1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Begins" Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment "Batman Begins"

1. *****

105 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. ****1/2

54 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. ****

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Just end, already!

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damien

Damien Watching

Second time is still the best. Once the third time rolled around, I started to really pick up on dislikes, and now that I have favorite parts, I spent the whole movie just waiting for them. Time to give it a rest and wait for the DVD.

2. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Yes, but who does that any more? On most lists, it appears that most don't really take the inflation into account, so I chose not to, either. :p

-Tim

3. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Well, in order to make a direct comparison with substantially older films inflation does need to be considered. Although number of tickets sold would probably be a better measure. And yes, I believe Gone with the Wind is still the reigning champ, but Batman is in the top 50.

4. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

Wholeheartedly agree.

5. Kieralinn

Kieralinn Member

It is!
    Here is the top 10 of all time adjusted for inflation.

1. Gone With the Wind (1939)
    2. Star Wars (1977)
    3. The Sound of Music (1965)
    4. E.T. (1982)
    5. The Ten Commandments (1956)
    6. Titanic (1997)
    7. Jaws (1975)
    8. Dr Zhivago (1965)
    9. The Exorcist (1973)
    10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)

SW has 4 films in the top 20! #12 Empire Strikes Back (1980), #14 Return of the Jedi (1983), #19 Phantom Menace (1999). Revenge of the Sith is at #58 but it is still going so will probably be higher and Attack of the Clones is at
    #81.

For Comicbook films Spiderman is #33, Batman (1989) is #46, Spiderman 2 is #50 and Superman (1978) is #59. Those were the only ones on the list. For the top 100 of all time with the adjusted gross click on the link.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I thought it was pretty cool that all of the SW films were on there and that high! I just wish Bats had beaten Spidey..but at least it's the 2nd highest comic film.:)

6. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Alright, now let's get back to Batman Begins folks. If you feel the overall box office merits a discussion of it own then please go right ahead and make one. Thanks.

7. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

How is the chaos in the Narrows resolved? Is there mass murder? The movie seems to forget about it after Batman leaves to chase Ra's.

8. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Well Bruce sends Fox back to Wayne Tower to make more of the antidote that saved him, but I don't know if they move beyond that. I suppose we are to assume that the antidote was distributed somehow.

9. Borg4of3

Borg4of3 Slish Slash Slosh!

The movie doesn't forget about it - it is a large tragedy and attack, but Batman had to leave to stop a far greater one. We also had Fox working on mass-producing the antigen. It is mentioned by Gordon again at the end, in that he says, "The Narrows is lost." and the inmates and crazies loose, and Batman says they will and can catch them and fix it. Its a disaster that helps the 'escalation' feel at the end, and, as one reviewer put it, Gotham is worse off than before.

10. TimTwoFace

Borg is correct; I suspect that at least some of this will be addressed in the sequel.

-Tim

11. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

In that case they cut out the great action scene where Batman, having punched Ra's ticket, returns to the Narrows to whup some inmate butt. I guess the film was already a little long. It would have been neat to see though.

12. TimTwoFace

Rather than that, I would have much rather seen the entire Narrows go to hell in a handbasket, with absolute lunacy taking control, innocents killing innocents, Arkham's released inmates causing serious trouble, the Scarecrow doing some serious mental and physical damage (and loving it), and Batman stuck in the middle of it until Ra's had to be chased and hunted down.

It's a shame we never saw that scene bumped up one notch further, but it was fine as is.

-Tim

13. jadrax

jadrax Member

React? To the Cinima? Ye gods man, we are not barbarians. ;o)

14. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think in terms of structure, that would have felt like an odd epilogue to Ra's fight. Yes, I was feeling weary by then too, I think it would have been too much. Again, it seems indicitive of the film trying to do too much and being unable to focus on areas which required more attention. It did feel the Narrow was swept aside, how much so will depend on the attention it gets in the next movie.

It was a nice idea to have the end not being upbeat as such, and the success of this conscious decision not to wrap the Narrows in this movie will be determined by it's inclusion in the next.

15. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Yeah, I agree. To hear the Narrows were lost and to end with a situation in which "Gotham is worse off than before," as Borg put it, I think was perfect. Not everything's going to end perfectly, and I like that there were losses.

16. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

I guess I didn't notice that aspect when I saw it, but it is a nice touch. I sometimes get tired of movies where everything wraps up into a nice little package. This is especially true if it ends with the take-the-easy-way-out-and-kill-the-villain route. I suppose Begins came close to doing that (don't want to rekindle the multiple page debate about whether R'as is dead or not), but at least we're still left with the question as to whether or not Batman "saved" the city completely.

I think the first time I really hoped for such an ending was way back when I watched the first Matrix movie. I remember sitting in the theater, knowing that the movie would be over soon, and thinking, "I certainly hope Neo doesn't somehow free the entire human race at the very end of the movie." Of course, back then I didn't know that there would be two more movies. :shrug:

17. Phantasm

Phantasm Bittersweet Symphony.

18. TimTwoFace

Ooooo, Batman is barely in the lead over Star Wars, according to that link Phantasm just provided. :)

And even though the numbers aren't in, we can say that BATMAN BEGINS has now passed BATMAN RETURNS' final gross of $162.8 Million - sometime yesterday. (This is before inflation, of course.) Next up, BATMAN FOREVER at $184 Mill. :)

-Tim

19. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Box Office Update from http://www.showbizdata.com/:

Batman Begins grossed $3.1 million last night, bringing the film's gross up to $167.9 million. The movie looks to gross a very healthy $9 - 10 million this weekend.

I'm really glad to see this movie still going strong. It deserves to do really well. It's an excellent movie and I'm glad people are going back to see it again!

20. Kieralinn

Kieralinn Member

I want to go one more time! I love this film!:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.