"Batman: Assault on Arkham" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Aug 12, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "Batman: Assault on Arkham"

1. *****

31.6%
  2. ****1/2

15.8%
  3. ****

10.5%
  4. ***1/2

15.8%
  5. ***

15.8%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

5.3%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

5.3%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Survive the assault!

[​IMG]
    Batman: Assault on Arkham
    Studio: Warner Bros. Animation
    Release Date: August12th, 2014

Synopsis: When the government teams up a group of supervillains with the code name Suicide Squad and forces them to break into Arkham Asylum to bring back top secret information the Riddler has stolen, Batman soon becomes involved. But things go from bad to worse when one of the Squad (Harley Quinn) frees the Joker, who has the means to not only blow up the asylum, but most of Gotham City as well.

Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series) voices Batman, and joins forces with several Hollywood greats to bring the legendary characters to life. Adding to the celebrity-laden cast is Neal McDonough (Justified, Desperate Housewives) as Deadshot, Troy Baker (The Last of Us) as Joker, Matthew Gray Gubler (Criminal Minds) as Riddler, CCH Pounder (The Shield, Warehouse 13) as Amanda Waller, Greg Ellis (24) as Captain Boomerang, and Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad, Revolution) as Black Spider. Produced by Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment, Batman: Assault on Arkham is directed by Jay Oliva (Man of Steel, Justice League: War) and Ethan Spaulding (Son of Batman) from a script written by Heath Corson (Justice League: War). Sam Register (Beware the Batman, Teen Titans Go!), Benjamin Melniker (The Dark Knight Rises) and Michael Uslan (The Dark Knight Rises) serve as executive producers. James Tucker (Son of Batman) is Supervising Producer.

Discuss the Batman: Assault on Arkham animated feature!

Please post all discussions concerning about the Batman: Assault on Arkham animated feature in this thread! Discussion on the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital release of Batman: Assault on Arkham can be found in the proper talkback linked below.

Related Threads:
    -Batman: Assault on Arkham Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Assault on Arkham Soundtrack Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham Origins Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham City Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Son of Batman Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Returns - Deluxe Edition Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part Two Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Part One Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Year One Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Under the Red Hood Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Gotham Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Injustice: Gods Among Us Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Note: Remember, this talkback thread is for discussion of the feature film. If you wish to talk about the home video release, please click on the appropriate link above. We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Okay I'm sorry but this is the worst DTV to date IMO, the violence and gore were over the top. I understand it's a PG-13 rating, but just because you can put sex, gore, and such in a movie... doesn't mean you should. Aside from my dislike of some of the content, I just think many of it was terribly placed and felt like it was just to show: "we can put this and that in this movie, so let's do it!" IMO none of it fit or, was too forced. Also the plot was just silly and all over the place, I went into this with good hopes due to the amazing AA games, but this was a total letdown. I will say the animation and voice acting were great, Kevin Conroy was awesome as usual, and I liked Harley, and whoever voiced Joker was brilliant. Other than that though, this was such a blegghhh movie.
    I give it a 1/2 star out of 5.

D.

3. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I have to agree with Dusty. This movie was just way too over the top with the violence and gore. This is the first dtv I'm not sure about watching again.

4. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

After a recent dip, the DTDVDs are back in fine form. As a fan of DC animation and the Arkham games, I thought this was great stuff from beginning to end and didn't feel overly rushed as most of them do.

Even though most of them are B list villains, the Squad made for great protagonists and it didn't ever feel like you were waiting to get past their scenes in order for Batman to show up.

While the film did have its violent moments, it was never to a silly extent like Son of Batman. The fighting was clearly choreographed over the excellent video games and the majority of the models looked beautiful even if they were in 2D. This was as bad ass a Batman we've seen in years on the small screen and thankfully there was no stupid recasting here in a silly attempt to make him sound younger.

I did miss Wally Wingbert as The Riddler but other than that the casting was fantastic.

I would much rather see more Arkham movies rather than the mediocre new 52 films we've been receiving lately. I hope this sells enough to warrant them.

Easily worth a purchase if you're on the fence.

5. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

Agreed. I really enjoyed this one. The action was fast and the fights so well choreographed. I was pleasantly surprised.

6. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Member

You know for a PG-13 rated movie this sure seems pretty R-rated if you ask me... just saying I should the MMPA should have thought with reconcile for who this movie is geard to.

7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

These sort of arguments work two ways, though. Anyone could easily say, "Just because they didn't put sex and gore into older movies doesn't mean you shouldn't ever do that."

Granted, sex and gore often do turn off some viewers, and I would agree many times you can make just as good a movie without graphic depictions as with them, but I didn't find these things random or (too) distracting.

8. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ New Member

Can someone please describe the level of gore in this movie? Because I've been playing the Batman: Arkham games lately, and they're fairly bloodless apart from one or two brief moments. I don't understand why this DTV would go so much further than the source material.

9. Mostezli

Mostezli Member

Like I said better than Son of Batman.

Heads get blown up...decapitated bodies shown. You don't get to see the heads actually blow up.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2014
  10. -batmat-

-batmat- Member

This movie had 5 minutes of worthy material: The opening X-ray scene. Starting after that , with the dubstep music (seriously, what the f...?) it was downhill for me. Poor characters, bad plot. It just didn't do it for me.

11. Zentron

Zentron New Member

Whilst I do agree the movie was rather boring, the violence and gore was not OTT, honestly, if anyone thinks it was OTT, really should get their head examined... unless it blows up, in which case, too late :D

I'll be watching it again, but not too soon, maybe a few months down them line when I discover it again in my ever growing collection of DVDs and Blu-Rays. I do wish that DC Animation would just pull their resources together, come up with a great story, or find one umongst the DC comic back-catalogue and just finally cut loose, give us the movie that we wanted to see! Also, get Madhouse to do the designs and animation, enough of this boring restrained Anime-styled crap and go all the way this time... Marvel has the guts to do so!

12. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

I liked it.

Harley and Frost were so hot!!!

Cant believe Joker lost to Deadshot.

Who wast that other villain that escaped that was jumping around and agile with Bane, Dent, and Ivy???

13. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Billion times Better Than WAR

14. #1 defender

#1 defender New Member

That was Scarecrow.

15. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

My review.

After watching it 4 times, over the past 5 days, the movie did grow on me. It's not your standard fare DCU movie and some are going to be turned off by it. Others will embrace how it's different from the others preceding it I think. Even the soundtrack wasn't even one you would expect for this line. Bottom line for is, it's a Suicide Squad movie and I liked it. Sure it has it's flaws as well. It was great breather from the New 52 animated universe if anything else.

16. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Batman: Assault on Arkham very fun, very trashy, very adult animated feature is worth a spin, but mileage will likely vary. I can definitely see some fans having issues with the excessive, sometimes over-the-top adult nature of the film. It is a bit off-putting at first until the film settles in and just clicks. That being said, it's a twisted, brisk caper with a great cast of characters and solid animation. It's actually nice to explore Batman's world from the perspective of the villains. Previous knowledge of the Batman: Arkham games isn't required, as references to said games don't really add any value to the film. Honestly, it's still pretty fun and racks up as a worthwhile guilty pleasure. I'd definitely recommend it, but be prepared for an intense, dirty little ditty starring some of the most vilest (and obscure) characters from the lower depths of DC Comics.

Check out the full review at The World's Finest subsite, along with some additional exclusive content!

17. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was a pretty good movie. It was nice seeing the bad guys in the spotlight and Batman becoming a secondary character for a change. I liked most of the characters, though Harley became kind of annoying as the movie progressed. Deadshot was a good "hero" for the movie. The rest of the characters were fine, Killer Frost was probably my favorite from them. Liked the way she acted, her growing friendship with king Shark, and her design and voice actress as well. Also appreciated the cameos in Arkham, other than the Joker (who had more than a cameo anyway). The action scenes were pretty awesome, with some nice animation and choreography. Didn't really mind the violence in the movie though the swearing got kind of annoying after a while. And it was pretty predictable how the Batman - Black Spider encounter played out, and I was kind of surprised they kept the "surprise" going for that long. All in all, I liked it for trying out something different and for offering a decent enough story. It's nothing spectacular but it's a pretty entertaining movie.

18. Lord Sidious

Lord Sidious Active Member

Whoa really!! I never would have guessed, I thought it was some alternate Creeper character.

anyways, this movie was better than Son of Batman

the only thing that really annoyed me was how The Batman had a hard time beating that last soldier in the beginning.

19. NBM05

NBM05 New Member

I actually prefer the animation in this quite a bit over the Madhouse style.

I haven't liked the work Madhouse has done for Marvel at all. The characters often seem stretched and ill-proportioned, and I thought the big fight scene at the end of Blackwidow Punisher looked terrible (not Punisher vs Orion, but the Avengers vs the minions. I'm trying to remember what bugged me, but i think the room was a lazy looking wide open white space, the CGI was not well integrated, and everything just moved at too precise of angles). Most of the movie looked washed out by the lighting as well, probably as a way to minimize detail.

I also hate the anime tendency to have characters stop and stare or stop and brood (or really, stop and pose) in the middle of action scenes).

I like the current DC style more, and also vastly prefer styles like Young Justice or Crisis on Two Earth's as well.

Overall I'm just not an anime fan though.

On the other hand, I loved Assault on Arkham. I thought it was a lot of fun with interesting characters, funny (and character appropriate dialogue), and nice fight choreography. Batman and Joker came off as forces of nature the squad had to contend with, and the squad itself was fun to watch. The feel of the movie was great, and I thought it was well established by the opening character intros (and music) and by that great scene where they all wake up for Waller's briefing. Overall (after admitedly only one viewing so far) I think this stands up there with the DCAU'S best, and is vastly better than Son of Batman.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2014
  20. Zentron

Zentron New Member

Stands up there with the DCAU'S best?!?!?!?!? Strange considering how dull it is, not as dull as the Wonder Woman animated movie, but still incredibly dull.

As for the WIdow/Punisher movie looking washed out... I think you need to get your TV settings set up correctly, cos the detail in the movie far out-shone that of this pale attempt! I did like the use of Drum n Bass, Acid and Techno music in B:AOA though! A nice touch!!