1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman and Batgirl a Couple?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Storm, Jul 30, 2002.

?

Who should Batgirl/Barbara Gordon Get Involved With?

1. Batman/Bruce Wayne

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Nightwing/Dick Grayson

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. Neither

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

Since this thread is here for now, I suppose I can throw my 2 cents on this.

First, I don't mind if Bruce and Barbara are a couple because like with a real life couple, if they really do love each other, why not? I don't know if the ages of the two were stated directly in Batman:TAS other than Barbara being just past her college years by the time TNBA came around, and Bruce doesn't look that much older. If "Robin's Reckoning" is anything to go by, Bruce still looks pretty young, and Dick was around 9? I think Dick said something about waiting half his life to get Zucco.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Well, I always figured that half the point of the Bruce/Barbara relationship was to make us, the viewers, feel uncomfortable. So, in that regard, I was fine with it. I probably would've been annoyed if it was a major plot point in the TNBA series proper, but since it was in Batman Beyond, which I also felt was a show meant to challenge your expectations of the Bat-universe, it kind of works. I mean, I find the idea pretty awful, in general, but within the show's context, it works.

However, when the DCAU was revived in comic form a few years back, and they decided to make Barbara prego with Bruce's kid... no thanks. Also, no thanks, The Killing Joke.

3. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

In season 3 of Batman, there were teases of a relationship between Bruce & Barbara, if only because they had recast the part of Catwoman (Julie Newmar was replaced with Eartha Kitt, and there went the subplot of any Bat-Cat shipping), and they needed to establish a new love interest for Bruce. Didn't work, and a friend told me that Adam West wasn't too comfortable with it anyway.

8 years after that series ended, DC decided to try it the other way, and have Robin swoon over Batgirl, even if he at the time was never able to actually tell Babs how he felt. Once Starfire came along in New Teen Titans, Babs was cast aside, and aside from a brief fling with Jason Bard, DC Editorial didn't seem to be in any hurry to find a new romance for her, unlike in the present day books. However, after the Dick & Kory deal ran its course, Dick found his way back to Barbara.

DCAU had other ideas, as has been noted in this thread, and illustrated in "The Killing Joke". I think Dini & Timm got their cues from what William Dozier and his staff had tried to do, but leaving the graphic novel adaptation in Brian Azzarello's hands was a mistake. Adding the prologue did nothing except muddy the waters. What saved the movie, BTW, was the use of Brian Bolland's original artwork as a template for the movie.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've been rewatching bits of the DCAU for awhile and for some reason, I completely forgot about Bruce and Barbara's relationship. Before I noticed the date for this thread, I thought it was referring to the changes made to the Killing Joke adaptation.

When I first watched Batman Beyond, I don't think I paid much attention to the reveal that Bruce and Barbara became a couple. I think that I just took it at face value. Rewatching parts of Batman Beyond now, that reveal does kind of bother me. The age difference is a bit weird. I forget how old Bruce is supposed to be during the TNBA, but ten years is a bit of an age gap when it's between a twenty something and a thirty something. What really bothers me is how he became involved with the ex-girlfriend of his adopted son. I don't know if they ever legally adopted Dick, but he still took him in after his parents were murdered and raised him. Becoming romantically involved with someone's ex is already a tricky situation, but it's worse if your father figure dates your ex-girlfriend. I just heard about the comic where it's revealed that Barbara was pregnant with Bruce's child, which is one reason why I wanted to still comment on this, and that twist kind of bothers me. It would explain why Dick separated himself so much from Gotham and why he didn't appear in Batman Beyond, but I can't really see Bruce doing that. I can see Barbara developing romantic feelings for Bruce after working alongside him, but I can't say the same thing about Bruce. Considering how much of a strain there already was on his relationship with Dick, one would think he wouldn't want to make it worse by getting involved with Barbara.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Revelator

Revelator In summary then: "Oh no."

I can, especially if Barbara was the only person he still had close ties with at that point. If the relationship happened after Dick left town, after Tim stopped being Robin, and perhaps after Alfred's death, then Barbara would have been the most important person in his life, someone he worked closely with everyday, and as Barbara said, they were a great team. And unlike every other woman in Bruce's life, she could accept both Bruce and Batman. What better partner than a fellow crime-fighter who could do so? The age-difference was ultimately inconsequential, since Barbara had a mature mentality, shared Bruce's goals (at the time anyway), and was not one of Bruce's stepkids--she took up crimefighting in her late teens and didn't become a real part of Bruce's team until a few years later. As for Dick, he had already left their lives, probably in a huff, and was old history. I'm not at all surprised that two people working so closely together, so united by a common purpose, and so comfortable with each other's dual-identities would eventually fall in love.
    That said, the scenario in Batman Beyond (the show, not the later soap opera comics)--when they had become a seasoned team--makes their relationship more plausible and less offensive than the equivalent in the Killing Joke, which felt gratuitous, undermined Barbara's character, and left a bad taste in everyone's mouth.