1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman Begins" Talkback, Part I (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Jun 15, 2005.

?

Rate and Comment "Batman Begins"

1. *****

105 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. ****1/2

54 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. ****

13 vote(s)
    7.2%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

3 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. Just end, already!

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g_UnIt_GaNsTa

g_UnIt_GaNsTa |||||||||DRINK|||POWERADE |||||

Finally caught the movie with a friend who wanted me to tag along...

Can't say I enjoyed it. But, then again, I'm biased against comic films so don't take my advice. If you like comics (Graphic Novels, whatever.), then go see this movie.

I gave it....a "Just end, already" or whatever it was. I already forgot it.

DONT MAEK FUNN OV ME!!!111one

2. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Gee, I would have thought someone named Bruce Kent would have a little more class.

Anyway, Bats could have dinged him with a Batarang, tied him up with a bolo, knocked him out with gas, etc., etc. The guy's a walking Swiss Army knife. Batman doesn't have to get physical to win a fight.

All he had to do was disable the machine, Destroying the train was not necessary. Very cinematic, but not necessary.

3. AF$

AF$ FindTheScene

See, I don't think this Batman is quite there yet. In his prime, Batman no doubt should be expected to innovate, excite, and do all the things you described during a battle. This Batman, however, has to take a more direct route. Just as he isn't quite yet the world's greatest detective, he isn't quite yet the best fighter he can be.

4. Bruce Kent

Bruce Kent Mr. Nice Guy

Hmm... don't quite understand what that has to do with me saying that your comment was ignorant...

Oh yeah.. you're totally right. He could also do that to Joker, Two-Face, Catwoman.. I mean they're all middle aged men and women who Batman just have to throw a batarang at. Batman should be taking on Darkseid in these films for them to be good and for Batman to have a real threat.

5. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Er, I don't think that makes for polite conversation in most places, but then again I haven't spent much time in Boston.

6. Bruce Kent

Bruce Kent Mr. Nice Guy

Wel l I wasn't saying anything about you. I didn't call you any names. I just said that your comment was ignorant.. doesn't mean I think you are.. but we're getting off topic.. so let's end it.

7. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I saw BB for a 3rd time Sunday Afternoon.
    Big Surprise, The Theatre was packed. 150 Seats.
    But the audience was dead. No Clapping, only a couple of chuckles at Alfreds' lines.
    I was somewhat disappointed with the weekend total. I thought it would make
    over $22 million.

8. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes. End it. You two want to go on this ad infinitum, do so off board. I don't think we should be calling people's opinion ignorant and suggesting they don't comment, likewise we don't start baiting back at them and starting a grudgematch.

This is a film, and only a film. Please, keep it nice as we don't want to have to deal with any more off topic comments. We'll issue warnings if we do.

Welcome to British cinema! ;)

9. sun

sun You stay, I go

Gary Oldman, Sargent Gordon

Gary Oldman, who was Sargent Gordon, in Batman Begins, I just found out, was also in the Sci Fi film, a really strange, but excellent movie called, "The Fifth Element," starring Bruce Willis...Its worth the time to watch that one too..

10. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

Yeah, it is just a film, so let's can the mudslinging and speak freely.

Do you mean this poster saw the film in the UK? Or are you describing British audiences in general? Since Begins is a rather British affair, I would expect it to get a good reaction in British theaters.

And for that matter, is the film perhaps too British? Morgan Freeman aside, this is another Batfilm that doesn't seem to have a very diverse cast. If Gotham is really such a crime ridden dump, then where are the Bloods and the Crips?

Yeah, the Fifth Element is quite good, although Oldman gives a rather hammy turn there. He's excellent in True Romance and Leon (The Professional). I was a little disappointed with his role in Begins. I expected Oldman would play another sophisticated, menacing, or otherwise eccentric character, but he's stuck as Bats' goofy sidekick.

11. mookie75

mookie75 Active Member

Actually, I don't get much of that here in Minneapolis either. I read posts on this site about audiences standing up and cheering in theaters but I've never seen something like that happen. If I recall correctly a couple of people clapped (very briefly) as the Star Wars name came on the screen before Episode III, but that was it. I don't recall anything out of the ordinary at Batman Begins either. I'm sure there was a laugh here and there at a funny line, but I consider that pretty normal.

I guess Minnesotans are stoic too. :p

12. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Oldman was the perfect Gordan, actually. I'm extremely glad he gave a restrained performance.

13. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

In the UK you get VERY little reaction from audiences. I think there was a few titters at some of Caines lines, but that was it and it's very rarely anything more. We don't openly interact with our cinema. We sit and judge... :p

I agree with you and Dark Angel. He was great in BB, but I felt his end scenes in the Batmobile misused him somewhat. There is a gentle dignity to Gordon I felt those scenes sort of destroyed. Nevertheless, apart from that, he was fantastic.

14. Chris Wood

Chris Wood Desslar

What was the deal with Bats and Gordon lying on their stomachs in the Batmobile? It looked ridiculous. Seems like an awfully impractical design. Let Batman keep a little dignity.

15. AF$

AF$ FindTheScene

It appeared as though they only did that when they needed to use the Batmobile's artillery system. I would imagine a floor level viewpoint (which the vehicle shifts them to) would be more accurate than shooting missles from near the dash.

16. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

This is one complaint I can broadly agree with. Having the driver lay face-down in order to use the weapons just looks really clunky and weird and adds little if anything to the scenes.

I have no problem with Gordon getting to drive the Batmobile. If anything, it seems like a just reward to a poor guy who's stuck with paperwork and corruption 90% of the time. Still, the whole laying-on-your-stomach thing really screws with the flow.

17. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I didn't mind that so much, but I still would have liked at least some explanation as to why that was necessary.

-Tim

18. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

I just checked online, and BATMAN BEGINS is at $157.3 Million (domestic) right now. That's pretty good - and actually, it's earned more than any of the other Bat-movies have in their first 21 days; it's earning just a smidge more than the original BATMAN (1989) did at this point. I'd wager to guess that these two box office takes will be rather comparable, once all is said and done.

The main difference, however, is that 2005 is filled with blockbusters (and the pop-culture love of "BATMAN BEGINS" isn't as maniacal as the 1989 movie was), and the summer of 1989 didn't have many other competing blockbusters - the only other huge one was INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE.

-Tim

19. BatKid

BatKid The True Batman

And the fact that you're not taking into account inflation... ;)

20. GregX

GregX Active Member

Well, if we take inflation into account, "Gone With the WInd" is probably the highest grossing movie of all time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.