"Batman: Gotham Knight" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Rate And Comment On This Feature!

1. *****

36.1%
  2. ****1/2

14.4%
  3. ****

17.5%
  4. ***1/2

11.3%
  5. ***

3.1%
  6. **1/2

6.2%
  7. **

5.2%
  8. *1/2

2.1%
  9. *

2.1%
  10. 1/2

2.1%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Experience the journey from Batman to Dark Knight!

[​IMG]

Batman: Gotham Knight
    Release Date: July 8th, 2008

Executive Producer: Bruce Timm
    Story by: Jordan Goldberg, Josh Olson, Greg Rucka, David Goyer, Brian Azzarello, Alan Burnett
    Directed by: Shojiro Nishimi, Futoshi Higashide, Hiroshi Morioka, Yasuhiro Aoki, Toshiyuki Kubooka, Jong-Sik Nam

Synopsis: Acclaimed screenwriters, including David Goyer (Batman Begins), Josh Olson (A History of Violence), and Alan Burnett (Batman: The Animated Series) join forces with revered animation filmmakers on six spellbinding chapters chronicling Batman's transition from novice crimefighter to The Dark Knight. These globe-spanning adventures pit Batman against the fearsome Scarecrow, the freakish Killer Croc and the unerring marksman Deadshot. Froms ome of the world's most visionary animators comes a thrilling depiction of Batman as man, myth and legend.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -Batman: Gotham Knight DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Feature Review (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman "Child of Dreams" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman "Death Mask" Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Justice League: The New Frontier Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Superman Doomsday Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the feature film. If you wish to talk about the DVD release, please click on the appropriate link above. We appreciate and encourage discussion. Please keep your posts civil, thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material. We will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. Please keep discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. BROKEN BOY BLUE

BROKEN BOY BLUE It's He-Man! Wait ... He-Man?

Just watched this last night, it was GREAT. My fav story was "In Darkness Dwells". The look and feel of this one was just awesome.

3. thedanmachine

thedanmachine gomu gomu no custom title

Have I Got A Story For You: Fun little story. The over-exaggeration of everyone's movements and bad dialogue annoyed me a bit but it was decent overall.

Crossfire: The best story, in my opinion on the dvd. Batman's "No You won't" line in the end was awesome.

Field Test: Boring. Cool concept with the new technology and stuff but just boring to me.

In Darkness Dwells: A huge letdown. I thought this was gonna be spectacular, instead I get a rush of nonsense. They build up Killer Croc to where you think he's going to have an awesome fight with Batman, and then....Batman dodges a punch, gets hit, gets bitten, puts explosives in Croc's mouth, Croc leaves. Thats it. Had five minutes been added to this story then it could have been better but it was just a letdown.

Working Through Pain: Another cool little story. I like the idea of it and also like Batman's deal with the guns.

Deadshot: While not as much of a letdown as In Darkness Dwells, I still was disappointed with this one. The only thing I really enjoyed about it was the good animation.

Thats my opinion on it. I was really hoping for something spectacular, but I found it all to be just average.

4. Ed Liu

Ed Liu Grumpy Gorilla

We've got two reviews of Batman Gotham Knight on the News, from Maxie Zeus and from me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have a feature article on discovering anime from the same studios and talent of the individual Gotham Knight sequences:

[​IMG]

One thing I will say about Gotham Knight vs. The Animatrix is that The Animatrix had the name-brand anime talent at the time, while Gotham Knight seems to be the up-and-coming talent instead. I had heard of a number of the people behind the shorts in The Animatrix, even with the pathetically limited knowledge of anime I had at the time, but I hadn't heard of any of the people who did Gotham Knight.

-- Ed

5. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 New Member

Good movie.I like it just as much as "Batman Begins".My least favourite segment was "Have I got a story for you" just because the animation bugged me and it just seemed a bit weak.I loved the other 5 segments especially "Crossfire" and "Deadshot".I'm really surprised that,even though the segment wasn't long, Croc and Scarecrow had little screen time.Overall, good movie,great inspiration for ideas and highly recommended for Anime,animation,Batman and "Batman Begins" fans.My Rating:9/10.

6. dawnyoshi

dawnyoshi Lurking and hating since 2002!

Just to get discussions started, posting my little mini-review from the big thread.

Doing seperate reviews for each story:

Have I Got a Story to Tell: Terrible. I hated these "kid's perspective" stories from the original series and redoing it doesn't make them any better. Just bad. Predictable. Animation style was not something I could appreciate. Big disappointment.

Crossfire: Excellent. Much better than the previous one. Great storyline. Nice connection to the films. The visuals and shots in this segment are gorgeous. VERY well done. This definitely is sucking me into Gotham Knight.

Field Test: Ghost in the Shell + Batman = this stylistic short. Loved it. Conroy's voice doesn't particularly suit the design of the Bruce Wayne in this style but nonetheless it is a very impressive piece. Kept me hooked.

In Darkness Dwells: Gorgeous. Unique style blending an unfinished villain (Scarecrow) into Gotham again. Designs for this style are freaking awesome.

Working Through Pain: Another stunning short. Loved this one. A great backstory to Bruce Wayne. Beautifully done.

Deadshot: the big finale piece that connects the past few shorts together. Nice tie-ins. Great animation, best suited for this tense fight between Bats and Deadshot. Loved it.

Overall, only part I hated was Story, which was beyond bad. The others however, were beyond good. This is one DVD I'll be happy to have for years.

7. Harley_Quinn

Harley_Quinn Honey, get mommy’s bazooka

dawnyoshi sounds like it's mostly a hit, can't wait to check it out tonite!

8. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses New Member

** from me.

I have to say, I was extremely dissapointed. And my expectations weren't even high--I just wanted to watch a few decent Batman stories to tide me over before next Friday. I honestly don't even know how to react to this film.

I guess the good is that it was cool hearing Kevin Conroy again, I suppose. And Gotham looked awesome most of the time. The little tie-ins to Batman Begins were interesting and there were some bits of really cool animation that lasted about five seconds at a time.

But other than that...man, what did I even just watch? I have no idea what I just spent the last seventy minutes looking at. I don't really know what to say. I guess I'll be back when I can put my thoughts into more coherent phrases, right now they're about as incoherent as this film.

9. David Lucas

David Lucas New Member

Where to begin? Batman is easily my favorite superhero of all time, and Timm and Conroy created a world that I was deeply immersed in for 13 years. I remember hearing that Bob Kane and DC gave out some award to Timm and Co for nailing the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman so perfectly in the DCAU.

With that said, I enjoyed Gotham Knight, but would take the DCAU anyday of the week.

Have I Got A Story For You: I've actually heard how bad this episode is, and to be completely honest, I wasn't a big fan of "Legends of The Dark Knight" back when TNBA came out. I found the romp through the campy Batman short hilarious, but just wasn't a fan. So again, to be compeletly honest, I skipped this one.

Crossfire: I really, really loved this episode. The imagery of Bats standing and then slowly walking through a blazing hellfire with those eyes was gorgeous. It makes you realize that it's moments like that that criminals will always remember. It's moments like that that create the mythos of Batman amongst the underworld of Gotham. My only problem is that, as fast as Bats is, and as cool as it was to hear "No.....you won't.", Bats was a little too far away for me to believe he got to the gun fast enough before Maroni could fire.

In Darkness Dwells: Meh. Croc looked cool as hell, so did Scarecrow, but I just really don't have anything to say about this episode. A lot of the reviews I've read online say this is one of the best shorts, but I always find episodes that either deal with the Batman mythos, or with Bruce's training to become Batman far more interesting.

Field Test: Loved it. Loved the more lighthearted design of everything, loved Fox's idea of an EMP bullet deflector. When Bats first used it all I could think about was, "Is he gonna have this in TDK?!?" But as soon as the henchmen caught a ricochet, I instantly knew Bruce was gonna give it back. Despite the fact he didn't shoot the bullet, because of him the bullet hit the guy. Damn near the same thing, next time, it could have gone through an innocent persons head. The idea of sacrificing total security from bullets to keep the people that are shooting at you from accidentally getting killed by their own bullets is so insanely idiotic but goes to show how deep his morals really are.

Again, concepts like that astound me. I loved it.

Working Through Pain: Bruce travels to India and seeks out Monks to teach him how to be in excrutiating pain and not let it overcome you. Deals with Bruce's training, so instantly it's a winner. Cassandra was also a really cool character. I loved the meaning behind her last lines, "I failed you. Taking away your pain is beyond my ability..." Not to mention the fight with the punks was probably my favorite fight in the whole DVD.

Deadshot: Again, everyone said that this was the best of the shorts. I thought the coolest thing in the episode was D.S. killing the hornet with the olive skewer. The only thing I really liked about this episode was the comraderie between Alfred and Bruce, and you really see without the old man, Bats is screwed.

Well, now that that's all said and done with, bring on what will become my #1 favorite movie of all time. (If Batman Begins was good enough to tie for #1 with Goodfellas, there's no way TDK won't whoop both their asses)

10. sdp

sdp God

Have I Got a Story to Tell: A straight rip off of a great TNBA episode and this episode was not as good as the actual episode. With that aside it was still fun to watch the different perspectives.

Crossfire: A story more through the eyes of the detectives was great. Too bad they didn't use estalished characters as say montoya and bennett but a good one. Though Batman did seem a little too powerful taking out everyone..

Field Test: An interesting story of Bruce testing gadgets. Though not sure how much I liked batman wearing something like that.

In Darkness Dwells: Scarecrow and Killer Croc? two big villains and yet this episode is kinda lackluster, not quite enjoyable though I didn't hate it.

Working Through Pain: Fantastic story, the ending left me a little dissapointed but great story indeed, probably my favorite.

Deadshot: I was sure I wouldn't like this one and what do I know it is indeed one of the best stories in the show.

I enjoyed it a lot but I have a lot of gripes:

Each story is too short and because of it when you watch them all you are kinda left with "thats it?". Event hough they're "interlocking" I'd hardly call it that, it had Old TMNT cartoon continuity IMO. Voices, loved Conroy but at times he didn't seem to fit such a young batman, though i did like his darker sounding batman, it was mostly young bruce that sounded odd. They really should have used the cast of the movie. And about that, besides the small subtle references it really isn't that connected to the movie, in fact I might like it more as a stand alone, anyone else think the same?

The most important thing about it is it made me realize that a BTAS could essentially be surpassed easily. The more realistic Batman with less cartoony designs in this movie were great, as a 22 minute show it could easily be better than BTAS. Sad thing is I doubt it'll ever happen.

11. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 New Member

I enjoyed it very much, and it was a Batfan's dream. Unfortunately, it didn't deliver what I hoped it would: an introduction to Batman/anime for average people who don't care for either.

My 70-year old father watched "Mask of the Phantasm" and enjoyed it, even though he thought the plot was predictable. "Return of the Joker" (uncut) was just too ridiculous for him, though, and he fell asleep before the flashback. His first comment about Terry was, "That's a terrible Batman, where's the cape?" and "I read every issue of Batman in the 50s and he could not fly."

"Gotham Knight" goes WAY too much into the realm of cartoon absurdity. My 9-year old brothers will LOVE this, maybe more so than New Frontier. But I can't imagine anyone else in my family watching it.

Gotham Knight does nothing to dispell the notion that anime is a nonsense genre with Loony Toons exaggerations and things that would be impossible in real life. Skewering a bug with a toothpick was nonsense. The gangsters shooting at each other point blank was nonsense. Batman taking the guy's gun away in "Crossfire" was nonsense.

I feel bad being critical, because I know Bruce Timm is going to read this and I don't want to hurt his feelings.

It wasn't a bad anime or a bad Batman. Quite the opposite, it kicked ass by either standard. But I was hoping for something a bit more grounded in reality, like what "Mask of the Phantasm" was for Batman, or what "Death Note" is for anime.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

As opposed to what? These things are exclusive to anime? Welcome to animation. Even Batman: TAS had many "impossible" things happen.

I'm picking up the DVD when I get off work; comments will come later.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2008
  13. SaBaWoJuLe

SaBaWoJuLe New Member

I like this movie. I enjoyed the story, the different animations, and the action. The fact that they were interlocked showed that even continuity, in soem form for another, were still solid between each studios' take on the characters. If there was one thing to point, it's that this movie is NOT a prequel to The Dark Knight. The marketing might've said it, but it must've been marketed that way because we have a live action Batman movie the same month as this, why not add more buzz toward it. What it really is is a Batman Anime movie. No more nor less.

I guess the one thing I'm disappointed in would have to be that for a Batman DTV, I would've wanted one similar to the previous two where they're all based on comic book stories, and this wasn't. I've been hearing The Long Halloween as a Batman DTV, and I would have wanted that than this tie-in. Now, just to make sure peple got it: I liked this movie. An anime movie on Batman made me think they should do one for Superman and Justice League when those movies come around. But in the end, as a Batman DTV, an adaptation of a comic book storyline would've been so much better than a tie-in.

14. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Well, just saw it today and here's my thoughts on all six shorts stories:

"Have I Got a Story For You": This one wasn't too terrible, as everyone else says. And I think I'm the only one who dug the crazy, slippery animation. And I liked the different takes of Batman. It just wasn't as good as the comic book issue or the TNBA episodes they were based off, and since the only connection between this one and the others was the Man In Black, it felt kind of useless.

"Crossfire": This one was a lot better. The sequence with the Man In Black being brought to Arkham was freaky. We also saw detective Crispus Allen making his debut in other media. He reminded me of a bizarro version of Ethan Bennett from The Batman. Though I wish they could have used Montoya. Sadly, this one was a little boring besides the Arkham sequence.

"Field Test": While not as good as the previous story, this one provided an interesting look at the technology Batman uses against crime, and his relationship with Lucius Fox. It also laid some ground for the plot in "Deadshot", and we saw the morals of the Dark Knight when his bulletproof shield gets a gunman critically hurt. However, the design of Bruce didn't fit Conroy's design.

"In Darkness Dwells": I really wanted to love this one. I mean, Batman fighting a fear-toxin crazed Killer Croc and Scarecrow and his followers in the dark sewers sounded like a great premise. However, just something fell "off" about it. It probably wasn't freaky enough or it just felt too short. I mean, the Croc fight was just too short. I did like the freaky designs for Killer Croc and Scarecrow.

"Working Through Pain": My favorite short of the entire movie. This story didn't feel boring, off, short, or useless. The story was simple and effective enough. The best stories always involve Bruce's training, and Cassandra was a compelling character. Best story, hands down.

"Deadshot": My second favorite story in the movie. Yeah, the hornet trick was ripped off from Daredevil. Yeah, it was way too short for the fun ride it was. And yes, Bruce looked like a hideous mutant from the sewers. However, the fact that the revamped version of Deadshot was an utter badass, and that it gave me a new appreciation for the character makes up for it. And it had the best art design of all the movies. The animation was beautiful too.

Overall,

4/5

15. Donomark

Donomark New Member

I just watched it and here's MY opinion.

"Have I got a story for You"-This one was fun. I liked the crazy imaginations of the kids interpretation of Batman, and I absolutely LOVED the backgrounds. I usually never care for the BGs, but this one had eye-popping backgrounds which I just loved. I also loved the ending.

"Crossfire"-Meh, it was alright. I felt really slow until Batman got there, which was kinda cool.

"Field Test"-I actually think Conroy's voice was fine for the Bruce Wayne design. I also liked the weird Batman design with the turtle neck thing. It almost looked more bird-like than Bat-like. Overall it was decent. The animation was cool and I liked the point it reached at the end with the crook injured.

"Darkness...whatever"-This one was decent. The really weird designs were interesting to look at and the fight with Scarecrows men was cool. It wasn't as good as the previews made it look, but it wasn't bad. I liked Batman refusing Gordon's help at the end.

"Working through Pain"-This was THAT ONE. This totally obliterates everything else in the film. This was the one story where they just went for the PG-13 rating and it didn't feel padded or overdramatic. I loved Batman being innjured and just seeping blood. The training was cool, Cassandra was cool, the thing with the guns was unexpected BUT COOL. I just loved the whole short. Easily my favorite."

"Deadshot"-I felt this was WAY too short, I dunno why. Maybe it was after all that buildup about Deadshot being Batman's opposite, and he ends up as some villain. It wasn't bad, but I felt that maybe they showed way too much in the trailer that we basically saw the whole thing already. I just wish it were longer.

Overall, none of the shorts were flat-out bad, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping. WtP brought it up to 4 stars for me, because that was just flawless. I dunno, maybe if the Dark Knight has a sequel, they can try again.

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Bonehead

Batman: Gotham Knight

Or the AniBatrix.

This kind of left me scratching my head. Who exactly is the target audience for this movie? It can't be kids because this movie is completely inappropriate for them. (Of course it's sold in the kids section of my local Target. Nice). And even though this is supposed to take place in the continuity of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I seriously doubt general audiences would enjoy something this completely dark even compared to the Chris Nolan films. I could imagine Anime fans might like this but I'm kind of skeptical about that too because a lot of anime fans think Superheroes are for chumps. Maybe this movie was made so they could see that Superhero movies can be dark and adult too but I'm thinking that a movie with this huge of a budget had better make mad money for the studio to recoup their investment and only counting on anime fans probably won't do that.

It was good to hear Kevin Conroy as Batman again but I honestly think he sounded too old for the part, considering that this version of Batman/ Bruce Wayne is practically a kid. I think they probably should have gone with Jeremy Sisto from New Frontier again. I feel weird saying that since Conroy is my favorite Bat EVER but his voice didn't exactly jibe with the images I was seeing.

I think I'll review the individual segments now while I try to wrap my brain around the whole thing.

Have I Got a Story For You: This was awful and REALLY had me worried about the rest of the movie. The segment is basically a riff on The New Batman Adventures' Legends of the Dark Knight but instead of being told by excitable and appealing kids it's told by skater punks with the collective IQs of 64 slices of American Cheese. I'll admit I really liked the resolution of that kid hitting the heavy with a skateboard because it was unexpected but this was really quite obnoxious othewise. *.

Crossfire: This was frelling unpleasant. Maybe it's just me but when I want to watch a Superhero cartoon I want it to be at least a TINY bit fun. But this was completely sour. This animation was pretty neat in this segment but I was kind of cringing throughout. **.

Field Test: The best of the segments just because you got a pretty good feeling of Batman and his ethics and a nice amount of screen time for a relatively pleasant Bruce Wayne. ***1/2.

In Darkness Dwells: Definitely scary and ambiguous. I still am waiting for the SLIGHTEST hint of something fun happening. No such luck. The Scarecrow is freaky and Killer Croc is nothing at all like I expected but that's about it for the good stuff.. ***.

Working Through Pain: Oh, man parts of this were frickin' revolting. Nasty. And kind of boring otherwise to boot. *1/2.

Deadshot: This was pretty good although the resolution to the whole thing wasn't exactly a great movie climax. I get that they were telling small stories but it would have been nice if the last one had been mind-blowing. This version of Deadshot was cool though. ***.

Movie Overall: **1/2.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

That was fantastic. Worth every dollar. The DC Universe DTV's are now 3 for 3 for five-star quality. Every single story truly portrayed Batman as "The Dark Knight." He was simultaneously human, terrifying, and majestic.

My views on the stories:

Have I Got a Story For You

I can see why this wouldn't be liked as much as the others. It's a light story and even humorous, whereas the others are dead serious. Mecha Batman was amusing. I felt like the very end where the one kid witnesses the real Batman sets the tone for the rest.

Crossfire

I enjoyed this one a LOT, it was my second favorite story. I found it realistic that not every cop would trust Batman. The highlight was obviously the shootout. As an action scene it wasn't as good as others on the DTV, but I was totally absorbed by the imagery of Batman and how the fire was used as a backdrop. I think this story was when he appeared the most terrifying and otherworldly. This story also has my favorite scene by far.

"I'll kill her, I swear to God! I'll do it!"
    *Batman grabs the gun.*
    "No. You won't."

Now that was Batman.

Field Test

A slower paced story, but good. I liked the continuity with Crossfire. I liked how he used his device to manipulate the golf club, and it gave us a nice look at the Bruce Wayne persona. I really enjoyed the twist in this story. My assumption was that this would offer an explanation for how Batman deals with gunfire, but having it result in collateral damage was a brilliant stroke. Having Bruce return the machine at the end really spoke to his character. He'll risk his own life but he won't have other lives on his conscience, even those belonging to criminals.

In Darkness Dwells

Somewhere in the middle. His talk with Gordon toward the beginning really put the Bat in Batman. The Croc fight was passable, but the highlight was easily saving the priest from Scarecrow. As a straightforward crimefighting short it wasn't really a character piece and Deadshot had the best action by a pretty big margin, but it does what it does well.

Working Through Pain

Well, I loved getting a look into Bruce's training, and I'm glad they gave his teacher an actual personality and even some backstory to go along with it. This is obviously the strongest character piece. The ending was lost on me at first, but I think I may understand it now. Finding all of the guns brought back memories about the death of Bruce's parents, which is the pain he's been bearing for all of these years. Bruce telling Alfred he couldn't give him his hand while he was holding all of those guns was symbolic of Cassandra's statement that Bruce's pain was beyond her ability to heal, and possibly Bruce's as well. Do I have this right?

Deadshot

An excellent way to cap it off. This story had the most impressive action BY FAR, with Batman gliding through the air and then having an intense fight aboard the train. It delivered from start to finish. The ending wasn't so much of an ending to the Deadshot story as it was a conclusion to the entire story set.

If there's a central theme to Batman: Gotham Knight, it seems to be the issue of Batman and his relationship with guns. In Crossfire he's seizing a gun in the most awesome moment by far, Field Test is all about countering gunfire, Working Through Pain showed us how guns are central to Bruce's fate and his pain, and in Deadshot he took down a villain who relished in the power of his weaponry. "I feel like I've been trying to stop those two bullets all of my life."

What can I say? With Batman: Gotham Knight, they've done it again. This is required viewing.

18. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 New Member

I had that same issue with Ultimate Avengers, Superman: Doomsday and New Frontier. Though I don't think it's completely inappropriate, but like any PG-13 title, the parent should judge whether their child can handle it or not. Putting it in the children's section gives the idea that it doesn't need to be previewed.

Though we've discussed our different views on violence before. I think gun violence ought to be ugly. Important characters should die, which is why I defended the Transformers movie in another thread. But at the same time, it shouldn't be so damn glamorous. At least this movie didn't have heavy metal blaring during the death scenes, but the violence still looked beautiful on screen (and it disturbs me that I am calling violence "beautiful"). By beautiful I mean "artistic." So much pencil mileage went into that splattering blood that the blood became a thing a beauty, a visual poetry of gore and death. But gore and death should not be poetic. Gore and death should be disgusting and turn one's stomach.

My mother calls BTAS "dark, sinister and depressing." I can't even imagine how she would react to this movie. Adam West it isn't. But overall, it's very much in line with what Batman Begins set up (and what the Dark Knight will, hopefully, pay off).

LOL! You nailed it.

I disagree there. This one was my favorite. Though it sounds like for you, "Working Through Pain" was your experience viewing it.:p

This scene, like so much of the movie, felt like an anthology of everything that wasn't allowed on BTAS. Blood? Check. Death? Check. Bullets hitting people? Check. Cuss words? Check. Violence against women? Check.

I got the same vibe from Superman: Doomsday and New Frontier, though at least they had coherent stories to tell. New Frontier was a deep and brilliant work based on one of the best graphic novels ever written. Gotham Knight had no real story, just some random vignettes.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gotham Knight and its one of my favorite animated films. But it goes on the shelf next to "Transformers: The Movie" as a celebration of violence for fanboys only. It doesn't have enough story to be a great anime, and it contributes nothing to the Batman legacy. It's eye candy, pure and simple.

"Gotham Knight" is to the legacy of Batman what pornography is to fine art: pure self-indulgence and visual gratification, but lacking in substance. Some will embrace it, some will dabble in it and some will reject it wholesale.

19. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Feh, I for one didn't enjoy this out of some obsession with violence. It was a perfectly legitimate portrayal of Batman, and I think the short stories did conspire to highlight a particular aspect of his character. It doesn't have the plot of a movie like Mask of the Phantasm, no, but that wasn't the goal.

20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Bonehead

I agree, but the movie DID seem to be glamourizing it by making it, as you say, "beautiful". It personally turned my stomach but I knew a whole bunch of fanboys would go ape-poopy for it and I was right. I don't even understand why realistic gun violence is even needed for a superhero toon.
    I think Batman Begins was pretty dang dark but if this had been live-action it would have gotten an R rating easily. I'm honestly a little perplexed that it didn't as is.
    It was only fifteen minutes. I could deal.
    And therein lies the problem with these DC Universe DTVs: the assumption that taboo things that WEREN'T on the old DCAU shows are even necessary. I enjoyed JLU and BTAS about a thousand times more than this and I never felt that gut-splattering violence was missing from it. And I feel sorry for anybody who does.
    Doomsday was obnoxious too (although not QUITE as bad) but New Frontier handled all of the adult themes and violence just fine. It didn't exactly NEED it per se but it wasn't really out and out distracting.
    I dunno most candy tastes good. This was just plain sour. The animation looked nice (except for the first segment) but I really didn't enjoy any parts of it at all.