1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Eternal (2014 Weekly)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Comic Book Series!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Before the incident with Penguin and Falcone, I thought Bard was completely on the up and up and a genuinely good officer, someone I thought would make a good ally for Batman in the police force that's not Gordon and whose youth could provide conflict or new insight with The Dark Knight. And while I wasn't sure about him after his actions in the aforementioned incident, the Croc arc helped me warm up to him. But in the end I think this means that Gotham, and by extension Batman, need Gordon as Commissioner.

I do feel bad for Vicki though, but I guess dating a guy involved with a secret conspiracy to take over Gotham could lead to a Pulitzer prize-winning story :sweat:.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Hush? Spoiler? September brings surprises!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #22
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY
    Art by JORGE LUCAS

Beacon Tower was designed to save Gotham City, but the Architect has plans to make it the most dangerous weapon the city has ever seen!

BATMAN ETERNAL #23
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY
    Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN and DEREK FRIDOLFS

Catwoman’s secret past has been revealed, and it’s dragging her toward Blackgate Penitentiary! What is her place in the natural order of crime? Only she can decide.

BATMAN ETERNAL #24
    Art by ANDY CLARKE

Spoiler goes head to head with her father, the deadly Cluemaster – and the fate of Gotham City hangs in the balance!

BATMAN ETERNAL #25
    Art by R.M. GUERA

With riots breaking out all over Gotham City, can Batman stop the march toward martial law?

Comments?

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Julia, Alfred's daughter, really surprised me. I didn't think they would be bringing her into the New 52. Seems like there is some history there since she already knows her way around quite easily and it is cool that she knows the secret. But the idea of adding more women to the cast is great. This is the first time the art really didn't hit all the right marks for me too. It looked so dark and murky and the shading just made it all seem dirty. Not a great issue artwise but I love where this story is going.

4. James Harvey

October begins as Hush's plans come to light and Gotham falls further into chaos!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #26
    Art by R.M. GUERA

Martial law is imposed on Gotham City! Learn the secret history of one of Batman’s most dangerous foes as he takes center stage!

BATMAN ETERNAL #27
    Art by JAVIER GARRON

In the grips of martial law, the criminal underground is going berserk – and the only person who can stop it is...Catwoman?!

BATMAN ETERNAL #28
    Art by MEGHAN HETRICK

Can Batman stop Catwoman from becoming the most dangerous person in Gotham City?

BATMAN ETERNAL #29
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV,
    RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY
    Art by SIMON COLEBY

Hell is bursting out of Arkham Asylum, and the only being that can stop it is The Spectre – but first he must stop himself from razing all of Gotham City!

BATMAN ETERNAL #30
    Art by FERNANDO PASARIN

The last time Deacon Blackfire took control of Gotham City, Batman nearly died...How will the city fare now that he wields unspeakable power?

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

The last few issues with Hush have been good, but we're just about to get to the stuff I'm really curious about - the Catwoman stuff. It seems like we're really about to five into her ascension up in the mob world and I can't wait to see that. I think this would be such a cool move for Catwoman's character.

6. James Harvey

Bane and Alfred team up? November should be interesting...

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #31
    Art by FERNANDO PASARIN and MATT RYAN

The team-up you never saw coming - Alfred Pennyworth and...Bane?!

BATMAN ETERNAL #32
    Art by JASON FABOK

The Spoiler is on the case to find the truth behind the nightmare at Arkham!

BATMAN ETERNAL #33
    Art by JASON FABOK

Batman's arsenal of weapons is turned against Gotham City!

BATMAN ETERNAL #34
    Art by JASON FABOK

Is this the end of Wayne Enterprises?

Comments?

7. Wonder Woman

Alfred was great in this issue! I was surprised with how much I enjoyed his team-up with Bane. I like we're getting to see the fallout from Arkham's destruction. And it looks like they confirmed that Knightfall happened. I think they already confirmed that but with the compressed timeline it's hard to tell just exactly what happened. Batman Eternal does read a little fanfiction-y at times but it's still really good.

8. James Harvey

The third and final act of Batman Eternal, laying the groundwork for the future Batman titles, is here!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #35
    Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

The events of Batman Eternal have changed the world of Batman for months ... jump on here to see the new world order! The third act begins with a bang, as Gotham City's police have done the impossible ...“ they've beaten Batman!

BATMAN ETERNAL #36
    Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

The Batmobile is in flames, and Batman's enemies have won ... but reporter Vicki Vale has learned the secret that could turn everything around!

BATMAN ETERNAL #37
    Art by ANDREA MUTTI

Only Catwoman can help Batman now, but Catwoman is long gone! In her place? A woman more ruthless than Batman ever expected!

BATMAN ETERNAL #38
    Art by ANDREA MUTTI

The refugees from Arkham Asylum think there's safety in numbers - but not if one of them is Bane!

BATMAN ETERNAL #39
    Art by RAMON PEREZ

Someone has pieced together the mystery behind the plot to crush Gotham City ... but it's not Batman! The Riddler knows all ... and he'll never tell!

Comments on the December 2014 installments of this weekly series?

9. Wonder Woman

Definitely one of the weaker issues. It seemed like it was kinda running in place more than anything. It didn't make a lot of sense for me for Batman to start going after all his rogues. I get that he has no idea who's tormenting him but it seems like a waste of time. And it looks like Catwoman is going to be helping out Batman in rounding up some of the bad guys. Just 15 issues left.

10. James Harvey

2015 is here as Batman Eternal inches toward its dramatic finale!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #40
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV,
    RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY
    Art by JUAN JOSE RYP

It's three-way battle for survival between Batman, The Riddler...and Mother Nature?

BATMAN ETERNAL #41
    Art by JOE QUINONES

Nanites are tearing The Narrows apart! Can Red Robin stop them while the rest of the city burns?

BATMAN ETERNAL #42
    Art by JOE QUINONES

You've been waiting for the debut of Bluebird - and here it is, though this story may not have a happy ending!

BATMAN ETERNAL #43
    Art by DAVID LAFUENTE

Don't miss this special issue that loops our story all the way back to where it started in BATMAN #28 - but with a twist you won’t see coming!

Comments on the January 2015 installments of this weekly series?

11. Wonder Woman

Bluebird! It's great to see her debut even if her costume has a bit too much going on. I liked that she was able to take down Hatter and that bit with the hat at the end was definitely cool. I wonder just how big her impact will be here with the Batman mythos. It looks like we're about to catch up to that fast-forward issue of Batman from last year as Batman is near finding Spoiler in Catwoman's club.

12. James Harvey

The end is near!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #44
    Art by ACO

One of the only people who knows what truly happened at Arkham Asylum is about to escape Gotham City...but not if Batman gets to him first!

BATMAN ETERNAL #45
    Art by JAVI FERNANDEZ

Nothing in his experience with cutting-edge technology could prepare Batwing for a battle against the vengeful spirits who've taken control of his armor!

BATMAN ETERNAL #46
    Art by ALESSANDRO VITTI

Is Batman eternal? Perhaps...but only one of the Dark Knight's foes truly knows the meaning of the word!

BATMAN ETERNAL #47
    Art by JUAN FERREYRA

In the new order of Gotham City, Selina Kyle holds all the cards...¦and now it's up to master spy Julia Pennyworth to steal them back!

Comments on the February 2015 installments of this weekly series?

13. Wonder Woman

So neither Hush or Ra's are the series' big bad guy so I have a feeling that it'll turn out to be Thomas Wayne Jr. I just realized the series is about to end it's last few issues and with its current pace I can't see how it's going to tie up all the loose ends unless it starts to really really move fast.

14. James Harvey

Everything will be revealed.

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #48
    Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

BATMAN ETERNAL #49
    Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

BATMAN ETERNAL #50
    Art by ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ

BATMAN ETERNAL #51
    Art by ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ

BATMAN ETERNAL #52
    Art by PAULO SIQUEIRA and others

This month in Batman Eternal: The epic Bat-story over a year in the making comes to a stunning end! Gotham City is in flames! Villains are running wild in the streets! Bat-tech has been corrupted! And the mastermind behind it all has put a knife in Batman's ribs! How will the Dark Knight put an end to this nightmare - and how will it shape the face of Gotham City to come?

Comments on the March 2015 installments of this weekly series? Were you satisfied with the conclusion?

15. Wonder Woman

Could Cluemaster really be the big bad behind everything? I never saw that coming! I know we still have two more issues to go but wow - this was definitely a bit of a surprise. Cluemaster?! Interesting twist...

16. James Harvey

The finale is here! Everything is revealed!

BATMAN ETERNAL #52

[​IMG]

Art by PAULO SIQUEIRA and others

The epic Bat-story over a year in the making comes to a stunning end! Gotham City is in flames! Villains are running wild in the streets! Bat-tech has been corrupted! And the mastermind behind it all has put a knife in Batman's ribs! How will the Dark Knight put an end to this nightmare - and how will it shape the face of Gotham City to come?

What are your thoughts on the finale to Batman Eternal?

17. Wonder Woman

That was a great conclusion to the series and I can't wait to see how some of the changes here are carried over after Convergence. Maggie Sawyer in Gotham has me really interested. I was pretty happy with how the whole thing wrapped up even though having Thomas Wayne Jr./Talon be the overall mastermind was a little predictable right from the early weeks of the series, which is why i really liked the Cluemaster twist which I wish panned out a little better. I do like that Spoiler also got a nice redemptive moment after the last issue and her meeting with Tim was a great moment. Overall I'd have to call this series a real success from start to finish. It lots its way a little in the middle and the supernatural stuff didn't entirely work but it was a really fun series all together. This would make a great Omnibus collection if DC ever went for it.