1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman and Harley Quinn" Animated Release Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Discuss "Batman and Harley Quinn" and leave a rating!

1. *****

21.4%
  2. ****1/2

7.1%
  3. ****

21.4%
  4. ***1/2

14.3%
  5. ***

14.3%
  6. **1/2

7.1%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

7.1%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. I've Got a Batman in my Basement

7.1%
  1. iammattie

iammattie Member

While there's definitely a paper trail of Dini having done more work with the character since her conception, both of them are credited as her cocreators

2. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

Tara Strong and Lauren Faust just liked this tweet...

BethElderkin Twitter (Linking in case the image is considered too risque).

... which I feel is quite duplicitous from Strong considering she fully supported and advocated the clingy/man hungry Barbara from The Killing Joke. Plus, considering the support and roles Timm has given over the past 20 years, it seems a little strange to participate in calling him out and not entirely professional.

Then again, we know how aghast she was that she wasn't cast in Justice League vs. Teen Titans. If she was voicing Harley in this movie, you probably wouldn't hear a peep out of her.

3. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

You know looking back at this film for it's sexual content, as well as TKJ before, I think Bruce Timm might need to take a cold shower.

4. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Well, this reinforces my suspicion of Beth Elderkin's review, that she got caught up in one aspect of the movie. I mean, is it a good idea to say "This is what happens when men have creative control"? I hope it's obvious that she's responding to an inflammatory image with an inflammatory comment, and we all know about two wrongs.

5. Bestmand902

Bestmand902 Active Member

Ok, ok, Bruce IS her co-creator. I just don't like Bruce getting alllllll the Credit for the DCAU. I don't understand WHY he gets the most.

6. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

For those interested, I've posted up a review for the Batman and Harley Quinn animated feature at The World's Finest. The Blu-ray portion will roll out later next week, but I wanted to share the animated feature review a little earlier.

7. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

She can support the role and still be opposed to a butt crack on top of another butt crack. How did no one catch that before letting this be released? Really takes the sexiness out of it.

8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

August 15th:
    Another preview clip:

August 20th:
    Steven Choi posted some concept art for Harley Quinn:

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was once interviewing Chris Yost about some of the continuity glitches in AVENGERS: EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES (such as how do fans reconcile his statement that his X-MEN: EVOLUTION series was located in the same continuity, his statement that the comic was also in continuity, and that the appearance of Magneto and the Scarlet Witch in the comic was more or less a direct contradiction of the X-MEN: EVOLUTION series). His answer went something like this:

There are thousands of different continuities that run in parallel, some absolutely virtually identical except for one minor detail, and that detail may be in evidence or not. It's entirely possible that every episode of every series and every comic tie-in belong to a differing continuity; we'll never know. So unless you are really into unconfirmable speculation, what matters is "Did you enjoy the episode?", not "did all the tiniest details match up?". Our point is to make things you like, not to make sure every small continuity detail is accounted for.

10. BigFatHairyDeal

While I largely agree with this, I would also say that when the continuity details do line up properly, it's all the more enjoyable. I give huge credit when attention to detail is impeccable, and I say this as a guy who is not necessarily keen on continuity for these types of shows. A few hiccups are fine, but as long as there is effort to follow the narrative guidelines established by one's own continuity, I'm cool with that. I don't like things like the Star Wars prequel trilogy or Superman Returns when it feels like continuity is being blatantly ignored.

11. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

It's a fun movie but it's not anything special. It's a nice diversion more than anything and I am actually really interested to see how the sales go on this. I've been seeing a lot of ads online for it so it seems like WB is really trying to push this out. Makes sense given the popularity of Batman and Harley Quinn. I imagine they aren't happy with the mixed/positive reaction it has been getting. I've seen a few negative reviews but it's mostly mixed.

12. Alph

Alph Active Member

So what's the final verdict on this thing's DCAU status? Is there anything preventing it from taking place in between JLU and the RotJ flashback?

13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I don't consider it part of the DCAU. It has too much comedy in it and Harley seems smarter than she is in DCAU. But it's still a good movie in my opinion.

14. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

You can say that about some of the episodes in the DCAU, And Bruce Timm said it part of the DCAU then it in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dallas Kinard

Dallas Kinard Active Member

That all depends on where you think the ROTJ flashback takes place. I know popular opinion is right after JLU, but with Tim Drake's age and other logical in-consistencies which I won't name here to keep the peace, I think Timm was in error saying it's set then. But to answer your question, other than Harley's change in voice actress and her not being with the Joker, but then back with him in ROTJ, it can work. For reasons I won't say, I have it set between JLU and BB, but the ROTJ before JL/JLU.

16. BigFatHairyDeal

I think it's mostly up to the individual viewer to decide if this is in continuity. I choose not to for various reasons, not the least of which being I can't ever imagine DCAU Batman acting like he does in certain parts of the movie. Therefore, I elect to say this is "inspired by" the DCAU, or at least runs parallel to the DCAU.

17. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

What episodes? And I thought Bruce Timm left it up to the viewers to decide whether they want the movie part of DCAU?

18. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

19. Pfeiffer-Pfan

Pfeiffer-Pfan Makin' Whoopee!

That is just the Australian numbers, which isn't bad. Fathom Events have yet to reveal the domestic box office for Batman and Harley and they probably never will, which heavily implies that the returns were nothing special.

Batman: The Killing Joke was the perfect storm. It featured Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill (who has surged even more recently due to the sequel trilogy) as Batman and the Joker. It was the first R-rated animated Batman movie and was based on one of the most acclaimed, best selling and controversial graphic novels of all time. That is something that will turn enough heads.

Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders/Batman and Harley Quinn just doesn't have that kind of pull power or at the very least is too niche. It's fun for us as die-hard fans, but it just doesn't bring in enough casual viewers. If I'm being completely honest, the animation on these things simply cannot stand up to the scrutiny of the big screen anyway. They are not designed for that (with neither the budget or the time).

I understand that they are looking for other avenues to display these products, but I just don't think this is it. I also get why FATHOM picked this as the next screening, but honestly they'd be better off working on nostalgia and giving SUB-ZERO or RETURN OF THE JOKER a one night showing. They might just get better results.

I'll be amazed if they go to the effort to show Batman vs. Two-Face or any of next years DTV's on the big screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

A refusal to release the domestic box-office numbers for these theatrical releases seems to be standard operating procedure following the dismal big-screen performance of Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. For all of the critical drubbing that The Killing Joke received, it crushed both its Fathom Events screenings and its home video sales.
    - Return of the Caped Crusaders doesn't seem to have come close to making back its production costs.
    - Justice League Dark might have broke even, but we can't tell for certain without the box-office figures. I don't think it got an international screening.
    - It's too soon to gauge the success of Batman and Harley Quinn.

Does anyone collect and release the financial figures for digital downloads?

• Useful Useful x 1