1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman '66 (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jul 17, 2013.

?

"Batman '66" - Rate and Comment on this DC Comics title!

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

25.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

A classic cover art homage for a modern classic Batman title.

BATMAN '66 #22

[​IMG]

WRITER: MIKE W. BARR
    ARTIST: MICHAEL AVON OEMING

The Queen of Diamonds strikes again! Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson are invited to a swank charity ball, only to discover that all the money is going to Marsha--whether the donors like it or not!

*Above description is from the previous solicitation for the issue, the story does not appear in this issue. A Penguin story is featured instead. Original solicitation (again) and original solicited cover:
    http://www.dccomics.com/comics/batman-‘66-2013/batman-’66-22

Comments?

Preview for this month's issue:
    Preview: Batman '66 #22 - Comic Book Resources

Batman '66 is released digitally first and can be read/downloaded here at Comixology:
    https://www.comixology.com/Batman-66...52?Issues_pg=1

#101 rggkjg1, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

The Marsha story was delayed for unknown reasons, but having Mike W. Barr write an issue was worth the $3 all by itself. Michael Avon Oeming? Not so much. He tried, but his style didn't quite mesh.

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

The Marsha story is rescheduled to be released in Batman '66 print issue #24.

And with Solomun Grundy and Clayface about to appear in the next Batman '66 print issue (#23), is there rumors an upcoming Batman '66 print issue will include the Batman '66 world appearance of Harley Quinn (from Batman: The Animated Series)?

4. hobbyfan

Rumor is now fact. The Harlequin (Harley Quinn as she would've been known in the 60's) will debut in issue 25, out in July.

5. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Wasn't the Harlequin -alter ego Duela Drood - originally claimed to be the daughter of the Joker and a member of the West Coast Teen Titans?

6. hobbyfan

Duela Dent, as she was originally known, pretended to be the daughter of not only Joker, but other villains as well. Her pre-Crisis appearances had her as Two-Face's kid, too, and Harvey showed up in a 2-parter, IIRC. She was at first billed as Joker's Daughter, but was then changed to Harlequin, the 2nd woman to use that handle, the first being a Golden Age enemy/lover of Green Lantern Alan Scott. People forget that coupling was essentially a copy of Batman/Catwoman.

7. rggkjg1

Solomon Grundy and Clayface get the Batman '66 treatment!

BATMAN '66 #23

[​IMG]

WRITER: Jeff Parker
    ARTIST: Giancarlo Caracuzzo, Brent Schoonover

Two villains from Batman’s classic Rogues Gallery get the ’66 treatment in two separate stories! First, Hilda, aunt of Marsha Queen of Diamonds, messes with forces beyond her control and brings forth Solomon Grundy. Then, when False Face goes looking for a shape-shifting formula, he ends up creating Clayface!

Comments?

Preview for this month's issue:
    Preview: Batman '66 #23 - Comic Book Resources

Batman '66 is released digitally first and can be read/downloaded here at Comixology:
    https://www.comixology.com/Batman-66...52?Issues_pg=1

8. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I learned Batman '66 print issue #26 due in August 2015 will feature the first Batman '66 era appearance of Poison Ivy.

9. hobbyfan

Ok, so they came up with a novel way to meld the original Clayface, Basil Karlo, with the Silver/Bronze Age version (Matt Hagen). Not too bad. Solomon Grundy originally was created as a foe for the Golden Age Green Lantern, but has been used vs. Batman and, IIRC, Superman, in the pre-Crisis era. Using Marsha to bring Grundy into the mix? Not feeling that so much.

10. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

#23.
    I thought both stories used an interesting way to introduction characters not seen on the TV series.
    Aunt Hilda bringing back a dead husband of Marsha as Solmon Grundy was somewhat clever. Although I never bought in while watching the show
    that Hilda could perform real magic.
    Some of the art in certain panels remind me of Carime Infantino Bat-Artwork from the 60's.

Now the 2nd story was very clever. Weaving Basil Karlo-False Face-Clayface into one was very ingenious.
    And Batman solution to the now powerfull foe was a take off from the way Batman dealt with Blockbuster in their early battles during the late 60's.

A Well Done and a pat on the back for Jeff Parker.

Also a nice cover by Allreds.

11. rggkjg1

Originally scheduled for April, the Marsha Queen of Diamonds story debuts in print this month.

Batman '66 #24

[​IMG]

Writer: Ray Fawkes
    Artist: Jon Bogdanove

Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, is back for another bejeweled bout with the Dynamic Duo. When she strikes at a gala ball for Gotham City's elite, will even guests Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson fall under her spell?

Comments?

Batman '66 Digital Comics - Comics by comiXology

12. hobbyfan

Not a bad story. Bane debuts in the issue appearing in September, along with Riddler.

13. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I was a bit disappointed in issue #23. I thought it stumbled a bit in the story despite the neat twists the writers took in creating Clayface. Using False Face was actually a genius stroke. The Grundy issue fell a little flat I thought. I'm on a verge of adding this to my monthly pull list. I end up buying a 4-6 single issues a year while I wait for the hardcovers and the upcoming issues with Bane and Harley have me intrigued.

14. rggkjg1

I think I'm going to start a new "thing" which will be where I pick the greatest Batman '66 moment of the year. Current greatest Batman '66 moment of the year (2015): Batman and Robin take the bus (Batman '66 #24).

Now I'll have to go back and look for the greatest moment of 2013 and 2014 (most likely Alfred's cousin answering the Bat-phone, telling Gordon he has the wrong number, and that Batman isn't there).

15. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

Jon Bogdanove art on #24 was a HOME RUN. BEAUTIFUL! :D
    Story was so-so. In fact it seem very similar to the plot of Marsha first apperanace on the show.

16. rggkjg1

Put your pre-orders in now, or put it on the top of your to do list. Harley Quinn makes her debut in Batman '66 next week. I pre-ordered 12 copies months ago, and will buy a couple more too (at least one directly from my store). I don't get the Harley Quinn "thing", but I won't be surprised if this will be a hard comic to get (at a reasonable price) in the coming months. Maybe this issue will be the first time a Batman '66 comic gets a second print.

17. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Why are you ordering 12 copies and then buying a couple more? Do you run a comic shop? That's the only way that really makes sense. I'm looking forward to Harley's issue next week, though. Should be fun and I'm interested to see what they're going to do with her.

Bogdanove's art was great in that last issue. I can't believe this is the same person who drew Man of Steel in the 90s. It's so different.

18. rggkjg1

Because (for whatever reason) anything with Harley Quinn apparently = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I'm not taking any chances with this.

19. hobbyfan

I don't recommend speculating like that. It got out of control 20 years ago. Remember, this is online first before it sees print, so if anyone wanted it before spending $3 on a print copy, they'd already have it. I have 1 copy on order, and that's it.

20. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

I learned an upcoming Batman '66 issue (#28) will feature the long awaited Batman '66 era appearance of Killer Croc (which has been postponed twice in the past) along with the first Batman '66 era appearance of Scarecrow (I know the Scarecrow never appeared in the 1966-1968 Batman TV series, but appeared in an episoode of the 1968 Filmation Batman cartoon series titled "The Great Scarecrow Scare", now if only the Batman '66 title can do a story with the 1968 Filmation Batman cartoon series villian Simon the Pieman in it!)