1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: Gotham By Gaslight" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was also reminded of The Batman (I wonder if they got Jeff Matsuda back?), though the only animation also reminded me of other Timm-led films so I'm also wondering if he'll indeed be back in the directing chair for this :)?

2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

So strange... Jeff Matsuda was the first thought that popped into my head too. I have to admit, his style would work beautifully for this (THE BATMAN's Gotham City was practically victorian in design).

It's probably just Jon Suzuki or someone.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

The image doesn't do much for me to evoke the style of Mike Mignola, but I don't want to judge too harshly based on a single picture. Besides, animation can't be too detailed, it is necessary to simplify. The character designer for the two Hellboy Animated movies was Tommy Tejeda.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For those interested, below is just a grab of the Batman: Gotham by Gaslight iTunes image itself. Click on the thumbnail for a closer look.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  5. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

I've just seen the full digital sneak peek. They didn't reveal the voice cast at all, and I can't place Batman's actor for the life of me. It shows alot of great animation and based on the talking heads, it would appear that Bruce Timm is once again the executive producer and Jim Krieg is handling writing duties.

I think the lack of voice cast is because they don't want to trip over themselves in terms of promotion. They've just announced details for Batman vs. Two-Face and it wouldn't do to take focus away from that.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting. Seems like the crew from Batman and Harley Quinn quickly carried over into this movie, which might explain why we're getting the Elsworlds film first next year :).

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

How in the heck did Krieg have time to write two scripts amid work on JLA? Unless it was right before he started. Or the stories are true and Sam Register keeps them locked in over night. :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

And he probably wrote another Scooby-Doo or Lego movie on-top of that :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

Perhaps these DTVs are finally going back to the golden era of quality with films like Public Enemies, Crisis On Two Earth's and Under The Red Hood!

10. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For those interested, here's a quick screengrab of Batman from the Gotham by Gaslight preview featurette, available on the Batman and Harley Quinn home media releases. Click on the thumbnail for a closer look.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I bet @Frontier will love seeing eyes again coming off of Batman and Harley. :p

Naturally, I was a little flummoxed by the wide jaw but it's one still and I haven't watched the sneak peek. Doesn't help that I haven't read the comic in ages either.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, at least they're not attempting the white eyes look on-top of it :rolleyes2:.

It's certainly a different look from Batman then what we're used too...

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The look teeny tiny reminded me of the play Bruce and Terry saw in "Out of the Past" at first but clearly different.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

They need to do more DC features from Elsworlds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I just watched the Sneak Peek. As mentioned before, they don't reveal much and no voice actors are confirmed. Bruce Timm is listed as executive producer, and Jim Krieg is the writer. Mike Carlin (creative director, animator DC Entertainment) is also interviewed. A couple more things:

And I'd like to remind everyone - just in case - that while discussing the contents of the Sneak Peek is allowed, please do not link to or post any illegally uploaded copies of the video.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

How odd they don't credit any of the actors here.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

If the new material is well-written and works well with the original story then perhaps Jim Krieg should script an adaption of Wonder Woman: Amazonia, if such a project is green-lighted. That tale is of similar length to this one.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Having watched the sneak peek, I'll say that I think the voice of Batman sounds familiar, almost like he's been in past movies. His voice reminds me of Greenwood and O'Mara.

We already know Jennifer Carpenter is Selina.

Yuri Lowenthal is definitely Harvey Dent.

That's about it as far as I can make out the voice cast :sweat:.

And Jim Krieg is hilarious :p.

• Like Like x 3
  19. EmaHalJordan

EmaHalJordan Well-Known Member

I bought all the animated movies to this day, but I thought the number of Batman movies would fall with the release of Justice League in theaters and the success of Wonder Woman.
    Seeing we follow in the same way, I made the decision not to continue buying animated movies of Batman! I'll have to wait for Suicide Squad and the Death of Superman!
    It's nothing against Batman, I love a Batman, but these animated films have to be more varied (Hawkman New Gods Aquaman Dr.Fate Atom Flash GL JLA JSA JLI)

#59 EmaHalJordan, Aug 25, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  20. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

Well, I mean, there's not many Pelicans with Batman in them so good on you. Very few Pelicans I've met even know what Batman is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1