1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman: TAS on DVD Part 2

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by BrianUK, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!
    Administrator

I believe this is correct. From the HTF's last chat with Fox in July:

<RonEpstein> Peter, another question from moi. I am happy to see that you have noticed a demand for Fox TV product. Are we any closer to getting the 60's LOST IN SPACE or BATMAN on DVD yet?

<PeterStaddon> We don't have the rights to Lost in Space any more, and the Batman series is tied up in legal gridlock like you wouldn't believe. I'd love to get the Batman TV series out there, it will be interesting to see how the Batman film does - the commentary is hillarious!

2. Blue121

Blue121 Active Member

i live in so cal, i looked it up in the phonebook

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Interesting. I was told WB has rights but maybe (hopefully) that'll change.

Well - less than 5 months until we get those great animated DVDs. Any comments on the discs - now that the specs have been revealed, etc...?

4. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

actually just a question, the scooby discs, was the second one, also in chrological order becuase its called "spookiest tales" which leads me to beleive after the pilot disc, they got lazy....I hope not becuase if that any indication batman may see the legend begins and then, "the greatest mysteries" or some poo like that....I'm a little worried...oh DG I got another question, do you think we should start a batman 60s dvd thread too? the subject seems to be quite popular...it could cover the news on the court rulings and such...

5. James Harvey

Hey Zorbak - Sure! Start a 1960's Batman DVD thread. Feel free!

I, too, am bit worried that WB will get lazy after this. I think the 2nd Scooby disc was out of order. I'm not sure, but I remember it being said somewheres. I'm hoping this won't be the case for Batman...

6. James Harvey

And just for confirmation (and to keep the thread moving towards "Part 3") the 2nd Scooby disc was a compilation disc with various episodes...crud...

7. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

But did Scooby fans sign petitions and all sorts of lobbying to get the Scooby discs put out in order? I really don't know, cuz I don't visit any Scooby sites.

8. James Harvey

I heard nothing of the sort, unfortunatly. I'll do some searching. Also, Timm assures me that the original audio commentary om ROTJ is COMPLETELY different. I'll have info on the newspage in the next day or so.

9. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Well, if the Scooby Fans didn't petition WB for that, then oh well, but they know what we want, so they would be fools not to put the product out that way. After all, if they seriously want sales, then putting out the DVDs in order is the wisest thing they could do.

10. James Harvey

Exactly, and with so many other companies going forth with this, they'd be idiots not to.

11. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

Well, you know, I really want Warner to release Batman Animated in Box sets... eveyone is doing it now and there's bound to be more to come... I'm locked in for all the animated dvds that are coming on April 23rd... but I will be gutted if Warner then follow up the disc with... Batman Vs The Joker - The Best of. No No! No! No! No.

All I can say is that if Dick Grayson has any say with the creators ( who may have a little sway on the releases ) politely explain the obvious.

I mean, what does it take to impress the bigwigs on this one?

12. James Harvey

You better believe I've been getting my input in their as much as I can, but unfortunatly the fans aren't usually the primary audience that WB responds to. WB usually responds to money, first...

13. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

Yeah.. it's a bit of a catch 22 situation.

They don't give us what we want, so the product won't sell = so then, some accountant no doubt goes 'hmmm... these discs didn't sell... lets release some more of the same, hey! What about best ofs? - people like to see Batman face the Joker... see what happens and hope for the best they sell.'
    Well, they might, but I can't imagine in huge quantaties.

On the other hand, the discs may sell and the accountant might go 'Good. We'll continue to release them 5 episodes per disc until...' well, it'll be until people get bored of buying 5 eps per disc over a long period of time, especailly when Star Trek, Simpsons, Futurama fans can go out and buy whole seasons in one fell swoop.

I'm no sales expert, but into todays DVD market everyone is cryng out for ( and gobbling up ) box sets of their fave tv show. With dvd we have the most pristine and robust format for home entertainment ever.

I would be such a shame if the Batman Animated dvd releases were too fizzle out...

You know, I can't bring myself to watch them anymore on that archaic video format... :)

14. James Harvey

I thinkthere's a great chance we'll get season sets, or even box episode sets. Box sets of TV shows are the current fad, and will be for quite sometime. Ther eis always demand for these shows and companie shave been meeting them. WB just needs to smarten up and get on the bandwagon...

15. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

Well, I'm just glad your championing the cause - hopefully Warner will see sense, but there's always one fly in the ointment...

Mind you, you can't imagine what it's like living in the UK.

The series stopped showing at one point, and from my calculations, we only ever saw 70 episodes here. They were always showed in 2 segments, 1 b4 a commercial break and the rest after... :( ( I understand why that was done of course ) but the show/image was further ruined because the saturday mornig program that BTAS was screened on always bunged their logo in the left hand corner of the screen, then ran competition phone numbers & messages across the screen.

Oh dear. I'm sounding like the comic book guy in the Simpsons...
    You know, what is his name?

16. James Harvey

During Promotions and stuff, TELETOON would do the exact same thing. Sometimes they had a banner that would take up 1/3 of it's screen just to push some contest. Got really annoying. Thankfully on YTV (where BATMAN aired), the logo only showed up twice per episodes, for 5 seconds each time.

17. Duffy72

Duffy72 Member

That type of stuff ( logos, comercial breaks etc ) has stopped me watching Batman Of The Future ( as it's known over here ), Superman and Batman TAS on the cartoon network.

Out of interest, how may episodes of Superman The Animated series were made? After much Hype and Hullabaloo, the network screened 10. All of which ( somewhere ) I have on tape. Again, I'd swoop on these if they were released on DVD.

18. baggins

baggins Member

You would think that most T.V season box sets would be shows that are still fresh in the fans minds. I know that series from the sixties such as Thunderbirds and Stingray to name but two.Have done tremendous buisness in the U.K because they have been shown on prime time , and on a national television channel(BBC 2), and shown the whole series.This is another reason why you would have thought BTAS would have been done by now in series box sets.
    Trying to read between the lines the way some of you guy's have been discussing the Scooby Doo DVDs, it does not look too good.
    Oh I hope I'm so very wrong. As for the 60s Batman series, I agree with most of the other fans. The show would have probably been done by now if, Fox still owned the rights.
    It's all well and good being fans of certain shows , and wanting them put on DVD. But do these big corporations see thing the way we do.It seems to me that most of the shows, only get put on DVD if they are still in production for network programing.Or to tie in with a movie release.
    Scooby Doo is a prime example, with the release of the live action movie in the summer.Spider-Man will be the same.
    Sci-Fi , as you all now is massive the whole world over.And these's
    things(DVDs) sell like hot cakes , or should do.Is that enough for some of these executives.To my knowlage there has not been a season box set of an animated show yet?. I don't count the Simpsons or South Park , they are animated sit coms. I know I've harped on about this befor, but WB had a chance here to do the first super hero complete season sets with BTAS.What with winning the Emmy
    and the tenth anniversary and all.

#558 baggins, Jan 14, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2002
  19. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

actually baggins, about the box sets of aniamted shows, we have Tri-Gun and Cowboy Beebop over here...grrrr why can't they just merge region 1 and region 2 I mean geez I want Family Guy on DVD!

20. baggins

baggins Member

That's funny , because they have just released Family Guy ,the first season overhere.But that still sitcom.I'm sorry but I've never heard of those other shows.But would you really call them old fashioned super hero's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.