1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: Mask of the Phantasm" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 11, 2002.

?

Rate and Comment on this DVD Release!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

50.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss the DVD release of Batman: Mask of the Phantasm!

[​IMG]

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    Studio: Warner Home Video
    Release Date: December 21st, 1999

Synopsis: Unmasking the Phantasm is just one of the twists in Batman: Mask of Phantasm, "one of the most imaginative films of the past year" (Chuck Rich, Westwood One). Only here will you discover all-new revelations about Batman's past, his arch rival the Joker and the most grueling battle of Batman's life - the choice between his love of a beautiful woman and his vow to be the defender of right. Batman: Mask of Phantasm is a "mystery that is genuinely absorbing, suspenseful and moving" (Cincinnati Enquirer) and a film no fan should be without! Can the Dark Knight elude the police, capture the Phantasm and clear his name?

Special Features:
    -Theatrical trailer

Please post all discussions, comments, etc, about the DVD here!

2. ZorBrak

ZorBrak I AM A BUFFET OF MANLINESS.

the trailer did suck...bad, the one on the dvd...it made me not want to watch it almost...almost :D

3. BrendaBat

BrendaBat WTF!?

I also wish that the DVD had more extras. Though I had a lot of fun watching it in french:D. The Joker sounds AWFUL au français!

4. Batman's Biggest Fan

yeah I can agree with you all on that

5. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

With WB's Batman:TAS sets coming out, maybe we'll actually get a MOTP: SE, or at least a re-issue (I can't find this DVD anywhere and want it bad cuz my tape broke).

6. The Detective

The Detective Active Member

Yeah a reissue SE would be great though it might be a little late to get together any real features.

7. Robin

Robin Guest

I would love to see this reisused when Batman (1989) and Batman Returns are reissued next year for the new Batman flick. This definitely deserves it.

8. Silly McGooses

The thing is, they allready have a good amount of material to use. There was an HBO documentary, tons of concept art, etc.

9. Phantasm

Phantasm Bittersweet Symphony.

oh wow...i know about the HBO special.I believe it was titled "Behind the Mask".I NEVER got to see it though,do u guys know anyway that it's possible for me to see it.Anywhere on the net for instance?It would be a delight to see what dana deleny has to say about andi..

10. Silly McGooses

I've never seen the HBO documentary either, just heard about it.

Perhaps we'll see said documentary on an upcomming B:TAS multi-disc set?

11. The Jazzman

The Jazzman thug, louse, legend

Is there a way we could band together and petition WB for a special edition dvd of this wonderful film with commentary and other such features as found in the BB: ROTJ Uncut DVD? Seeing all these recent threads regarding the film and this succession of positive responses from first-time viewers and old-schoolers alike gives me the impression that it was more of a critical success in the long term than intially perceived or expected by all parties involved. It seems the film has stood the test of time so far and become a hallmark in the DCAU mythos, why not give it some official notice with a new dvd, perhaps killing two birds with one stone as a marketing tie-in with the summer release of Batman Begins.

12. Jason One

Jason One Member

I just watched Mask of the Phantasm for the first time in years. I have to agree that it's excellent, for all the same reasons others have already mentioned. The story, score, and action stand out for me, as do the more adult qualities.

Having just watched all 85 episodes of the series on DVD, I was surprised at the ramped up violence in Phantasm: Joker's tooth getting knocked out, both he and Batman bleeding, people actually dying, etc. It was kind of refreshing to see these things after the more sanitized action of the series.

One thing I've been wondering about is the Joker's backstory. I'm surprised I don't see more discussion about it here, since it strikes me as being somewhat underwhelming. In Phantasm, it's revealed he was a mobster. Then in "Make 'Em Laugh," we see that he also used to be a stand-up comedian. So, his path to become an evil criminal mastermind was:

1. Jack Napier goes to work for the mob.
    2. He gains weight, adopts a stage name, and tries out a career as a stand-up comic.
    3. After being dragged off stage at the Gotham Comedy Competition, he starts exercising, and becomes the Joker.

I don't know. It's not quite as powerful as, say, Two Face or Mr. Freeze's origins. :)

13. Silly McGooses

I just bought the DVD and you know what? even if it's cropped, the movie looks waaaaaay better in widescreen. it's kins of like the first season of jl. for some reason, it just works better, lots of the shots work better, with them black bars.

14. Hades

Hades Active Member

I just rewatched my Mask of the Phantasm DVD for the first time in about 3-4 years, and oh my god, that DVD is so bare bones it isn't even funny. No commentaries. No 5.1 audio. No extras. Nothing but a trailer.

This is definitely a movie that deserves a rerelease without being a double-sided disc.

15. A.J

A.J Active Member

I second you on that! I got the DVD along with all the other movies 2 weeks ago (9$ each) and I couldnt believe what a crappy release it was...I loved the widescreen/fullscreen format but a trailer as an extra? LOL I did nothing else than sit & Laugh at it...I believe its been more than 10 years since it debut in theather right? If that´d be the case then dont you think they could make a 10th anniversary release or whatever new about it...?

16. Blue Zeo

Blue Zeo CRY FOR THE MOON!

It wasn't even real widescreen, it was matted.

17. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

But to be fair, there's no such thing as "real widescreen" for MOTP. It was produced in the full-screen format, (because it was to be a video release initially.) Then, when it was released in the theater, they matted the presentation to make it "Widescreen." So this isn't something you can fault the disc on. Even if there is a better release of it down the line, you'd still get the same "matted" presentation, just hopefully a better transfer of it.

18. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Do you mean the transfer was matted? Because I remember reading how the production had to scramble at the last minute to reformat everything to 1.85:1 when WB upgraded it to feature release instead of DTV.

Yeah, HBO's "Behind the Mask" is a neat little documentary. It's only 15 minutes long, but they talk to a lot of people. There's also some nice (though brief) scattered footage of the cast in the recording studio, which includes some funny bits like Kevin Conroy and Dana Delaney joking about the Bruce/Andrea kiss, and Mark Hamill going "Boy, that makes me woozy" after doing a big Joker laugh. I've got a decent copy I recorded off TV at the time, but I'd like to see a cleaner copy.

A commentary would be nice, along with a digital remastering. Maybe even a new featurette. Early on, a story with Bane and the concept that what would later become the episode "Trial" were considered to be the feature film story, so they could talk about that. MASK OF THE PHANTASM would definitely benefit from a Special Edition release. It probably wouldn't even have to be a 2-disc set.

19. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I'm surprised that, considering how much love this movie gets from the fans, that the WB hasn't done anything with it; it would be a nice surprise addition to the four special-edition Bat-releases this October, that's for certain. I'm holding off buying MOTP on DVD until they give us some extras.

-Tim

20. Arcadia

Arcadia New Member

I'm house-sitting for a friend at the moment and I just took advantage of the opportunity to use my friend's big ole flat screen tv to watch my copy of MotP. I hoped that the sound would have been better since I'm acccustomed to watching the movie on my far less spiffy tv at home. Sadly, the sound wasn't much better. So yes, WB Home Video: Please re-release a special edition of MotP.

Seeing it for the first time in all of its big ole flat screen glory and noticing that it was kind graphic, I couldn't help but think: Whoa, you go Bruce!