1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Begins" Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment "Batman Begins"

1. *****

122 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. ****1/2

58 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. ****

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. ***

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. **1/2

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Just end, already!

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Batman

Batman Guest

This is still my favorite Batman movie becuz I like that it is grounded in reality. I prefer that over the other ones. Batman was always my favorite hero because of how real it could be and I am not disappointed here. The actors are great and I like how they filmed the fight scene on the docks like a horror movie. It really gives you the idea of what Batman is going for. This was a great movie and my favorite live action one.

2. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

This is Best BATMAN movie ever made period .

Can't wait to see The Dark Knight top this tonight @ Midnight .

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

My number one favorite Batman film. This was the film that got Batman right. Thank you Mr. Nolan.

And what can I say that's not been said about this film? I mean, everything about Batman Begins was just so full of awesomeness.

4. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

The best live action portrayal of the character to date. Nolan really captured the essense of Bruce Wayne and his mission.

5. Arkaron

Arkaron Member

I agree that Batman Begins rocks, hard. But some aspects of the character were forgotten, like the fact that Batman is a detective. I'm looking forward to seeing this in The Dark Knight.

6. Anarky

Anarky Team Conan

They're showing this outdoors in the middle of downtown Seattle tonight, at Rainier Sq (moviesonthepedestal.com)

I only had a few "complaints" about the film:

1. Bruce becoming a criminal rather than a true student on his world tour*

2. Luscious Fox being the weaponer instead of Bruce*

3. the choppy fight scene at the docks

* I feel as if this takes away from the character, minor compromises however

7. Wolf Boy2

Wolf Boy2 Active Member

Wow, 2005 was the Year of Batman for me. I got my BTAS boxsets, saw this movie, read a lot of the comics ..... it was a Golden Age.

Unlike the hype surrounding "Batman and Robin" or "Superman Returns", this was one instance where the feature film (the center of the hype) was truly worthy. I'm not going to say that it was better or worse than BTAS, because they are too different to be compared. But BOY DID IT KICK ASS. Seeing Batman Begins was a fitting close to the several month Batmarathon I had been on, watching BTAS, ROTJ and MOTP. I was not dissapointed.

Though, I know a lot of other people who thought it was really boring. Hopefully "The Dark Knight" will change their minds about that.

8. The Old Maid

The Old Maid Voice in the wilderness

Forgive the necropost (necro response?), but it's an interesting point because it's a timeless one. Actually it was the inspiration for the "Normals" thread: what is the difference between an ally (who is presumed "old enough to know better") and a sidekick who grew up with weirdness?

If memory serves, you mentioned once that Robin doesn't translate well overseas, or even translate well among his age-mates at home. Robin touches on several incompatible phenomena, and often even one of them is hard to write for. Robin as marketing gimmick: to attract customers. Robin as sounding-board: to give Batman feedback, perspective, a legacy. Robin as rival: to raise the question of whether Batman has a "right" to a legacy. And then there's Robin as "Mary Sue" before the term had been invented: an idealized version of the writer who is introduced to the story to interact with the hero, thus warping the hero's world into a world where Mary Sue is needed. Some readers loved Robin; still do. Others resented him, because while they could fantasize about growing up to be Batman, they knew they couldn't keep up with the genius kid right now; the fantasy was ruined for them.

Allies may be a lot of things, but Mary Sues aren't supposed to be among them. So, was the Jim Gordon of Batman Begins a Mary Sue, a sidekick, an ally, or something else?

We see some versions in which Jim Gordon is brought into the circle slowly (1930s comics, BTAS), some in which he already is included when the audience meets him (first Burton film), and occasionally an apocalyptic version in which Jim Gordon is becoming separated from the circle ("Dark Knight Returns," "No Man's Land," TNBA "Over the Edge," though that was a dream sequence). Batman Begins tries to have it both ways, with Batman approaching Jim first, but Jim being hesitant to join, until the night all the wheels come off and there's no time to think, "What am I doing?!"

As for one of the other allies, I didn't care for the Dawes character AT ALL. Odd, that, since the role wasn't badly written (aside from the character being too young to be the assistant D.A., and of course the unconvincing love story). If we'd dropped Harvey Dent into the plot, and excluded the love story and the tasers (does not remind me of Dent), we would have noticed the writing. But because of the character, the love story, and the actress, the role was hard for me to watch. Very much not thrilled that the character is coming back, even with a different actress.

And yes, the science was iffy. I'm sure Bruce's original dosing in the mountains was not boiled to 400 degrees. But more than that, if the bad guys could boil water in a pipe 30 feet underground, why didn't it microwave the water in all the people? We are "bags of mostly water," after all. (That's a ST:TNG season 1 line, one of the better ones, anyway.)

But in the end, one of the reasons we hold this film to such scrutiny is that 1) it's a dynasty-founder, and if we don't speak up now we won't be able to change the dynasty's course. And 2) a lot of us have been spoiled by the animated continuity. :D

9. Arkangel

Arkangel Member

Great movie, no doubt, and shows what you can do with a good adaptation of a great comic book. Batman: Year One is my favorite Frank Miller Batman story, even more that DRK.

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

After seeing TDK, I have even more now such an incredible appreciation for BEGINS which has Rejuvenate The BATMAN Franchise it an epic series of films that give THE DARK KNIGHT , the respect and honor he truly deserves .

11. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

Batman Begins aimed at 10-12 years old as well

Replying from this post:

http://forums.toonzone.net/showpost.php?p=3044843&postcount=22

I'll answer your question here because I think it's more appropriate.

What is written in this text on Wikipedia is: While making an adult film for Batman, Nolan didn't want to exclude the 10-12 years old crowd for its target audience.

It makes sense. The scene where Batman is spotted by a kid in the Narrows When Batman is searching for the source of the drug stuffed toys was clearly written to make Batman Begins more palatable to the younger audience. The return of that same kid in the end of the movie, when Rachel protects him from the Scarecrow makes that theory stronger in my opinion.

12. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

However, they aren't pandering to the younger crowd. This movie also had to sell toys, you'll remember.

13. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Oh so basically it is a movie written for adults (mainly the 15+ audience) but also includes the 10-12 year olds right?

My english isn't that great so I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

14. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I'm saying overall the film's not kiddy-fair, or basically family-safe. While primarily a film for the more mature audiences, it is partially made to sell toys. It's not an insult, just a truth.

15. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I agree, but I think the kid scene makes the film weaker. I think it would be better if it was taken of the final cut of the movie.

16. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

I don't take that as an insult.As long as he didn't intend it to be a kid's movie, I'm fine with it.

17. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

With The Dark Knight now available on home video (talkback), there's no better time than now to look back at the film that started it all!

[​IMG]
    "I seek the means to fight injustice. To turn fear against those who prey on the fearful." - Bruce Wayne

Release Date: June 15, 2005 (With June 14th Midnight Showings)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Screenwriter: David Goyer, Christopher Nolan
    Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hauer

Plot Summary: Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham. In the wake of his parents' murder, disillusioned industrial heir Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He returns to Gotham and unveils his alter-ego: Batman, a masked crusader who uses his strength, intellect and an array of high tech deceptions to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.
    Comments?