"Batman: Arkham Origins" Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by James Harvey, Oct 25, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman: Arkham Origins"

1. *****

12.5%
  2. ****1/2

12.5%
  3. ****

37.5%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

12.5%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Survive the night...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Batman: Arkham Origins
    Studios: Warner Interactive, WB Games Montreal
    Platforms: PS3, XBox360, WiiU, PC
    Release Date: October 25th, 2013

Synopsis: Batman: Arkham Origins features an expanded Gotham City and introduces an original prequel storyline set several years before the events of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City, the first two critically acclaimed games of the franchise; Taking place before the rise of Gotham City's most dangerous criminals, the game showcases a young and unrefined Batman as he faces a defining moment in his early career as a crime fighter that sets his path to becoming the Dark Knight; As the story unfolds, players will meet many important characters for the first time and forge key relationships.

Discuss this Game!

Related Discussion:
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham City Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Injustice: Gods Among Us Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Necessary Evil: Super-Villains of DC Comics Documentary Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Assault on Arkham Animated Movie Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)
    -Would you like an animated series based on the Batman: Arkham video game series?

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Click the images above to view the launch trailer and TV spot!

2. atomicbattery

atomicbattery New Member

I managed to squeeze in an hour this morning, and Gotham is just beautiful. Love what Rocksteady created, there were a few times, though, where they got a bit Scumacher for me in character and environment design. This new Gotham City is fantastic without being cartoony, the most gorgeous and immersive environment I've seen in a game. After a quarter century of highly designed Gothams in media outside of comics (starting with Anton Furst and 'Batman'), this has nailed it for me. Batman's Gotham lives in this game.
    Can't wait to get back to it

3. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Member

been told this game is not available to purchase on PC DVD till Nov 2. I found out this while trying to find the darn game! Not Happy at all!!! No announcement or update from the makers or the powers that be. Real Lame !!!!!!

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Picked this up and played the whole Blackgate Prison part. Admittedly I'm rusty but I know that WB Montreal screwed around with a few of the controls and it was really tripping me up in all the fights so far. It's one of those little things that actually matter more than it looks. It will take some time to get used to which is annoying since the other controls are the same so it's taking longer than normal to get into a groove. I think they added a few tweaks in the countering and some minor bits too but I can't be sure so I'll chalk that up to rust. Still it was fun and I liked it so far.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Some initial thoughts.

The character models have taken a step down. The Batman model and that of the first supervillain (trying not to post too many spoilers) you fight really aren't as nice as they were in Arkham City.

Roger Craig Smith is miscast as Batman. I admit to being annoyed we don't have Conroy back, but why hire someone a soundalike who sounds like he's trying to do a rough guy voice.

The city seems oddly quiet. It's Christmas Eve...where are all the people?

Always great to hear Nolan North as The Penguin.

Why did they change the controls? The number I times I have meant to throw a batarang and instead entered detective mode has gotten old quick.

While I'm barely into the game yet, I'm finding a lot of the changes are unnecessary. Even the select menu seems clunky, it was far easier to track your progress in Arkham City.

Nice surprise with the 'hacker'. Wasn't expecting him in the came, always nice to see him. Quality casting too.

More to come, anyone else picked this up yet?

6. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Active Member

I've played up to the first boss (I would've played farther but UPS doesn't know what rush delivery means) and so far pretty good though I wish I could adjust the controls since they switched a couple.

I think that's on purpose to show Batman's inexperience as a crime-fighter he hasn't gotten Batman-voice perfected yet.
    But I do hope we do get another Arkham game with Conroy I'd like to see the Hush and Azrael storylines played as well as Scarecrow's, maybe they'll find a way to bring back Joker since no one dies forever in comics, though if they can't get Hamil out of retirement then I wouldn't mind if they kept Joker out of it.

7. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

If you buy Arkham Origins on PS3, and Blackgate on PSVita you get this costume as a bonus in Blackgate:

[​IMG]

It's slightly amusing given the fate of Beware the Batman being revealed this week.

8. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Holy crap that Deathstroke boss battle is tough but it's cool at the same time. The Croc one was frustrating but also fun too and I do like the cinematic cameras they use. ALl I can say is I Am the Night mode is going to be insane.

9. atomicbattery

atomicbattery New Member

I think that this may be my favorite Batman object ever.
    I've got my favorite comics (Untold Legend of the Batman, Dark Victory, Batgirl: Year One, Batman: Ego) that I read again and again, my favorite bunches of episodes of B:TAS and TNBA and Brave and the Bold- but this is all of the best of those with the added feel of a nearly physical experience.
    I think that Rocksteady and Sefton Hill really, really liked Batman. And thanks to them for the extraordinary core that this game builds upon.
    But I think that Eric Holmes and this crew loove Batman. Like to their bones. And it shows.

10. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

Rocksteady didn't work on this game, but WB Montreal. I'm making my way through the game and so far it's good. It's not great but I think it's a worthy entry to the Arkham series. It does feel a little bit off and it lacks that polish the other games had but this is a pretty great fun so far. I've managed to avoid spoilers about the end (though I think I've already figured it out). My only real complaint so far is that there seems to be some lagging and brief screen freezing. It's a good game but I'm not sure if it'll have the replayability of Arkham City as of yet.

11. ashleesmach1

ashleesmach1 Member

So no one care that I did not get the game yet darn it

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Hmm. If you believe this, the optimal version of Arkham Origins is on Wii U notwithstanding that it makes less use of the gamepad than the Arkham City port did. I see some reviews are a bit less generous than they have been for prior installments, apparently on the grounds that it's mostly more of the same...this strikes me an excessively glass-half-empty point of view, particularly given just how well done everything was in the first two games. But whatever, c'est la vie.

I'll have to grab this once I finally get around to clearing Arkham City. How're people finding the new voices for Bats and the Joker in this?

13. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

[QUOTE="GWOtaku]How're people finding the new voices for Bats and the Joker in this?[/QUOTE]

Joker takes some getting used to... Smith is still a bit too jarring as Batman. He has a standout scene just before the last level but yeah... I personally would consider him a casting failure, sadly. He's not a natural fit for Batman the way Conroy, Greenwood or even Sisto are.

I've finished the story and am making my way through the rest of the side missions. It is noticeably shorter than Arkham City and there's not a lot new here... I do get the impression this was a rush job for release date, but the game is still highly enjoyable.

I don't like any of the new Batman costumes though, it would've been nice to include some of the beautiful models from Arkham City. In City we were spoiled for choice... Here, the majority of them look fugly.

Still, I'd say the game is easily worth a purchase.

14. atomicbattery

atomicbattery New Member

This is one of the ways in which Origins is now my favorite Arkham game. I just got the Adam West costume. The cape goes from near-black in the deep folds to blue with white highlights for a real silky appearance. I remember being a little disappointed with my Silver Age DLC skin in Arkham City, which had a royal blue color, no gradation, kinda like a '70's Mego figure. That blue should have been a highlight on the cape. This is one of the small ways that this game just shines to me. I hate to sound like I'm criticizing Asylum and City, which I love soooo much- but just look at, say, Bane in Origins and look at the Scumacher Bane in City (wince). I don't think that could have ever happened here.

I would love to see this crew get the chance to give us one more 'Origins' game. Haly Circus and Dick Grayson to Robin, Harvey Dent becomes Two-Face, Batgirl, driving the Batmobile (multiple Batmobile DLC!). There is so much that I'd love to see them cover that you couldn't do in one or two story DLC's.

15. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I'm still planning on waiting for a GOTY edition, and looking forward to some of those extras being included.

I'm still miffed about only PS3 getting the Knightfall/Azrael skin and maps. Does anyone know why they got that exclusive, while Xbox didn't appear to get anything? I'm hoping maybe there's still a chance I could see the Azrael costume on a GOTY edition. I had so badly wanted to see that costume in Arkham City, and I'm pretty bummed they now have one, but not for the 360.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Maybe Sony made a deal to get that setup. Just like The Joker challenge maps for Arkham Asylum were PS3-only as well.

To me, I like the game a lot. The main flaws IMHO are the prevalent bugs and glitches. The game freezes and has issues with loading. Also, the combat at times feels slower. Countering doesn't seem as responsive as it used to be.

17. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

The countering does seem..off but it's not killer thankfully. The bugs and glitches hopefully get patched real soon because while it's not the most buggy game ever or anything it's noticeable. Kinda makes one appreciate how I can't remember any bugs when Rocksteady made these things.

18. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

Could that be intentional, to give the impression of a younger, less experienced Batman?

19. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

I'm not having too many problems with glitches but I read there is a patch going to be released - is that true? I haven't run into a game-breaking glitch yet. But overall I'm still really enjoying this game and I wouldn't mind if WB Montreal did another one at some point nor do I think this game was rushed. It was two years since the last Arkham game just like the two year gap between the second and the first game. Besides we will have another one soon enough with the next-gen consoles.

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

I could see the rushed bit being true. Despite the fact they had a lot of groundwork done for them with Arkham City there seems to be a drop in graphical fidelity and technical issues. I know the development time is the same but two different studios have different types of workflows and pipelines. It took Rocksteady 2 years in between games but they spent years just working on the technical side of the consoles before they even got the Batman license so that would really make things easier along with already having knocking it out of the park the first time around. WB Montreal is a newer studio I believe so 2 years for them might be more nail biting than it was for Rocksteady.

Finished the game story mode today. One thing I noticed is playing the after game stuff I noticed that there are certain things that I can't achieve anymore( Mostly DK challenges ) and I'll have to do a new game to get to them. That's kind of a bummer but New Game+ will carry over the stuff so I can get another crack at it.

Overall it was a cool game and I think they did a good job in not messing up the franchise which is all you want in a first entry from a different developer. I wonder if they'll get another opportunity with this license. It seems academic that Rocksteady will be doing the next game and this was just WB trying to get some more Batman money in between but Batman isn't like a Battlefield or COD or even an Assassin's Creed which has a built in way of prolonging it's games in a organic way. Maybe a spinoff perhaps? Based on the after credits I wouldn't mind if they did a...

If anything that brings me to one thing, I wish there was more comic book based games that approached their properties with as much care and skill as the Arkham series has. Aside from Telltale with the Walking Dead and that game plays much differently but it suits it.