WB...just give us some freaking sets...I swear if they win the rights to the 60s batman they better not just ra-air it...if they even do that...I and others want it in SEASON SETS not that best of BS...and why oh why does Warner just thow all its animation to WB family home entertainment (who butchers and half asses things)? just because its animated doesn't mean its "wholesome faimily fun"...WB needs to get its act together..

8. James Harvey

Hmmm..both Frasier and The West Wing are WB shows...see a pattern? This is getting bad. My hope for Batman: TAS on DVD sets are dwindling....dwindling....dwindling...

9. peterparker05

peterparker05 The Hopeless Romantic

Is there any new word on the new Batman dtvs?

10. James Harvey

Status remains the same from last week. WB is still going through the scripts, but they may be greenlighted soon.

11. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

West Wing is defo out in the Uk in March. Box set one is released sometime in March, retailing at £32.99, you got half of season 1, with the rumour being second half of season 1 coming two months after...

As for Frasier, I could have sworn that was Paramount... ( it is in the UK, anyway... )

As I have said before, I am happy to buy 1 batman dvd of the Animated series as a taster, but if it doesn't starting coming as box sets in episode consecutive order...

12. James Harvey

Actually, I may be wrong with Frasier. I think that's Paramount, too. I may have mixed it up with another show. But I do know that WEST WING is a WB show. I reallyy hope WB gets their act togethor pronto.

13. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

You know, reading round the net, the clamour and consensus for Warner series box sets is immense... They have such a good TV cannon... Friends, South Park... they were the poineers of dvd too.

It's very difficult, because you can imagine how tricky it is for the 'marketeers' to deliver the product at the right price to the consumer... but I do feel, and I really don't want to sound too pessimistic here, that this welling of opinion will have about as much effect as a bean thrown at a charging elephant.

I hope I'm wrong.

#573 Duffy72, Jan 15, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2002
  14. Maxie Zeus

Maxie Zeus Upside Down

I can confirm that Frasier is produced by Paramount. So unless there is some wrinkle in the contracts such that Warners gets the DVD rights (or bought them off of Paramount), then the infection is spreading.

15. baggins

baggins Member

The X-Files is still in syndication, and they have no trouble releasing season sets of them.They are actually ahead of us in the U.S, by a series.I got the first and second series, on region 2 ,and the third and fourth series, on region 1.So they can release them , when they want to. As for the Japanese Region 2 DVDs. The DVDs I've purchased, were in English and Japanese . And with it being animation,and not like
    an old Kung Foo movie ,were the lips don't sync with the voice.It might sound a bit condescending, but I'f you want some of these shows. Buying a multiregion player may be the answer.I know they are not cheep, but they cost a lot less in the States, than in England.That's what all us Sci-Fi fans in the U.K
    have to do to get all your fabulous shows and movies, that are not alway's released in the U.K.We can get most of the latest releases.But for older films?.I't cost me a fortune getting all the old Universal Monster movies(Karloff,Lugosi, Chaney jr) not to mention all the serieal episodes of Flash Gordon.Maybe it's something you may have to take into consideration.

#575 baggins, Jan 16, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2002
  16. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

The syndication issue is quite interesting... my understanding of it is that when a programe is made by Fox and screened first on the Fox Channel, then it is not in effect in syndication. I have always assumed a show is in syndication when it is made but not delivered on the channel responsible for it's inception... anyone shed any light on this from the US?

17. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

#577 Duffy72, Jan 16, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2002
  18. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

Replying to two posts at once:

Syndication is the selling of programs on a station-by-station, market-by-market basis. It's just the way a series is sold...nothing more, nothing less. That a series is in syndication doesn't necessarily mean it's second-run. Though the X-Files is indeed still airing on Fox, episodes from earlier seasons are airing both in syndication and on Fox' basic cable dumping ground FX.

One of the biggest arguments against box sets (not from a fan perspective, of course) is that they tend to be somewhat pricier and bulkier than single/double disc sets, and stores are reluctant to maintain significant copy depth of those titles. This is why Lexx and Farscape are released on individual discs instead of in sets. A huge series like The X-Files can get away with big season boxes, but the 'little guys' find it much more difficult. Even a 6 disc set of a series as well-known as BTAS would probably find it difficult, especially with clueless higher-ups who assume that it's unrealistic that many people would plunk down $50 (or whatever) for a "kids' series". As far as syndication impacting box sets, there's not a hard and fast rule. What I mean is, there's no legal statute or anything saying that a box set can't be released until after a series has gone into syndication.

Basically, when a studio drops the 'syndication' line in a chat or discussion, that's a veiled way of saying that they want syndication cash before putting out any box sets. Syndication is extremely lucrative and absolutely dwarfs video sales of television programming. In fact, it's not unusual at all for popular shows to not actually see a profit until syndication rolls around. Studios take syndication very seriously and don't want to do anything that might possibly affect the amount of money they'll get from individual stations. Although there isn't really any evidence that the presence of box sets will affect syndication viewership to any great extent (sales numbers certainly don't indicate that could be possible), the general theory among similarly disappointed fans is that this is a concession to stations that gobble up syndicated series, basically just to stay on the good side of the stations and get as much money as possible from them. Whether or not there are any actual legal obligations remains to be determined, though it certainly varies from studio to studio and likely from property to property.

Twentieth Television (Fox's syndication/second-run arm), for instance, makes enough cash in syndication that they were able to force Fox Home Video to delay the first season set of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for a full year. Though FHV is trying to work around this and release box sets more quickly, it doesn't appear realistic for the time being for season sets of a series that hasn't at least gotten a single spin in syndication. (The release of Buffy followed a month after every episode had aired once in syndication, and before anyone tries to correct me, syndication is not limited to its airings on FX. If you want to get technical, cable airings aren't syndication as defined by the majority in the industry, but that's a story for another day.) It's definitely a mess. If you like a Fox series that's currently on the air, it'll probably be in its sixth season before you see any season boxes. If the series dies before that point, a DVD release is unlikely since execs probably won't see a release as worth the effort. There are exceptions, of course, as Millenium is supposedly slated for a release later this year. I'm hoping things'll turn around in this department for Fox in the not too terribly distant future. The fourth season set of Buffy should be out late next Spring, and I'd love to have an Angel box set released alongside it.

Syndication has absolutely nothing to do with South Park sets, and if Warner Bros. is saying anything different, then they're blowing smoke up somewhere rather unpleasant. :) Much in the same way that HBO and Showtime have released sets of such titles as Sex And The City, Queer As Folk, and the Sopranos, South Park's content makes widespread syndication unrealistic. Video releases are basically the only way to directly make any additional cash off of those episodes well after the fact. I think one major problem with South Park might be that its fan base is a bit younger and hass less disposable income than devoted fans of those other series I mentioned that can get away with $70-$110 box sets. The decision is theirs and theirs alone. Friends, on the other hand, is doing insanely well in syndication, and WB isn't in a rush to offer anything that might significantly impact people tuning in a couple of times a night. The same goes for Seinfeld, which is raking in so much cash that I doubt anyone of influence has even put any thought into season sets.

Golly, that's a long post.

19. James Harvey

That's the downside to releasing a BTAS Box set. The uneducated will likely scoff at it, as just another kiddie show.

20. baggins

baggins Member

That's what I'm trying to get across.If there is a series box set , that you can't buy because of syndication. Maybe it's time to purchase a multiregion DVD player.I know they are not cheep, but they are more expensive to buy in the U.K.

Some DVDs are cheeper to buy on region 1 than region 2 in the U.K.
    I know most of the R1 DVDs are imported from Canada.
    I don't know if R1 DVDs are more expensive to buy in the U.S than Canada. Maybe DG can shed some light on this.

My point is, surely there must be a market for imported DVDs , in a place the size of the U.S.

Friends for example have had 7 seasons released in the U.K.
    All I'm trying to say is, that it's an option, worth thinking about.
    As BTAS, which started all this. If it is released in english on another region , surely that's better than having no whole series box sets at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.