1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman and Robin (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman and Robin"

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

20.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

"Robin Rises" begins!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #33

[​IMG]

Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY

Picking up right where this month’s ROBIN RISES #1 left off, it’s Batman vs. the Justice League as the Dark Knight decides to follow the Chaos Shard back to its source: Apokolips!

Comments?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Not bad. A bit of a slow start to things but I am pretty interested to see how this all plays out. I love how Gleason draws the Justice League and Tomasi gave Batman some great scenes with some of the Leaguers, especially Aquaman. Does anyone think Damian will actually return at the end of this?

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Potentially, but I'm not sure if any writer would be unwilling to undo something Grant Morrison wrote. At the very least, I don't think Damian will be Batman's new Robin and that it'll be someone new taking up the title.

The Justie League interaction was pretty fun to read, particularly between Batman and Aquaman in the beginning and with Superman at the end. It was also nice seeing Batman realize how selfish he's been acting over Damian and how he took it out on the League :).

It was also cool finally getting to see Kalibak, though I wonder if Darkseid will make an appearance in this storyline? It feels like it's been quite some time since he's had a proper physical presence in the New 52.

4. James Harvey

Lex Luthor stands in his way!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #34

[​IMG]

Batman’s quest for Damian’s body is about to take him further down the road to damnation than he’s ever gone before! His first stop: the Justice League's Lex Luthor?!

Comments?

5. Wonder Woman

A great issue! So many big things are happening in this book and no one seems to be noticing. I like that this issue resolved the tension from the "Death of the Family" arc from last year. While Batman said tehre would be nothing from open honesty from here on out, he still has the team believing Dick Grayson is dead (which I guess he still covers by saying honesty from here on, allowing him to technically still be telling the truth). His break-in to the Watchtower for the armor suit was great and I really liked how Lex actually sided with him. This is seriously such a great title and it's a shame that not a lot of people seem to be acknowledging it.

6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

The whole thing with Batman promising no more secrets while still not revealing Dick was alive really annoyed me I don't think I'm going to read any more Batman books until this Agent Grayson thing is done with.

7. James Harvey

Batman versus Apokolips?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #35

[​IMG]

"Robin Rises" continues as Batman begins his trek on Apokolips to recover his son's body. But will he walk alone?

Comments?

8. Wonder Woman

I think this book is highly underrated. The action here was great, the emotions were perfect and the story is really invigorating and has me on the edge of my seat. I have no idea how this is going to end. I would love to see Damian back in the suit but I can't predict if that is how they'll go here. In fact even though the book stumbled a little bit after Damian first died and this book explored that, this comic has been in top form and is probably the most personal of all the Batman comics right now. And the artwork has always been so great. The Batsuit Batman is wearing is stunning and the cool costume designs Gleason used for the Bat-family to pay homage to Robin all looked great. They actually looked much better than some of their current designs. I do wonder if Cyborg is going to get in the way, though.

9. James Harvey

The League of Robins to the rescue?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #36

[​IMG] [​IMG]

“Robin Rises” continues as Batman and his allies make their push toward the heart of Apokolips!

Comments?

10. Wonder Woman

Geeze this book is so, so good. The cliffhanger with Darkseid looming over Batman has me really excited for next month. While we know how the arc ends, with Damian getting found and everything, I am still excited to see how it all plays out. I believe we have just two more parts left. The action scene with all the sidekicks fighting off those Apokolips creatures was excellent. Gleason is just so great on this book. I know I say it over and over but this is such an underrated comic that no one seems to really give a chance to.

11. James Harvey

The penultimate chapter! Batman versus Darkseid!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #37

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Batman vs. Darkseid! The penultimate chapter of "Robin Rises" is here! Can Batman bring Damian Wayne back from death? Concluded in this month's Batman: Robin Rises: Omega special!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

That two-page spread with Batman hugging Damian was one of the nicest moments from the Batman books in a long long time. It's great see see Damian is back. Even though we all knew it was coming the actual scene itself still paid off really nicely. And it looks like Batman is pretty badly injured at the end. We know he'll be fine but it did actually come as a bit of a shock considering the couple pages prior where everything was as happy as can be. My only gripe with this issue was how easily Darkeid was handled here.

13. James Harvey

A new status quo for Robin! But, will it be the undoing of the Dynamic Duo?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #38

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The team of Batman and Robin are together again! But what is the new dynamic for this crimefighting duo now that Damian has super powers of his own?

Comments?

14. Wonder Woman

A great issue! The graveyard scene was perfectly executed and a little haunting. The ending was so dark and pretty somber, but I also liked how it showed Damian taking responsibility. Plus it effectively writes those other clones out in a nice fashion.

15. James Harvey

Are the powers permanent?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #39

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Has Damian Wayne become something more than human? And how do you control a reckless child who now has super powers?

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

A couple neat developments in Damian's powers. I have a feeling they aren't permanent. The idea that he can't feel anything is interesting and is likely a side effect of his resurrection. This book only has one issue left so I hope it's able to wrap everything up since there seems to be a lot left to cover. This arc does seem to be a little fun too after how dark the book has been for nearly two years now.

17. James Harvey

The final issue! Is all what it seems?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #40

[​IMG]

Damian's powers have been a source of concern to Batman - and it's only a matter of time before he's called up to the big leagues!

Comments?

18. Wonder Woman

A pretty ho-hum ending to the Super-Damian story but a good capper to the series as a whole. It seems like Damian's powers are just drained and that's it. It's a bit of an underwhelming wrap to the story behind Damian's powers but it returns things nicely to status quo and I have to say I'm quite happy to see Damian back. I am happy with Damian being Robin from here on forward. And that last page, with Damian commenting on Bruce smiling, was one of the best Batman moments in recent years. A true heart-tugger and a perfect wrap to what is without a doubt the most underrated Batman comic on stands. I will really miss this book.

19. James Harvey

A special epilogue for the acclaimed Batman & Robin series!

BATMAN AND ROBIN ANNUAL #3

[​IMG]

Art and cover by JUAN JOSE RYP

After a year that included death, resurrection and battles with the forces of Apokolips, it’s time for Batman and Robin to get back to basics both as father and son and partners in crimefighting. But have the events of the past year left too great a rift for them to bounce back from?

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

It was a fun story and definitely different than the usual stories from the series, but I was a little let down by it. I was hoping it would lead into the new Robin solo comic or at least really reflect back on the last year or so, but it seemed to be more like a fun one-shot adventure that lightly touched upon Damian's recent return and superpowers and that's it. It was a fun story but it seemed too light to be the final Batman and Robin story.