1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Beyond: Season Two" DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 24, 2006.

?

Rate and Post Your Thoughts on "Batman Beyond: Season 2"

1. *****

41.9%
  2. ****1/2

29.0%
  3. ****

19.4%
  4. ***1/2

6.5%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

3.2%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

Just got this set yesterday, along with JLU's first season. I haven't watched the entire set yet, but I did have enough time to watch the two commentaries and the one featurette. Overall, I found the commentaries to be a whole lot better, especially with Will Friedle in them this time. I haven't heard his normal voice in the longest time. I also watched Splicers and Zeta, and both of them looked great on dvd.

The short silences in the Eggbaby commentary didn't bother me too much, but the disc menus that they made for this set did. The set for the first season looked much better, and obviously took a lot more effort that this one did, so it just seems a shame that they got a bit lazy with the second season. Also, I was hoping for a more informative featurette than what we got, but I can't complain too much because I've been waiting to get Batman Beyond in my DVD collection for years now.

4 out of 5 stars.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

My apologies for the lateness of this review, as I’ve been very busy with the current Superman DVD craze (i.e., Superman: The Ultimate Collector's Edition and Superman Returns).

Surpassing its’ original intention as a futuristic spin-off, Batman Beyond flew onto TV screens and became an instant hit. After a nearly flawless first season, The Tomorrow Knights hits a bit of a bumpy road in the second season. Thankfully, Warner Home Video has collected the entire second season into one complete collection, warts and all!

One can question the merit of this season. There are some true knockouts like "Eyewitness," "The Eggbaby," "Lost Soul," "Earth Mover," and I could go on. However, this season also brought us some of the first real stinkers of the series and the introduction of arguably the most controversial character in Batman Beyond’s short 52 episode life. Yes, I am talking about Max Gibson. There are other threads dedicated to this character, and whether or not she actually helped the Batman Beyond mythos, so I will not waste anymore time on her here.

As many noted, the second season is not as strong as the first. As the creative team moved away from the more corporate evil stories and into the high school, they ran into the proverbial wall that comes with the situation. As Bruce Timm says in one of the extra features on the set, you can’t really have every bad guy come from Terry’s school. If every teacher is a villain in disguise, every school chum involved in some nefarious plot, it becomes too hard to swallow too quickly (of course, if this happens, Jason Hillhouse has some great advice: time to transfer to a new school). So yes, we did see that start to happen in this season, but I don’t think it hindered the show.

The creative team realized what was happening, albeit a teeny bit too late, and moved away from it, resulting in such great episodes as "April Moon" and "Where’s Terry." We finally did get to see more of Terry’s school life, and a lot of the clichés that came with it were thankfully avoided. Yes, there are some missteps along the way, but what series isn’t plagued with the odd mistake or misstep?

Also of note, halfway through the season, the show changed from being traditionally hand-colored to computer coloring, resulting in some rather bright episodes. The first episode to be computer colored, "Eyewitness," oddly enough did not suffer this fate. There is a batch of episodes afterwards that come across as nearly blinding (episodes like "Zeta," "The Last Resort," and "The Eggbaby" come to mind, though I think it was intentional on "The Eggbaby").

There are some misses, but I think the hits overpower them. Yes, the quality ranges from horrid (the woefully misguided "Rats") to alright (such as "Zeta") to genius ("Earth Mover" and "Lost Soul" are pure brilliance). It’s a season that shows the evolution of the show and gives a hint in what to expect for the final collection of episodes, due on DVD in March 2007 (almost a year after the initial season was released). It’s a great collection, giving us both the good and bad, and is definitely worth picking up.

As for the extras? We get a nice featurette, a continuation of the behind-the-scenes discussion presented on the first set. Again, there’s not a lot here that fans will likely not know, but to see the creators actually engage in discussion over certain episodes and dispute their merits is fascinating and engaging to watch. It’s not some run of the mill 'pat yourself on the back' featurette, but we see some actual engagement. The two commentaries are also nice treats, especially with the Will Friedle and Andrea Romano stepping in alongside the usual suspects. While the commentary on "The Eggbaby" can get a little dry, overall I find these commentaries to be engaging.

The audio and visual presentation is nice, though not perfect. There is no audio whatsoever when the conversation pauses on "The Eggbaby" commentary, and the episode is actually cut short during the end credits. It’s odd, but something I don’t find bothersome. The packaging is great, with a great looking foil cover adding some dimension to the cover art. As usual, the disc art is befuddling and amusing.

Is it a perfect package? No, not at all. I don’t think we’ll ever get a perfect DVD set, or one that lives up to the ridiculously high standards of a DCAU fan. I, however, find it to be a great set and a nice compliment to the DCAU DVDs already released. It’s highly recommended and worth picking up to not only completely your Batman Beyond and DCAU DVD collection, but it’s just worth picking up period. It’s a quality program that any animation fan can dig into.

3. Toddman

Toddman Hulk not good with words.

Great review, Jim! Well said.

Toddman

4. Hades

Hades Active Member

I always wondered by the later half of the season seemed to be much more vibrant and sharper than the first half.

5. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Here are my standards: the episodes, as originally broadcast, in highest quality humanly possible. Anamorphic widescreen if the piece was widescreen, fullscreen if it was filmed that, and crisp, booming sound without added effect of anysuch garbage. As this set sounds like it has this, it sounds perfect enough to me ;).

6. Hades

Hades Active Member

Hey, is there a glitch with the episode Mind Games? When I watched it, the black bars on the side of my HDTV kept flickering as if they were changing size. It started around the time Terry was talking to Tamara's parents.

Lastly, is Armory the first episode where they started using Digital animation? It looks like it.

7. S.C.B

S.C.B Too close.

Yeah, my 'Mind Games' does that too, but not for the entire episode. It's mostly when Terry and Bruce are talking in the Batcave before the girl contacts him. It's not really noticeable, though.

And 'Eyewitness' was the first episode with digital animation.

8. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

The issue with Mind Games was actually a cel issue, not a transfer issue. The cels kept cutting off too soon on the sides--normally when things are broadcast you don't see the very ends, so we never saw that when it aired.

-BB

9. Oh look I'm...

The only thing I really didn't like about the BB DVD was the way that they organized the dics. Why can't they do it like "24 Season 5" or "Mind of Mencia Season 1"?

10. Hanshotfirst1138

Because of the number of episodes, most likely.

11. Hades

Hades Active Member

What do those do?

12. Hanshotfirst1138

They compile a single season. The reason the BB seasons were combined is because of their short length.

13. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

...These sets don't combine seasons.

14. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

He could mean the packaging. I don't mind the digi-pak myself and don't mind that the show isn't ins limcases like most TV sets now. I actually like that WHV has kept the digi-paks for the whole run of the DC box sets and has kepy consistent packaging with the Batman Beyond DVDs.

15. Noukon

Noukon Deep Blue

I would definitely agree there -- slim keepcases are obviously the ideal packaging for TV sets, but consistency is more important, IMO.

16. Hanshotfirst1138

I guess I'm thinking of the JLU and BTAS sets, which did. I don't have a problem with that or anything, I was just using an example.

17. John Cage

John Cage Mystery Man, 666+ Posts Strong

They could always keep the box set style and just throw a couple of slim cases in there. I have a bunch of two-disc slim case sets that aren't that much different in size from the DCAU sets. It's nice that they're keeping up the style of the sets from the first Batman set, but slim cases have become the norm as far as TV show DVD releases go. Maybe for re-releases down the line, I suppose since it looks like the next sets are going to be "book" style. Just hope they use the Superman single-disc-on-two-flaps instead of the Batman Beyond season one ultra-thing style, at least for Justice League Unlimited.

Have a good day.
    John Cage

18. 1D_

1D_ That's all I needed to know.

I think Eggbay's commentaries was cut intentionally by WHV. Without the glich I would say it was actually the most imformative commentary I've heard of the entire DCAU run. They discussed a lot of behind the scenes things with the way this show was made, somethings I certainly didn't know. There are about 5 people in the room who haven't seen each other in a very long time no way it gets that quite for that long. It's like they went back and erased the audio of certain parts. Sometimes you can tell they were in the middle of another conversaion when they start back talking. Some of these commentaires have 2 or 3 people and they don't have these long pauses. Plus almost all of these end with the credit, here I thnk they pushed it up and there is total silence during the credits before the cut off glich happens. Just my strong inclination.

I agree JLU seemed very rushed. Mine doesn't do that either.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Rushed in what way? The way in which the extras were put together? What glitch? ARRG!

20. sdp

sdp miscrave

I finally got this set and was surprised by how many episodes I had already seen from this season. Anyways this season is not as dark as the first one but it is still a very entertaining season. The episodes are fun to watch, I would have loved this as a kid, maybe even more than B:TAS.

One thing I noticed is I really got a lot of Spider-Man vibes from this season and not in a bad way, but "batman-fied" which was pretty even cooler. I don't see why people hate some of these episodes, like egghead I really liked that one. As far as Max it seems like the character had potential for a lot of stuff but nothing really happened. I don't dislike the character just nothing was done with her and was indeed annoying at times. What I find odd is BT and his team usually found ways of making a horrible concept work amazingly(teenage batman in the future) demanded by the network yet this one had potential and it seems like they did with her what any other show would have done. It seemed weird they did nothing with her. I would have loved Dana getting jealous or whatever.

Good