1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman '66 (2013 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Jul 17, 2013.

?

"Batman '66" - Rate and Comment on this DC Comics title!

1. *****

75.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

25.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I read Batman '66 in hardcover but I had to get this one right away and I'm glad I did. How great was the art here? I liked that this issue looked like a superheroic take on the old show, where Batman looked like a great mix between the Adam West version and the comic book version. And the Two-Face design was nice though it was a little too Batman Forever for me. The story was great and just over the top fun, as usual with this book. I'm used to the art being a bit more cartoony and poppy so it was a bit of an adjustment to combine the usual the poppy script with the more superheroic art but geeze it looked so good. It wasn't the most original story but it was fun. I was surprised to see this story originally delved into Two-Face's origins since they never explored origins (save for once or twice) in the TV show. The huge helping of extras made the rather high $10 tag worth it I think.

2. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

When will the good professor learn to wear a hard hat or helmet?

BATMAN '66 #17

[​IMG]

WRITER: JEFF PARKER
    ARTIST: SCOTT KOWALCHUK

Professor William McElroy has taken another blow to the head and once more believes himself to be the reincarnation of the Egyptian Pharaoh King Tut! This time he's uncovered a virus associated with Osiris, Egyptian God of the Underworld, that will turn the citizens of Gotham City into zombies, ready to do his bidding - including eliminating Batman and Robin!

Comments?

Batman '66 is released digitally first and can be read/downloaded here at Comixology:
    https://www.comixology.com/Batman-66...52?Issues_pg=1

3. rggkjg1

Batgirl Returns

BATMAN '66 #18

[​IMG]

WRITER: JEFF PARKER, TOM PEYER
    ARTIST: JONATHAN CASE, DAVE BULLOCK

Two Bat-tales in one issue! When Barbara Gordon finds her library attacked by the Bookworm, it’s time for Batgirl to sprint into action. Meanwhile, Batman and Robin find things in Gotham City turned upside down when the Archer steals the GCPD’s computer and gives the criminals the upper hand on the police.

Comments?

Preview for this month's issue:
    Preview: Batman '66 #18 - Comic Book Resources

Batman '66 is released digitally first and can be read/downloaded here at Comixology:

4. Road to Gotham

Road to Gotham Well-Known Member

I read this comic the other day.
    Beautiful art by Jose. Although B&R look nothing like Adam and Burt.
    The story was itself was well done. A few tweaks here and there it would have made a fine TV script.
    Surprise the comic book origin for Two-Face was used. I was always under the impression that a TV Set exploded in Harvey's face. Maybe there is another script some where.
    I really can't see Clint Eastwood as Two-Face. Maybe I am too used to see him in Westerns(Rawhide and movies) to see him play something other then a cowboy at this point in his career.

5. Road to Gotham

Jonathan Case whose art I dislike in the early issues, drew an excellent BATGIRL solo story.

6. rggkjg1

BATMAN '66 #19

[​IMG]

ARTIST: LEONARDO ROMERO

Lord Marmaduke Ffogg has come to Gotham City, and he’s brought a bit of old Londinium with him. Specifically, some of that city’s famous fog! But this is no normal fog. His malicious mist may just find the entire populace saying “Gor Blimey!” Can Batman and Robin see their way clear to stop this cloudy culprit in time, or will the city swing like a pendulum, too?

Comments?

Preview for this month's issue:Preview: Batman '66 #19 - Comic Book Resources

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Whoa! This issue was, like, late or something, wasn't it? Nearly six weeks between issues, and no explanation? WTF?

Ffogg looks completely new, as if they're setting up a transfer to the core DCU, rather than using the image of Rudy Vallee. Ffogg, though, wasn't a favorite back in the day, a 1-shot who merited the longest Bat-arc in the series' run. Verily, they be starting to run out of ideas.

8. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

Actually, that arc is tied with the "Zodiac Crimes" storyline and the one where the Penguin makes a film with Marsha, Queen of Diamonds as the longest arcs in the Batman '66 series.

9. hobbyfan

All of them were 3 parts, right? I used to think the Ffogg one was 4 parts for some reason.

10. Wonder Woman

I read this book through the hardcover collections (which I wish DC would release faster) but I am definitely going to make an exception for the upcoming issue featuring Lord Death Man. That issue I simply can't wait for. This series has been a consistently fun read. It's light, fluffy and passes the time. It's not the best Batman comic out there but it's definitely the funnest. I'm actually surprised DC doesn't plug this book more considering the enormous fanbase the original 1960s show still has.

11. rggkjg1

Jokerman Begins

BATMAN '66 #20

[​IMG]

WRITER: ROB WILLIAMS
    ARTIST: RUBEN PROCOPIO

Gotham City has a new hero in town: Joker Man! Can it be? Has the Clown Prince of Crime now become a comedic crimefighter? This new Joker seems to be sincere about lassoing the lawless by rounding up all the criminals, including some of his former allies! In fact, he's so good at it that the citizenry wonders if they still need Batman and Robin at all!

12. hobbyfan

Talk about a transparent plot.

The "Jokerman" gimmick was inspired by Bob Dylan's song of the same name, the video of which utilized some of Neal Adams' designs (as in, reproduced panels from Silver Age DC). However, this plot device has been used before with Penguin on TV (both the live-action and 1st animated Batman series had Pengy pretending to go straight but, it, of course, was a ruse). Meh, I've seen better.

13. rggkjg1

Usually when there's a fill in writer or artist, I don't get too excited, but the art in this issue really impressed me. It was also nice to see some traditional Batman imagery as well (brooding in the study at night, Batman going out at night, etc)

14. Road to Gotham

Art was BEAUTIFUL in BATMAN 66 #20. Hope this artist sticks around for many issues.
    Just read THE LORD DEATH MAN story by Jiro Kuwata from the 1st Vol of Bat-Manga. Very interesting.
    And despite the short running time it was adapted very well on B:TB&TB.
    All leading too me looking forward to the Batman and Batgirl in Japan story with Lord Death Man.

15. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Do you think there should be a Batman '66 annual that could feature an adaption of a 1968 Filmation Batman cartoon as a bonus?

16. hobbyfan

Now, there's an idea.

17. rggkjg1

All the way from Japan and Grant Morrison's run, Lord Death Man gets the Batman '66 treatment!

BATMAN '66 #21

[​IMG]

ARTIST: SANDY JARRELL

There’s a new villain in town and even Batman’s rogues gallery trembles at his name: Lord Death Man! Soon, the Dynamic Duo are jetting off to Japan to track him down. The classic villain from the 1960s Batman comics and manga gets the BATMAN ’66 treatment. Don’t miss this landmark moment in Bat-history!

Comments?

Preview for this month's issue:
    Preview: Batman '66 #21 - Comic Book Resources

18. Wonder Woman

I read this comic primarily in the hardcover collections. I just got the Batman/Green Hornet hardcover collection for example, but I had to pick up this comic and I have to say it was likely one of the best issue of the comic so far. Granted I've only read what has been released in hardcover or the one-shots but this issue was fantastic. The art was gorgeous, the coloring fit everything perfectly and the story was a blast. I think I've re-read this comic five times already. Such a great comic book.

19. hobbyfan

Unfamiliar as I am with Lord Death Man, I was thus a wee bit underwhelmed. Would it have been too much to ask if they had tried a tried & true cliffhanger finish, setting up the first legit story arc in this series?

Nice touch, though, with Robin sidelined for most of the issue, giving Batgirl some shine time, although a different scenario could've replaced the vertigo with a concussion.

20. Road to Gotham

The Lord Death Man story was IMO the best in the series so far. Very moody art and story.
    Love the new Batmobile.