1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman and Robin (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman and Robin"

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

20.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was wondering how this title was going to handle Damian's death. Obviously DC won't cancel a high-selling Batman book so rebranding it into a team-up book seems like probably their best option. I will likely keep my eye on the comic and see who appears in the coming issues. Of course I imagine this will be temporary as a new Robin is likely on the way within the next year.

2. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

The idea of this becoming a team book sounds really awesome to me. The only problem I have is that if they are going to try and get a new Robin I wonder how they are going to justify Bruce putting another child on the line especially in light of this being the 2nd Robin who has died so far and this one was a 10 year old child. I hope the writers handle this well.

3. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This sounds like Avenging Spider-Man.

4. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

A special silent issue...

BATMAN AND ROBIN #18

[​IMG]

Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY

• You dare not miss this issue!
    • It’s the BATMAN AND ROBIN story of the year!

Comments?

5. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Just think, a couple of months ago I was laughing at a cowled Damian adjusting the Batmobile's seats.. and now, well, there's a throat lump coming on.

I'm rather iffy on silent issues as they're quick reads and I (having controversial viewpoints) feel I get the money's worth from issues that aren't. Granted, artwork performs a major factor in these decisions and Gleason does the job well. This book really has been on a roll since DOTF started.

6. Wonder Woman

Hands down - the best Batman book of the month, maybe the year. It was an emotional and sometimes devastating read. As usual people continue to under-estimate this book. The writing really brings weight and realness to these characters, and the artwork is amazing. More people should seriously be reading this book. Just an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish. A great, great book. Easily the best issue of this book in sometime which is saying a lot considering how strong it manages to be month after month.

7. VictoryStar

VictoryStar "Here is your first present~"

This was the best Batman issue I've read since I started reading them back when the New 52 started. Such a sad and emotional ride throughout. Seriously excellent.

8. James Harvey

Introducing...Carrie Kelly?

BATMAN AND RED ROBIN #19

[​IMG]

• On the darkest of nights, who is the one person Batman meets that could change his life forever?

Comments?

9. Astrolupine

Oh sweet, Frankenstein! Nice that he's still sticking around after his book got axed. T'was was a fun title, kinda lost its potential after Lemire left, but pretty much the only other Dark book that I read outside of All-Star Western.

Again, another week where Tomasi beats Snyder. Glad to see that Batman didn't immediately resort to Lazarus pits (unless that's being covered in Inc.) to bring back his son. But it's still surprising that he'd resort to any type of resurrection when it leads to mixed results in the DCU. In any case, the Monster was written well enough and Tim Drake gets one of his few decent New 52 appearances (I really haven't heard good things about Teen Titans.).

Not too many thoughts on Carrie being added to the continuity, not too much of her character was shown. Still, it comes off as another excuse not to use Stephanie.

10. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

He's actually been a main character in Justice League Dark for a while now.

11. James Harvey

Featuring an appearance by Red Hood!

BATMAN AND RED ROBIN #20

[​IMG]

The massive fallout from the recent events in BATMAN, INCORPORATED take Batman to the very limits of his sanity…will The Red Hood pull him back—or push him over the edge?

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

I do kind of enjoy this arc. It's great to see Batman interacting with all of his sidekicks and stuff but I think I may have come across a fault with it. We already know how Batman would deal with the loss of a loved on - by becoming Batman. Granted he can't do that this time but I found that his reaction doesn't seem all that right here. He's becoming reckless and stupid and I get his grief is doing that but it also seems somewhat wrong. I don't think Batman would react like this.

I'm also not a fan of Hood's overly detailed new mask. It seems like a bit too much. The older version he has before the New 52 was much better in it's simplicity.

13. James Harvey

Featuring an appearance by Batgirl!

BATMAN AND BATGIRL #21

[​IMG]

What deal would you make to bring someone back from the dead? And in this issue, it’s Batman vs. Batgirl!

Comments?

14. Astrolupine

Didn't know James Jr. was dead as I haven't read Batgirl beyond the first 2 issues. Never was really fond of the idea myself- maybe I felt that Gordon had gone through enough torment previously and making his son his a killer was the breaking point, or that the character didn't have much of a hook to me.

As for this issue, it was kind of a letdown, considering the improvement from the book's first year. It felt much more like a Batgirl issue, and given the aforementioned events above, a little recap would be nice. And while Batman has been up to jerky-grief shenanigans lately (like kidnapping the freaking Frankenstein monster, bringing Jason Todd to his own deathsite for clues), both he and Barbara seem rather out-of-character.

Ah well, here's hoping next month gets back to speed.

15. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

Regarding James Jr, he's not actually dead. The world believes him to be, but he's since showed up in Suicide Squad.

Honestly, you're not missing much if you haven't been keeping up with him in Batgirl. It's not been bad, really, but nowhere near the greatness that was Detective Comics.

16. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece Active Member

This is starting to get bad, plus there were a lot of things wrong with this issue continuity wise. Glad this ends next month...(I think)

17. James Harvey

Catwoman steps in...to take advantage?

BATMAN AND CATWOMAN #22

[​IMG]

Bruce Wayne continues to grind through his grief over the death of Damian—but is Catwoman here to help Batman or take advantage of his vulnerable state?

Comments?

18. Wonder Woman

A major improvement over the last issue. There's no way Bruce can keep drawing out Damian still being alive to Carrie. Even his fake recording he made for her just didn't sound like Damian and I assume she'll catch on down the road. Still, Carrie is starting to become an interesting character and I hope she sticks around for a bit though I wonder just what DC Comics has planned for her. I really couldn't stand it if he offed her, too.

19. James Harvey

Batman's desperation grows.

BATMAN AND NIGHTWING #23

[​IMG]

Could Batman have saved Damian’s life after all? Guest starring Nightwing!

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

Now this was a great issue. As much as I miss Damian, and this issue really makes you feel it, I like this exploration of Batman's despair. Batman running all these simulations was pretty heartbreaking stuff. Failing every single time no matter what he does and even Nightwing trying to change the outcome. This is supposed to give Batman and Alfred some closure and I'm interested to see how this will play out in the next few issues. The "grief" issues have been good though some have been really miss. I still can't help but wonder about the fate of the book and if we're only treading water until the next Robin is introduced.