"Batman and Harley Quinn (2017 Mini-Series)" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Oct 23, 2017.

?

Rate and discuss this DC Comics title!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

The artwork looked rushed like Burchett's but slightly better. I'm starting to wish they hired Vecchio to do every issue.

The ending was a gag pretty much in the same vein as the movie's end. At least there was an attempt to match the movie's tone.

It was nice to finally see Alfred appear.

Blockbuster - eh. They could have done without the Cadmus reference or used ARGUS instead since they appeared in the movie.

3. James Harvey

4. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

The first issue was light and just fine but the second issue was really great! I want to see more issues like this one! The tour through Arkham was great and it looked like there was real character progression for Poison Ivy and even Batman. I really hope we get to see more issues like this.

5. iammattie

iammattie Member

As was expected, the first two issues were previously released material from the Last Call hardcover packed in with the movies limited release. not upset about that by any means, I really enjoyed the book so I'm glad it gets to reach a larger audience who missed out. Looks like the third issue will be new material, so I'm excited about that!

6. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It was pretty neat they didn't go to the Joker's cell, granted he's still incarcerated and hasn't escaped.

Agreed, I think Batman's time with Harley got him thinking about his approach to rehabilitating criminals and if I remember correctly, Harley stood up for Ivy at least once during the movie. Which for the most part was true in a sense because the Harley Quinn and Batman comic helped lay down the idea that Floronic Man was the bad influence on Ivy and she wouldn't ever consider a plan that would threaten the whole planet without him goading her into it.

So 5 issues left. So Floronic Man, Nightwing, Harley are probably next. Wonder who the other 2 focus on unless it's connects everyone's stories heading into the finale of the comic.

7. James Harvey

8. iammattie

iammattie Member

Loved this issue, it's great seeing the tone change from the silliness of the movie to a conclusion with the seriousness we've come to expect from the DCAU. The art was great as well! I'm glad to see that the chapters that weren't included in the Last Call hardback are up to par quality wise, looking forward to the other couple that are yet to come!

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes, if the viewer wasn't satisfied with Floronic Man's defeat at the end of the movie, this issue is likely the superior conclusion. It takes place 3 minutes after the teaser of him running around on fire. Pretty cool. It was satisfying to see the Parliament of the Trees call him out then get him on his own logic. Plus a nice touch that Floronic Man admitted he once admired Swamp Thing and we get hear him talk a little about his home world Floria in the Dryad Dimension after that brief mention of it in the movie in a Batmobile scene.

10. James Harvey

11. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Batman cutting off Nightwing in the Batcave and his "I don't blush" at the end were amusing but the best part was Alfred singing, imo.

Neat selection of song nods at the bar, heh: "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" by Elton John, "No Rain" by Blind Melon, and "Ain't No Sunshine" by Bill Withers

#11 Yojimbo, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:32 PM
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 2:29 AM
  12. iammattie

iammattie Member

I loved this issue for the shot of Alfred singing Blind Melon. I wish that was Animated now.

Two-Face's presence is kind of odd though. He was just in Arkham in issue 2 set a few days beforehand, so if he escaped why doesn't Nightwing seem to care? Also, don't you think he'd be able to make the Wayne family connection if he saw Alfred? Him and Bruce were really good friends after all.

13. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, you got to keep in mind this story isn't set in a conventional tone -- so Two-Face being out and about -- Nightwing was more concerned about combating his boredom. As for Alfred, nobody remembers the butler's face-comic logic.