"Batman: Arkham City" Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by James Harvey, Oct 18, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman: Arkham City"

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

10.0%
  3. ****

5.0%
  4. ***1/2

10.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

There is no Escape...

Batman: Arkham City
    Studios: Warner Interactive, Rocksteady
    Platforms: PS3, XBox360, PC
    Release Date: October 18th, 2011

Synopsis: Batman: Arkham City builds upon the intense, atmospheric foundation of Batman: Arkham Asylum, sending players soaring into Arkham City – five times larger than the game world in Batman: Arkham Asylum – and the new maximum security “home” for all of Gotham City’s thugs, gangsters and insane criminal masterminds. Set inside the heavily fortified walls of a sprawling district in the heart of Gotham City, this highly anticipated sequel introduces a brand-new story that draws together a new, all-star cast of classic characters and murderous villains from the Batman universe, as well as a vast range of new and enhanced gameplay features to deliver the ultimate experience as the Dark Knight.

Discuss this Game!

Related Links:
    -Batman: Arkham City Video Game Review (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham City Comic Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Arkham Asylum Video Game Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Year One Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: Year One Blu-ray/DVD Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Active Member

Wow... it's here at last. Three years of waiting. My pre-order cannot come soon enough!

3. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Got my copy just a little while ago and after some breakfast I will go Batmanning( been using that a lot in the last couple minutes ) soon after. I even got a free Arkham City shirt from EB Games with my pre-order. I wanted the Harley Quinn poster too but they only had like 4 of them..what a rip:p. Also have the code for Catwoman, Joker's Carnival, and another one that I haven't read yet but it has something to do with Gotham City Imposters Beta and some other AC stuff. Some of my thoughts to come later!

Edit: Still waiting on the downloading of the DLC that came with the game but I'm just glad they worked after the fiasco that I had with Resistance 3's passcode.

4. Sonic_Eclipse

Sonic_Eclipse Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!

I preordered the game through GameStop, and for some reason I can't redeem my code for the BTAS suit.

5. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

6. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

That sucks for people who pre-ordered, same thing happened with R3. It's actually why I opened the box in the food court in the mall where the game store is just in case to check that all the codes were in there.

Anyway spent some time with the game( although I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I might not get to play it as much as I'd like today ) and it's pretty slick. Fighting is better than ever and I like some of the little things they've done like everything being animated even smoother than AA.

I think the only problem I have so far is the gliding mechanic is taking some time to get used to. Well it's not even in game that it's a problem it's those damn AR side missions...I hate these kind of things in games and it sucks they are here too. And it seems that playing with the flight inverted makes it better, although I tend to hate inverted it seems it's just the way to go as it feels more natural here. I'm starting to get the hang of it though just means that I gotta keep working at it and stick to one type of flight controls.

But other than that it's awesome, I haven't gotten too far in it story wise as I was busy just flying around, getting in random brawls, do a few side quests, exploring, and getting Riddler trophies( The wall jump ones are tricky ). Timing was a little off due to not playing AA in 2 weeks but also the smoother animations make the timing different( for me at least ) and the double counter actually threw me off at first.

Oh and the opening is great too, where AA had a cool slow burn opening, AC throws you right into the fire and in a very cinematic way. Very good way to start a game.

7. Sonic_Eclipse

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

Picking up the Collector's Edition of Arkham City at Best Buy today (as part of a video game shopping spree that also included a B2G1 sale at Toys R Us), there were no problems with the codes that came with my copy of the game.

BTW, after opening up the Collector's Edition, I definitely felt it was worth the additional $40 (especially given the fact that it comes with a Kotobukiya statue, something that I'm very familiar with).

9. Trevor

Trevor New Member

I picked up the PS3 version yesterday, and it's good. But the deal was even better, since I bought it at Wal-Mart and the Wal-Mart exclusive was that you also received Batman Arkham Asylum Game Of The Year Edition (in the red PS3 Greatest Hits case) as an added bonus. And the price for the package was the same as the price for the single-disc release at Wal-Mart, $60. I've been looking for the PS3 version of AA for a while (I've had the game on the PC for a few years, but I wanted one that I could play on the couch in front of the TV). So I think I did pretty good price wise for the game, only about $30 bucks for the game.

But I did get the Catwoman code in the game, so that was an added bonus, although I'm not too sure how to enable Catwoman, or I guess you have to beat a level as Batman before you can go back and play it as Catwoman.

10. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

Played half-way through the story yesterday, and so far, I'm loving it more than the first one. The opening sequence of this game was nothing short of amazing, and even when I thought I had everything spoiled to me by following the comic tie-ins and trailers/footage, there's still plenty of curveballs and twists around. It's very easy to get lost in the story by doing side missions, and the overall world is rich and fascinating.

The only nitpicks I would have with the game are the lack of replayable cutscenes (though they put a recap slideshow, which, I guess, is a slight improvement) and the fact that with the way the controls are set up, I end up accidentally getting down and finish off downed enemies when I press triangle instead of evading incoming attacks, something that was not in the first game, and is definitely annoying in larger battles.

Despite that, though, the game is amazing.

11. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

Trevor, it sounds like you got a great bundle with your copy! And you should be able to punch in your Catwoman DLC code right away. It actually changes how the game starts entirely. It's a neat extra. So far I'm really enjoying the game. The controls were easy to get back into and they were right when they said the game is basically like playing Arkham Asylum but on a bigger scale. Probably the best superhero game ever and contender for top game of the year, though Uncharted 3 might change that. I really hope Marvel takes a cue from this and starts really working on their games properly.

12. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Silence, you dumb wench!!!

If you've entered the code before starting the new game (which it appears you've done), you'll regain control of Catwoman at certain points in the game. So far, I've gotten to the second part of her story, which happens while Batman is busy in a certain situation (not sure if I should mention story spoilers or allow people to find out what happens in the game on their own).

13. EinBebop

EinBebop Kneel Before Zod

The first game came out in August 2009, and the sequel announced in the fall of that year. Are you a time traveler or do you have psychic abilities? :p

14. Sonic_Eclipse

Got the game in the mail, and its pretty sweet!

Catwoman is a blast to play as, and Batman's even more badass than before.

Voice acting is top-notch, I even think Kevin and Mark are better than what they were in Arkham Asylum. I will admit though while Tara Strong does a great Harley Quinn impression, the voice does feel a bit off some times. I kinda wish they got Hynden Walch to play Harley, I thought she did a spot-on impression of Arleen Sorkin when she played the role in "The Batman".

15. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Just finished the Penguin part and so far the creative ways they made you get to him was awesome. The encounter with him was really creative with the amount of crap he puts you through and the battles with his goons and his half of the twins are hectic. The battle with Grundy while traditional I thought was fun and creative. And the end with Penguin is very satisfying but not in the traditional sense. It's actually the way I hoped they'd handle the villains. Game just gets better and better.

Edit: Oh and how could I forget about Tiny

16. Kindness King

Kindness King New Member

This game is well worth the wait. So far, I've only collected a few Riddler trophies (man, did they make it hard to get those this time! :eek:), saved Catwoman from Two-Face, and confronted Harley. I've also started on the side missions with Zsasz and Bane.

Combos are a little tough for me to get the hang of, but that's more my limitation than the game's and I'm sure I'll get used to it later. I still hope somehow Rocksteady will do Superman in the future, but I'm really loving this! :anime:

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

Arkham City surpasses it's predecessor 10x more than even I though was possible . The story is much darker with plot twists at ever corner that even I wasn't expecting but greatly enjoyed seeing . The ending really goes above and beyond . This game takes the "No Man's Land concept and richly enhances it to unimaginable heights BRAVO ROCKSTEADY.

You've achieved your ultimate goal in giving we bat-fans the ultimate Batman experience in both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City

I just beat the story mode "Normal" game OMG this game is epic the story and the plot twists are just amazing. This surpasses Arkham Asylum greatly. I thought the boss battles were much better preformed and more complex without a doubt Mr. Freeze was my favorite boss level followed by the finale boss level . The voice acting was phenomenal Kevin and Mark really outdid themselves this time. I thought that every Batman villain that appeared served a great purpose and the ending is an extremely shocking twist that I honestly never saw coming or expected. I loved playing as Catwoman it was a great change of pace also the cameos and location in the game were very well portrayed. Combat with the gadgets was an absolute delight and a great improvement over the last game. Now I'm going to continue to complete all the side quest and then go after the Riddler. As well as playing as Robin in the challenge maps, Can't wait for Nigtwing DLC pack coming November 1st it's going to be an awesome addition .

BTW I love the challenge map rooms and the extra skins for Batman, Catwoman and Robin are outstanding .:D:D:D:D

18. Arrow

Arrow New Member

(Don't read this if you haven't finished yet)

I finished the main story mode. This game was easily better than Asylum, and that was already great to start with. Now it's off to do some side missions.

19. klammed

klammed the fool.

I'm loving that you console folks are digging the game. Can't wait till I get my own copy. Amazon.co.uk says 8th Nov for PC release, so I'm guessing it'll be a universal release date for that. In the meantime, I've caved and started watching the walkthroughs, though it's amazing, because looking at just how big the world is, I doubt I'll be playing the same way, encountering side missions in the same order, and certainly not pulling off combos in the same fashion.

20. k.s.

k.s. New Member

Same warning here, DO NOT read this if you haven't finished the game:

Overall, I could not be more thrilled with this game. Arkham Asylum is one of my all-time favorite video games, and somehow this game was able to surpass its predecessor in nearly every conceivable way. This is one of the greatest video games of all time, and will likely be one of my favorites for years to come. I'm really looking forward to getting 100% in my file and playing through all the challenges and DLC as they become available.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011