1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman and Batgirl a Couple?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Storm, Jul 30, 2002.

?

Who should Batgirl/Barbara Gordon Get Involved With?

1. Batman/Bruce Wayne

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  2. Nightwing/Dick Grayson

20 vote(s)
    54.1%
  3. Neither

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Storm

Storm Active Member

I remember watching an episode of Batman Beyond and Bruce was looking through a computer scrap-book with all of his loves. It showed Selina Kyle, Talia, and Barbabra Gordon. Was Batman and Batgirl ever a couple?

2. rabidkittyspike

rabidkittyspike Two legged split-tailed fiend

There was an episode where Terry and Barbara were talking and she implied that when Dick left for Bludhaven she stayed as Bruce’s girlfriend, but she doesn’t actually say it

3. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

Don't pay too much attention Storm it's just another episode of Elseworlds Beyond.

4. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

[color=00FFFF]Yeah Batman Beyond could pretty much be considered an animated version of an "Elseworlds" story, but because of how great the show was, I can't just ignore the issue. :)

To clarify, Bruce and Barbara being a couple in the past of Batman Beyond's time is only something the episodes make us assume. Nothing was ever mentioned. The only clues we got were in Black Out with Terry's convo with Barb in the coffee shop, and in Out of The Past where we see a picture of Bruce and Barb together, EVEN THOUGH the pictures he was going through were mostly of former girlfriends. (but as Nightwing if he DID wrangle her into his web of obsession and manipulation I will have to kill him....:p)

If you wanna judge the 'picture' blurb of Barb and Bruce yourself, Out of The Past will be on again this Wednesday the 31st. [/color]

5. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

At least the Barbara/Bruce relationship in Batman and Batman Beyond wasn't as painfully obvious as it was in the sixties show. Then again, Barbara was a college grad, and Dick was in high school at the time, so it's better to up than down :p ...

I wonder though, how exactly would that work out...?

Later.

6. Calico

Calico Didn't you get the memo?

Actually, the conversation in the coffee shop happened in A Touch of Curare.

I think the relationship adds a sad footnote to Bruce's lovelife. How must he have been feeling to get involved with the exgirlfriend of his son?

7. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

you said it Calico. And geesh, what way to form a bigger rift between himself and Dick. *shudders* the Bruce and Barbara thing freaks me out....not necessarily the age because in the comics she's older then Dick, so why not go for Bruce who isn't that older..it just seemed so...weird. Anyhoo, I don't think I ever caught the pic of Bruce and Barb, guess I'll have to catch that episode tomorrow then!

~Barb

8. Tim Drake

Tim Drake Active Member

If you read the Batman Beyond Return of the Joker Script there is a scene that was never produced. Jordan Pryce says

"You were romantically linked to Comissioner Barbara Gordon though you never married."

9. murmur

murmur Loud whispers

Well, I don't think Bruce was ever officially Dick's adoptive father, just his caretaker/guardian. Still though, I agree, it's a bit, er...icky. Not all that unrealistic though, considering how psychologically...um, interesting they are.

10. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

I can't help but remember a little dream sequence at the beginning of "Batgirl Returns" that came just a split-second away from Bruce and Barbara's first kiss after she saved Batman from an attack by the trio of Two-Face, the Joker, and the Penguin (Barbara awoke from her dream courtesy of Dick Grayson).

Here's a screen grab to remind everyone who hasn't seen the episode recently:

[​IMG]

11. Storm

Storm Active Member

I remember that episode. LOL pretty funny if you ask me LOL :p

12. LazyReaper

LazyReaper I'm weird. You wanna doubt it?

Here are screenshots of Barbara & Bruce in 'Out of the Past':

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awww... now how can you neglect that? ;)

They were a couple. There's no doubt about it. :)

-Aximlli-

13. Storm

Storm Active Member

They made a nice couple :D I wonder want drove them apart?
    Nightwing? :p

14. Trent Lane

Trent Lane How can that be?!

It's kinda weird seeing Bruce smile... creepy as well...

I see BB as the future of TNBA, so I'd agree that they were a couple...

15. TimTwoFace

TimTwoFace Mod, and Minotaur Bait

Yeah, it must be. You know how moody and stubborn both those two are - and throw a girl into the mix, and man, bad things are gonna happen. That could be a reason why Nightwing "left to establish himself in another city" (as said in ROTJ) and was never really heard from again.

-Tim

16. Weatherman

Weatherman Space...not what it used to be
    Staff Member Reporter

That's supposed to be a smile on Bruce's face? :eek:

I guess that gives us a bit of an idea of how far gone Bruce was by that point when a smile looks more like a threat.

Yeah, they made a cute couple, and the implication in A Touch of Curare was pretty strong before The WB seems to have started to watch for those kinds of things.

17. The Old Maid

The Old Maid Voice in the wilderness

Barbara's schoolgirl fantasies were cute and acceptable when she was, well, a schoolgirl. In the comics she dreamed and gossiped about her father's mysterious visitor with her best friend Marcy. Marcy later recognized the adult Batgirl and tried for years to talk Barbara out of this crush, feeling that a healthy woman would have outgrown it. Marcy was right, too. Clearly her relationship with Dick Grayson brought out the adult in her. And an adult woman shouldn't be sampling all the men in a family, nor should they be passing her around the campfire. The concept is so Jerry Springer. I half expected Alfred to hobble out from behind the curtain and howl, "I'm the grandpa, and I'm sleeping with her too!"

Or, to use an example that wasn't staged, the Bruce/Barbara affair seems too Woody/Mia/Soon-Yi. If memory serves, Woody Allen has convinced people that he didn't commit incest with his stepdaughter because he was never a legal presence in her life. He never married the mother, neither did he father or adopt her child. The fact that he was the father figure, who reared this girl, lived in her home, had relations with her mother, and served as the girl's model for love and marriage, meant nothing to him when it became inconvenient. He wasn't her stepfather, her father, her anything. Just her lover. Woody also declared that Mia's daughter was "only" an adopted child anyway -- in effect, proclaiming that adoption does not create a "real" family. This is the reasoning behind the Bruce/Barbara/Dick situation. That even though Bruce raised Dick and taught him (for better or worse) how to be a man like him, their relationship isn't "real" because it's not blood.

If TNBA's "Chemistry" made a mockery of Bruce --

throwing over a lifetime of choices, prior relationships, and beliefs for a convenient lust (he's rejected Poison Ivy and her traps several times) --

then how much more so a "family affair" with someone who's ten times more inappropriate.

For me it's not the age of the characters but the roles and responsibilities. Barbara grew up under Batman's protection, just as his boys did. Are they really that dirty? Why undermine a character and embarass his or her cause merely for variety? Why change a character for idle experimentation, to see how bad "bad" can get? It poisons the characters in the eyes of the fans. Now is that really smart?

#17 The Old Maid, Jul 31, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2002
  18. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

Hey did Batman and Batgirl ever any type of relationship in the comics?

19. czyznyck99

czyznyck99 Active Member

If Barbara had been fooling around with Tim Drake, THAT would havve been Springer quality entertainment.

But I agree with you, Old Maid. The one problem I had with Chemistry was that the relationship between Susan and Bruce was too quick, even with the plant premise behind it.

I don't remember seeing much of this relationship in the comics, unless I missed a story arc somewhere.

20. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

If there was any interest between Batman and Barbara Gordon Batgirl in the comics, it was strictly one-way (from Batgirl to Batman), and never reciprocated, let alone consummated. I'd also characterize the interest as an obsession with the concept of Batman rather than any affection for the man himself. None of the comics have ever broached the topic of a Barbara/Bruce relationship.

This doesn't include the Batwoman/Batgirl of the earlier Batman eras, who existed purely to pursue Batman and Robin, respectively, and irritate the readers. In any event, that affection was never returned, either.

-- Ed/Ace