1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Begins" Talkback, Part II (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment "Batman Begins"

1. *****

122 vote(s)
    58.7%
  2. ****1/2

58 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. ****

17 vote(s)
    8.2%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. ***

4 vote(s)
    1.9%
  6. **1/2

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Just end, already!

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Welcome to Part II of the ongoing discussion on Batman Begins! Click here to read Part I!

At 12:01, Evil Fears The Knight
    [​IMG]
    "I seek the means to fight injustice. To turn fear against those who prey on the fearful." - Bruce Wayne
    Release Date: June 15, 2005 (With June 14th Midnight Showings)
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Christopher Nolan
    Screenwriter: David Goyer, Christopher Nolan
    Starring: Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe, Katie Holmes, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hauer
    Genre: Action, Crime
    MPAA Rating: PG-13 (for intense action violence, disturbing images & some thematic elements)
    Official Website: BatmanBegins.com

Plot Summary: Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins explores the origins of the Batman legend and the Dark Knight's emergence as a force for good in Gotham. In the wake of his parents' murder, disillusioned industrial heir Bruce Wayne (Christian Bale) travels the world seeking the means to fight injustice and turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. He returns to Gotham and unveils his alter-ego: Batman, a masked crusader who uses his strength, intellect and an array of high tech deceptions to fight the sinister forces that threaten the city.

Comments?

Related Threads:
    -Batman Begins Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman (1989) Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Returns Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Forever Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman & Robin Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Catwoman Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology DVD Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

Welcome to Part II of the ongoing discussion on Batman Begins! Click here to read Part I!

2. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Note: Discussion continued from "Batman Begins" Talkback, Part 1 (Spoilers).

If you think it's "really good", how can you give it a very subpar rating of 5/10?

I think Bale did just fine; the Batman voice was something I got used to rather quickly. Aside from the way-to-close-up shots of some of the fight scenes (notably when Falcone first meets Batman at the warehouse), I thought the movie was excellent.

-Tim

3. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

By "Very good" I meant that It wasn't exelent.

This movie looked like it was edited using WMM(Windows movie maker)

4. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

The editing was one of my pet peeves of the movie, also. I give it a 7.8219453/10 anyway.

5. Batboy

Batboy Member

Hey guys! I just got back from the cinema and man Begins ROCKED!!
    Easily the best Batman movie ever made :).

I'm going to see it again tomorrow :D.

My favorite line is when Batman interrogates Flass(?) (I think it was Flass anyway :)) and Flass says something along the lines of "...I swear to God!!" and then Bats goes "You swear to ME!!" Oh man that was just awesome...totally.

I think the Scarecrow should have had more screentime though.

Anyway AWESOME movie, can't wait for the DVD or the sequal for that matter :D.

6. Silly McGooses

Batman went up noticably on tuesday to $611,375 dollars. $192,304,996 million now. Looks like it will make it to $200 million after. A couple million won't make much difference to WB, I'm sure, but it'd be nice to see it cross that mark.

7. Batboy

Batboy Member

Just got back from my second viewing and still love it :D.

I'll probably see it again next week :).
    The crowd was boring this time around though :(.

8. Silly McGooses

Hey, sorry for the bump, but I think it's worth celebrating that tonight, Batman Begins will top $200 million domestic! Let's all pat ourselves on the back for doing our part over and over and over...

I think Batman 2 can only do better once more people see it on TV/DVD.

9. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Saw it 4 times :D

10. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

One thing I've been thinking about, is at the very end, when Gordon hands Batman the Joker card, are we to assume that the Joker has been "created" at this point? Has he already gotten the acid bath? Or is this some guy going around with a playing card fetish? I'm curious as to what they're planning to do with his origin.

11. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

I'd say we can assume he's already the white-faced, green-haired Joker at that point, since he is using the "Joker" card as his calling card. Remember (and I realize you do already know this, Failure, but just so it's stated clearly), Begins ISN'T in continuity with the Burton/Schumacher films at all; it's a start-from-scratch reboot. So, just as Nolan chose to abandon Burton's unique twist on Batman's origin story (having Napier be the one who killed Bruce's parents) in favor of something closer to the comic book origins (having Joe Chill be the Waynes' killer), he is also free to disregard Burton's alteration on Joker's origin: There's no need for Batman to have any role in Joker's chemical bath at all -- it probably happened without Batman being anywhere around. We'll probably be shown Joker's origin in a flashback sequence in the next film.

12. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

Well, the other thing is that the ending is chapter and verse out of Batman: Year one, where Joker just showed up on the scene, and Batman had no tie to his origins.

13. Batboy

Batboy Member

I've seen it three times :D.

I've also checked out the cover art for the new SE's of the previous four Batfilms and I can't wait to get my hands on the first Burtonfilm :).
    It seems there will be no extended cut of FOREVER so I'm probably not buying it now, I guess time'll tell. I was really looking forward to the Extended version.

Now I'll probably stick with BATMAN '89 and BATMAN BEGINS :D.

I know this was very very off-topic but I just wanted to post it.

The coverart looks really nice too :).

14. Failure

Failure Entertainment Mod

Yeah, I assumed, based on Batman's reaction to the card, that he hadn't had any contact with the Joker before. And I can see why Nolan would do that, to further distinguish the new universe from the old universe. I'm still very intrigued to see whether he draws from existing lore (maybe the Red Hood gang?) or develops something more unique.

15. TimTwoFace

The Joker has most definitely been created at this point; in fact, I'm sure that during the timeline of Batman Begins, Batman actually ran into the Joker (or the pre-Joker character, anyway) - it's just not shown in the movie as it wouldn't have anything to do with the plot.

Really, what's to say that Batman hasn't fought some other smaller crimes off screen during BATMAN BEGINS?

-Tim

PS - Congrats on finally hitting $200 Mill, Batman! You earned every penny!

16. Style

Style The Green Style Returns

But why are you assuming they are going to once again tie Batman to Joker's origins? Neither Year one nor The Batman felt it neccissary to do such.

17. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Yeah, I have to agree -- and Year One was clearly a huge influence on Begins (which is a very good thing), so it seems likely that Batman won't be involved in Joker's origin at all.

18. TimTwoFace

That's just the origin I'm used to - and that's fine with me. As long as the Joker takes his chemical bath, though, then I'll be happy; I don't want them messing with that aspect of his origin too much. It is, really, a classic comic book scene, anyway.

All I'm saying is that given what likely could happen in the sequel, we can't rule out Batman's presence or involvement just yet. Either or would be fine for me. If they take Burton/BTAS's lead, or do a faithful KILLING JOKE adaption, I'd be pleased.

-Tim

19. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

After 58 days on the big screen, the hit film Batman Begins has crossed the $200 million mark in domestic grosses, becoming only the third film to do so this year. The comic-book inspired film has grossed $200,099,489 to date in the domestic market, and is expected to gross around $205 million - $210 million overall before hitting DVD in October 2005.

Factoring in international numbers, the worldwide gross for Batman Begins is $360,266,489 as of today.

20. Phantasm

Phantasm Bittersweet Symphony.

That is GREAT news!
    YAY BATMAN!:D