"Batman and Robin (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 14, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman and Robin"

1. *****

20.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

20.0%
  5. ***

20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

20.0%
  8. *1/2

20.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Father-and-son crimefighters tackle evil in the new DC Universe!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #1

[​IMG]

Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON and MICK GRAY

Battling evil with his son, Damian, at his side, Batman now realizes that the hardest part of the job may be trying to work together! As Batman and Robin try to adjust to their new partnership, a figure emerges from Bruce Wayne’s past: His name is NoBody, and he’s not happy that Batman Incorporated is shining a light on his own shadowy war against evil...

Comments?

2. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

This is the first issue in awhile where Damien's character really started to annoy me. Seeing him be the lil ass he is and Bruce (of all people) take it for the most didnt sit well with me. It looks like he is going to have a lot of trouble getting this kid in line if at all.

3. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I agree! I like Damian as a character and, yes, he should be a bratty, arrogant, wise-mouthed kid, but in this issue he just came off as overly annoying and obnoxiously disrespectful. Grant Morrison was able to successfully balance Damain as a brat, without it becoming too annoying, while also proving that he was admirable as the new Robin.

As fan of Morrison's Damian, and having a young son myself, I really wanted to like this series because it had that father/son dynamic going for it, but unfortunately this issue didn't do enough for me to want to pick up the next issue.

4. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I think Im going to give the series a few more issues atleast. But this one was a slight disappointment.

I think Dick and Damian actually worked better as a team in a lot of ways because Dick is the one hero who can probably get along with anyone. His and Damians relationship was more brotherly in some ways so his mouthing off was more exceptable. But with Bruce who in the past has been very a authoritative and strict figure just seemed like a pushover and recieved no respect from Damian here.

5. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

I wasn't feeling it either - I usually like Damian but the interaction between him and Batman was simply annoying. The dialouge seemed hacked on and the villain didn't seem to inspired.

This is the first book from the new 52 that I've read and been dissapointed with.

6. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Hm, I really enjoyed issue 1. Then again, the Tomasi/Gleason combination is right up there alongside Johns/Mahnke for me - these guys can do no wrong.

There's a review I read somewhere that really hit the nail on the head for me, but the crux of the story is pretty much summed up at the end when Damian can't figure out why he has to earn Batman's respect again when he already did it with the Dick Grayson iteration. The last time I recall Bruce/Damian being paired up was "The Return" one shot by Morrison, and Damian didn't score high marks there either. The new #1 pretty much signifies that a new Batman & Robin relationship is being built from the ground up again, and that the previous volume's adventures means about as much to Bruce as continuity does with the New 52.

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

I've read the first issue of Batman & Robin 3x now and aside from the fun interaction between Bruce and Damian I'm not finding much about this book that is going to keep me buying it. I'll give the 2nd issue a try. maybe the 3rd, but unless this book really picks up I don't see myself staying with it, especially with the sub-par art. I actually didn't like the art in this book at all and with just mediocre writing I'll probably just be sticking with Detective Comics and Batman's self titled book, unless The Dark Knight is a fantastic read.

8. suss2it

suss2it New Member

#1 was alright, but it didn't wow by any means. It was nice to have a Batman Inc. tie-in though, because I'm really intrigued by that idea.

It's interesting to see this happier version of Bruce interact with Damian, but at the same time I much preferred Dick and Damian, I think those two had much better chemistry with each other.

I'll stick with this book for now, since it's the only one with Damian, and I like where this Nobody plotline is going.

9. James Harvey

Can Batman and Robin survive as crime-fighting partners?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #2

[​IMG]

Batman’s fears about Robin’s tendency to dish out more pain than necessary are growing! And who is the man named NoBody, visiting Gotham City to say hello to his old friend Bruce Wayne and find out where he went wrong in his battle against crime.

Comments?

10. suss2it

suss2it New Member

This was good. A step up from #1, and the whole Nobody thing got solved pretty quickly.

11. James Harvey

Batman versus...Nobody?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #3

[​IMG]

As Robin does all he can to keep his own killer instincts at bay, Batman focuses his energies on Nobody, the deadly enigma from Bruce’s past who has arrived in Gotham and is hellbent on forcing him to accept a new world crimefighting view even as he infiltrates the Waynes’ personal lives.

Comments?

12. suss2it

suss2it New Member

#3 was good, maybe my favourite so far. Really loved Alfred in this. Maybe Talia should've abducted him to teach Damian? I also loved his double sleight of hand in regards to the tracker.And I'm guessing that their new dog will eventually be named Ace. But, Bruce would've been smarter getting Damian a cat rather than a dog.

The art was pretty good too. Nothing looked off or anything, and the fights looked brutal. Especially Batman getting his arm kicked against the wall.

On another note, I don't think it was meant to be funny but Batman getting run over made me chuckle. Looking forward to #4.

13. James Harvey

The origin of Nobody!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #4

[​IMG]

Batman and Robin are at the mercy of NoBody as he forces them to embrace a new way to battle crime and injustice. But Batman has other ideas!

Comments?

14. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

There's a preview for the next issue up:

http://kotaku.com/5873710/batmans-kill crazy-son-runs-away-in-this-batman--robin-5-preview

This book has been getting really excellent. Nobody has been a great villain though those wanting to avoid spoilers may want to avoid the preview since it does name who Nobody really is. This is really an underestimated Bat-title I think and is better than Detective Comics, way better than Batman: The Dark Knight, and almost on par with Batman.

15. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

This is a title that annoyed me at first but it has become a lot better in recent issues. The battle between Nobody and Batman has been an interesting one so far.

16. James Harvey

Is this the end of Batman & Robin?

BATMAN AND ROBIN #5

[​IMG]

There's a devil on Robin's shoulder – and his name is Nobody! Batman and Robin's relationship gets pushed to the breaking point as Nobody insinuates himself into Damian's life and tries to make him see that Bruce's plan to battle crime is hopeless – and only by teaming up and tapping into Damian's killer instinct can they ever hope to rid Gotham City of its evil roots.

Comments?

17. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Active Member

The story here was very good.
    Lots of Fun. A very good book so far.

18. James Harvey

Rocketing toward the finale of the first story-arc, things only get worse between Batman and Robin!

BATMAN AND ROBIN #6

[​IMG]

As the bond between Batman and Robin deteriorates, Robin is forced by NoBody to make a life and death decision – and Batman’s hunt through Gotham City to find them reaches a soul-searing moment that will push Batman to the edge!

Comments?

19. Spider-Man

Spider-Man Wallcrawler

How long is this arc going on for? I have to say I'm really enjoying this book. It's getting up there with Batman as the best Bat-book. The art is great and the story is actually really fascinated. It's exploring the Bruce/Damian dynamic and it's actually interesting. I can't remember the last time there was a father/son crime-fighting team in comics. Really a big change from the Dick/Damian team-up.

20. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

8 issues. Issue 9 will be the 'Night of the Owls' crossover. And despite being 8 issues, I gotta say the story doesn't feel unnecessarily decompressed like 'Justice League' has been - Tomasi and Gleason are furthering the story with each issue and it shows, even if the last 2 have taken a 'slight breather' to go into the Ducard flashback. Love how Damian used his real problems to play Nobody, which elevates the character above simply being Bruce's psychotic son. Can't wait to see how this arc ends.