1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Eternal (2014 Weekly)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on this Comic Book Series!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The new weekly series event is here! Everything changes! The first month begins!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #1
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, JOHN LAYMAN, RAY FAWKES and TIM SEELEY
    Art and cover by JASON FABOK

Don't dare miss the start of the Bat-story so big it's going to take every week of the month to tell! A massive cast of Gotham City's best (and worst) examines the relationship between Batman, his allies and his city. In this debut issue, Commissioner James Gordon is caught on the wrong side of the law!

BATMAN ETERNAL #2
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, JOHN LAYMAN, RAY FAWKES and TIM SEELEY

A notorious Batman adversary appears for the first time in The New 52 continuity!

BATMAN ETERNAL #3

A gang war erupts in Gotham City, but the G.C.P.D. doesn’t plan to help Batman stop it. Plus: The return of a fan-favorite Batman supporting character: Stephanie Brown!

BATMAN ETERNAL #4
    Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN

Batman battles Batgirl as Jim Gordon’s troubles take a turn for the worse!

Comments?

2. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

Really enjoyed this first issue, I would say my only complain would be the weird pacing, but I understand that it is a weekly. Look forward to next week!

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

This book has my attention! I imagine since it is a weekly the story won't move as fast but I'm interested to see how the story gets to the opening scene with Bruce strapped to that Bat-signal and the city aflame. I wonder what was the cause of Gordon's little mishap at the end. Could it be someone like the Spellbinder?

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I've gotten more out of these first 3 issues than I have from ALL of Scott Snyder's New 52 Batman. Of course, I think that might have something to do with the 4 other people who are writing this and not Scott Snyder.

5. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Yeah same here, not only is the book shipping every week, but we're actually getting a lot of content.

6. James Harvey

The second month of Batman Eternal begins!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #5
    Art by ANDY CLARKE

As the Dark Knight's weekly series continues, Red Robin takes center stage in a major Gotham City mystery that has Harper and Cullen Row caught in the crosshairs!

BATMAN ETERNAL #6
    Art by TREVOR McCARTHY

Something hellish is brewing in the tunnels under Arkham Asylum, and Batman's going to need the help of The Demon to stop it!

BATMAN ETERNAL #7
    Art by EMANUEL SIMEONI

New players enter the gang war that's setting Gotham City ablaze!

BATMAN ETERNAL #8
    Art by GUILLEM MARCH

Is Stephanie Brown an assassination target?

Comments?

7. Wonder Woman

This was a great issue and it was awesome to see (Red) Robin in the spotlight. I don't think we've barely seen Tim Drake in the Batbooks so it's nice for him to get some attention here. Ther artwork was also really really sharp. This book is really taking off! It's nice to see that it can match Batman and Detective Comics in terms of quality. DC is doing a fine job with their Batcomics!

8. James Harvey

The third month kicks off with some shocking surprises!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #9
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, JOHN LAYMAN and TIM SEELEY
    Art and cover by GUILLEM MARCH

As the weekly Batman epic continues, the questions continue to mount. In this issue, find out why Batman is in Hong Kong teaming up with Mr. Unknown!

BATMAN ETERNAL #10
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, JOHN LAYMAN and TIM SEELEY
    Art and cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Batman and Catwoman – together again! Professor Pyg is back! And we get some answers about Falcone's past, and his motivations!

BATMAN ETERNAL #11
    Art by IAN BERTRAM
    Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

The trial of Jim Gordon begins!

BATMAN ETERNAL #12
    Art by MIKEL JANIN
    Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Jason Bard makes his big play to end the gang war once and for all. And Jim Gordon's trial becomes a family affair!

Comments?

9. Dragonpiece

Great issue, really glad we are finally on focused story arcs now as it makes you more excited for the next week to come. So the last page reveal...wow. Wasn't expecting a relative of Alfred to show up. Guessing it's his niece or something? Either way, intriguing. Also, it's nice to see so much diversity in the new 52 for African American's these past few moths..

10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm not well-read on Batman Incorporated, but getting to see the Batman of Japan in action was neat :).

The identity of the spy catsuit lady who was after Cheng I certainly didn't see coming. I imagine she's a distant relative of Alfred's, and it'll be interesting to see if her inclusion to the story may set or contribute to the eventual storyline of Alfred getting locked up in an insane asylum.

So I wonder if Catwoman is now in Falcone or police custody? I guess there isn't much difference between them now, though if it's strictly the latter then that means Batman is probably going to have to bust her out of jail. Hopefully he gets to punch Forbes in the process :p.

I'm intrigued at what the relationship between Falcone and Selina will end up being. They've crossed paths before, with Selina giving Falcone the scars on his face like in Year One, and have a big grudge against each other... I wonder if Eternal will bring up the possibility that Selina might be Falcone's biological daughter?

11. James Harvey

Month four begins as the twists and surprises mount!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #13
    Art by MIKEL JANIN

A demon from Jim Gordon’s past comes to haunt him in Blackgate while the Gang War threatens to rip Gotham City apart! Can Jason Bard keep the order without coming head to head with Batman himself?

BATMAN ETERNAL #14
    Art by JASON FABOK
    Cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

As the Gang War reaches a bloody climax, Batman and Jason Bard must bear witness to the horrifying last stand of The Penguin! Plus, Jim Gordon makes a terrible decision that will shape the rest of his life.

BATMAN ETERNAL #15
    Art by DUSTIN NGUYEN and DEREK FRIDOLFS

Who is behind the hell beneath Arkham Asylum? Can Batwing and Jim Corrigan hope to stop it before it breaks out and consumes all of Gotham City?

BATMAN ETERNAL #16

Red Robin is out to solve the mystery of the nanovirus spreading among Gotham City’s poorest, but Harper Row isn’t going to let him do it alone! Can Batwing escape the clutches of The Joker’s Daughter?

BATMAN ETERNAL #17

Years ago, Gotham City faced a power Batman could barely overcome...Now, deep beneath Arkham Asylum, he will rise again, and the city will know his wrath...

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

So wow, that Penguin scene was great in #14! I'll admit I've never been a big fan of the character until they did him over as a mob boss but they did a great job making him a physical threat. He definitely stood his ground against Falcone. It did seem like the book took a few nods from Batman Returns too.

I am interested to see where the Catwoman stuff is going, especially with the news of her revamped book direction and creative team (which looks amazing).

But, ugh, here comes Joker's Daughter.

13. Dragonpiece

I really enjoyed this arc, Tynion's definitely been moving the plot along in a very nice way, time for the last arc before act 2 begins.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, in just a few issues the GCPD have managed to collar Falcone, Penguin, Forbes, and most of their men while also nipping this gang war in the bud. And they didn't even need much help from Batman to do it :p.

Though that said, even if there was some success, Batman made it clear that it came at a cost and that Bard isn't as squeaky clean as he may have appeared at the start. He's willing to cross some moral boundaries that Batman and Gordon would never consider, for the greater good, and that stands between him and Batman forming a true partnership.

Gordon talked about how maybe his time is up and how he should just lie down for someone new and better to take up his position, but I feel that scene at the end with Bard was meant to convey how how necessary he still is to the franchise. Either that, or that maybe Batman needs to work with someone whose willing to bend rules even he won't? Though a part of that just doesn't sit right with me :shrug:.

Looks like we're finally going to get in depth with the Batwing and Spectre storyline in Arkham and I'm looking forward to reading it :).

#14 Frontier, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  15. rggkjg1

Why does Batman give Bard the cold shoulder for tipping off the Penguin (thus resulting in indirect possible unnecessary lives lost) in the last issue, but one issue later it seemingly looks like Batman has an all is forgiven attitude on the matter? I figured it wasn't going to end well for this new guy cop when we get to the end of this series, but now I'm thinking if it doesn't end well, it will be because of Batman.

16. Dragonpiece

That caught me off guard also, but I am thinking that some time has passed since last issue in this scene and that Bard's extreme efforts at cleaning up Gotham are working and while Batman may not like it, it's keeping the city going and alive and it's what's best for the city.

17. James Harvey

A new month means new adventures!

[​IMG]

BATMAN ETERNAL #18
    Art by ANDY CLARKE

Batgirl, Batwoman and Jason Todd race to find evidence that may save Commissioner Gordon!

BATMAN ETERNAL #19
    Art by EMANUEL SIMEONI

Jason Bard and Batman are forced to help Killer Croc when his followers are attacked by demonic monsters from The Black Maze!

BATMAN ETERNAL #20
    Art by EMANUEL SIMEONI

James Gordon takes on Falcone's crime army from inside Blackgate!

BATMAN ETERNAL #21
    Art by JASON FABOK

After being injected with Fear Toxin, Alfred is dragged away to Arkham Asylum!

Comments?

18. Wonder Woman

Spoiler! How great was the last two-page sequence introducing Spoiler into the comic? We all knew it was coming but it still made for a great way to wrap up the issue.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Spoiler? Don't you mean Hush :confused:?

But yeah, Hush showing up and injecting Alfred with Fear Toxin, and Bard turning out to be in league with the bad guys, was definitely not something I saw coming :eek:.

Though I guess Bard's corruption explains how the GCPD get so bad in the future :sweat:.

I wonder how long Batman will be in the dark about Bard's true alignment? He'll probably notice if the evidence he gave him never ends up being used to help Gordon. Though I wonder if Batman will be too busy dealing with the Architect, and then some ensuing conflicts, to realize it?

Going by Hush's lines towards Alfred, it seems like his New 52 version is still Tommy Elliot. While I'm hesitant to call him as the true Big Bad of Eternal and the person behind everything, it would explain how the person talking in issue one knew Bruce's identity.

I wonder if Alfred revealing the Batcave's location to Julia is a sign she'll end up as the new Penny-One while he's incarcerated in Arkham?

20. rggkjg1

I had a feeling it wasn't going to end well for Bard. Also had a feeling the character was too good to be true. I wouldn't have minded seeing him actually be a good guy (and survive whatever inevitable fate that awaits him and be a recurring character), just for something different.