1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman: Arkham City" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Ryusuke, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. young101

young101 Member

wow I just watched like 40 min of the beginning. The opening instantly captivates you with dialogue between hugo and bruce wayne. Im not sure if im getting the game as I dont have the consoles (i dont want a pc version either) but even just watching the walkthroughs (some were taken down already though cause it hasnt been released), it was like viewing a movie. Even the script, music and voice actors makes it so engaging just to watch! The music especially reminded me of the dark knight from what I've heard.

Watching the game reminds me of playing resident evil 4. Not that their gameplay is exactly similar but they both have dark and engrossing atmospheres that are are so lusciously detailed. Theres also the similar aspects of of having to fight for your survival which makes it so captivating. Such a good job on the game and I havent even played it!

2. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Anyone listen to the music from the game? I'm really digging it, much like the last game it seems to take inspiration from Nolan and Burton movies( and some other inspiriations ) and mix them together. But it seems that extra WB money is letting them put more money into the score of the game. Like the main theme which is a reworked version of the first game theme but it sounds way more epic and I keep listening to it and some other tracks.

3. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

4. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Need some help here guys. This is the first time I've ever pre-ordered a game from Best Buy (I did it today, in fact) How long will take for me to get it? Will it come on the day of release, or a few days later?

5. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Usually when you pre-order something from Best Buy, you get it on the same day the item you're reserving is coming out.

6. Bat Bruce

Bat Bruce Active Member

Dammit Rocksteady, if you'd started this game a week earlier it would be out now :)

So does anyone know if the Catwoman DLC will work like most things you download from PSN where I can have it on any PS3 I have an account?

#346 Bat Bruce, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2011
  7. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

Catwoman gameplay non-Spoilerish preview

[video=youtube;kL6dWJSnLkg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6dWJSnLkg[/video]

ALL NEW COPIES OF BATMAN: ARKHAM CITY WORLDWIDE INCLUDE THE CATWOMAN DLC CODE IN THE CASE

One of the teased elements of Rocksteady's Batman: Arkham City is the ability to play as the caped crusader's frenemy/love interest/ally Selina Kyle, aka the Catwoman. It wasn't clear what her involvement would be in the main storyline, other than that she would be a part of it.

But last week, when I set up the retail version of the game, I found that I had to enter a second code for a sizable download, which promised to "unlock Catwoman as a playable character in the game." As was confirmed by WBIE yesterday, codes for the Catwoman content are given out with new copies of the game, but held back from used purchasers until they pay $10 to get it via a "VIP Pass".

(NOTE: We're already seeing signs that there are loopholes to getting this Catwoman DLC. Retailer GameStop is giving these codes out for free to people who buy the game used, according to a leaked memo from the retail chain, removing the requirement to get the game new to play as Catwoman. Whether you're angling for a freebie code that way or simply planning to buy the game new to get your code inside the game box, take heed of what the content actually is. On with the description...)

The Catwoman content is substantial. It includes an entirely different beginning to the game, as well as four large-ish gameplay chapters throughout the story. Each one is about fifteen or twenty minutes, with a mix of exploration, stealth, and combat, all of it unique. There's a ton more content if you choose to really explore or mess about, especially considering that there are a whole bunch of red riddler trophies that only Catwoman can collect. The content is also not included on the disc—it's downloadable, so before you play, be ready to enter a code and wait for a 253MB download to complete.

Catwoman is playable through the game's open map, and has her own unique gadgets and some fun methods for traversing the rooftops of Arkham. I put together a spoiler-free video (it shows the Catwoman, but it does not show any plot points, publisher-teased or otherwise). It's above.

Combat is fun and fast, a surprisingly different feel from combat as the Dark Knight. Catwoman has her own page of upgrades and her own gadgets, though there are only a few of them. Furthermore, she has a questline involving at least one major Batman character that doesn't appear in the main Arkham City storyline at all.

Catwoman is also playable in the game's unlockable Riddler challenge rooms, which adds a new way to play the already deep and enjoyable challenges. She has three different appearances, which I've captured and put together in an image.

The best thing about playing Catwoman is setting her sprinting, leaping, and swinging about the open map. At first I wasn't sure about it, since she isn't, y'know, Batman. But once I got the hang of it, I found that there is a crazed quality to her that Batman lacks, and it's really fun. She doesn't have the Dark Knight's grappling hook, using her whip to swing from building to building, and as a result players must sprint up to the edges of buildings and swan-dive off, catching purchase with her whip in midair. It's exhilarating and enjoyable.

It's all very good stuff, and without it the game would feel incomplete. Considering that you'll be purchasing a "pass" in place of the content itself, it sounds as though your $10 might get you more than just the one character. I could imagine other playable characters and even mini-storylines released through the pass, possibly even at no extra charge. But that's just speculation.

Catwoman's missions are a substantial chunk of gameplay, a welcome change of pace and a fun side story. If you're buying the game used, you'll have to take the cost of the online pass into account if you want to play them. And if you're planning to play Arkham City from somewhere without an internet connection, you'll miss out entirely.

Source: Kotaku

1. Buy the game new

If you're like me, you saw this game for the larger picture of Batman in general and were planning on buying this brand new regardless. Yes, Catwoman is great but even without her this the sequel to "the greatest superhero game ever made". Remember, no matter how far her story goes she was always intended as a bonus. You should be buying this for Batman. Everything else is cake. Here's the facts: ALL new copies of Batman: Arkham City ship with a code to download Catwoman, her skins (TAS, and The Long Halloween), her story (with a completely different beginning of the game) and the ability to play as her in ALL challenge maps. This is the case no matter where you buy the game. So, you want to wait a few months for a price drop? Go right ahead. As long as it's a brand new copy of the game, no matter what you paid for it or where you bought it, you get Catwoman.

2. Buy the game used or rent it

If you buy the game used or rent it, the Catwoman content WILL NOT be on the disc. It is available by download only for $9.99 on PSN and 800 MS Points on Xbox Live. Gamestop, as noted in the article quoted, has made a deal with WB that will allow them to give the code to people who buy the game used. Let's look at what that means. The game is $59.99 in the US/Canada. I'm Canadian so I'll use my experiences as an example as it should be similar for any country with tax on goods. The game brand new is $59.99. Most retailers, including Gamestop, sell used new releases for $54.99, a mere $5 less than the cost of a new game. In my case, there is about $7 - $8 in taxes. That right there negates the $5 I saved. Then there's the $10 for Catwoman. If you're buying a MS point or pre-paid PSN card be prepared to pay $20 for the card as I don't believe they have $10/800 MSP cards. If that's the case then you'll have extra points/cash for Robin or Nightwing or the skins pack. In any case, you actually end up paying an extra $10 instead of saving anything. If you're buying used from anywhere that isn't Gamestop, you'd better consider this.

Some notes about accessing PSN/XBL and multiple users:

Access to both PSN and XBL are free at a basic level. All you need to do is connect to the Internet and redeem the code you DO NOT need XBL Gold or PSN Plus to be able to redeem your code. Just connect to the Internet and you're set. You also, don't need a constant connection. Downloading the content is a one time thing. As long as you can get to a friend's house or somewhere to connect to the Internet on either system, you're fine. If you have more than one person playing on PSN, as long as one profile unlocks the content, all profiles can use it. **Unfortunately, on Xbox 360, this doesn't apply. You must have a code for every profile.** Blame MS on that one. However, on both consoles, the content is saved in your downloads history and can be re-downloaded if need, should you replace your Hard Drive or get a new system.

Batman Arkham City Challenge map gameplay with 1970's Batsuit skin

[video=youtube;1MpO0JhUD-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MpO0JhUD-g[/video]

:D:DONLY 2 DAYS REMAINING !!!!!!! :)

Mod Note: Please don't post two posts back to back when one post will do. Thank you.

8. klammed

klammed the fool.

I'm caving and watching the intro posted by the media cows. Pre-ordered my copy through Amazon.co.uk, and they say it's coming on my doorstep on 8th Nov, so I'm guessing that's the international release date for PC. So glad the reviews are all great so far, totally looking forward to this.

9. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Neal Adams skin looks great, maybe I will buy that Skin DLC afterall:sweat:. Although whoever's playing stinks at keeping a chain together and way to spam the explosive gel. Still the fighting looks better than ever, smoother, more animations and the attacks look even more brutal. 2 days...

10. klammed

klammed the fool.

I know right xD I was thinking that. I would've just used batarangs to keep the crowd down. And wait, now I'm confused about the Catwoman content. This means every new copy purchased will have it right, whether it's pre-ordered or not? What if it's ordered through something like Steam?

11. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight

New Joker poster
    [​IMG]

12. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

One of my friends got the game and is playing it, I forgot the release date is set in 18th, thought it to be 14th

I'll do with this like I did with the previous one and wait a year or two after its release to purchase it

13. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

The wait for this one is killing me! Only a few hours left. I've been avoiding spoilers all week, so hopefully it pays off.

14. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The talkback for Batman: Arkham City will be up tomorrow morning!

15. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

16. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

#356 M.O.D.O.K., Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011
  17. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Best Buy gave me an ETA for somewhere between October 20th and November 1st. The wait is absolutely killing me as well. I would have loved to head out at midnight to Future Shop and get a copy. The wait continues.:ack:

18. James Harvey

Reminder for Canadian readers:

A host of American retailers are also planning midnight events for tonight.

I will have the talkback for Batman: Arkham City posted at 8am (ET) tomorrow morning.

19. O-chan

O-chan Active Member

Played up to rescuing Catwoman (which means hardly into the game). Really nice, although it took me a while to figure out how to get Bruce Wayne out of that chair in the beginning.

O-chan

20. James Harvey

Batman: Arkham City is here! Continue on to the official talkback threads.

Thread Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.