1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Batman #608 - 619 "Hush" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Oct 23, 2002.

?

Rate and Comment on "Hush"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Ever since the news broke last spring, fans and readers alike have waited breathlessly for this moment: Jim Lee pencilling Batman! You’ve seen the sketches and previews in Wizard: The Comics Magazine. You read about it online. You’ve been awed by the posters and banners at the summer conventions. Now, one of the most anticipated events of the year is here!

BATMAN #608

[​IMG]

Written by: Jeph Loeb
    Art and cover by: Jim Lee and Scott Williams

In stores October 23. Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee begin their much-anticipated run on Batman with the 12-part “Hush.” What’s this new storyline about? Like the title says, it’s a secret that’s best kept under wraps for now. But Killer Croc is sure to be a part of the puzzle. What we can tell you is that Batman attempts to bring an end to the vile kidnapping of an innocent child. But suddenly, all hell breaks loose…

Comments?

2. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

I am about to read this issue in a few minutes. I was wondering about Croc's look for months now since the first pictures were made public.

3. Green-Ghost

Green-Ghost Active Member

I will get the comic tomorrow or on Friday.
    I can't wait to get it.
    I have see the last page with Poison Ivy and this is amazing :eek: :D

4. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

Well I urge you to get this issue as fast as possible since a lot of people will be getting four or five copies of it.

I just read this issue and it's everything that I expected it to be. Brilliant writing and beautiful artwork. The story seems interesting enough so far as long as Lex Luthor isn't some big mastermind behind all of this. ;)

I must have missed it, they just said Croc had mutated. They didn't say how or why?

5. Green-Ghost

Green-Ghost Active Member

I will get it twice :)
    First I have order it at a internet-comicshop to get it earlyer and than I have subscribe the Batman series at my local comic shop.

6. Ms. Kitty

Ms. Kitty Is BUSTED!!!

I really hope this arc is going to be made into a TPB. I don't have a lot of free time,
    ...But if they put all in one big book I'll be happy! :D I'm going to try and get this issue at least. :)

7. zero zero nine

zero zero nine striding

I am the proud owner of the FIRST issue to be released at my comic book store, even before all those pull-list junkies. :D

I loved it.

But I'm wondering how Batman will function now that

and man... Catwoman is so hot.

It's costing five bucks to get a second copy!!!!

8. Cogliostro

Cogliostro Finish it...

I just read it. This is my first time getting Batman and first time staying monthly with DC (I tried with the Murderer thing but I couldn't keep up with the title to title thing.) I really enjoyed this issue, great start to what will be a amazing story. The art is amazing and the writing is good (Hey I can't say its great yet nothing really has happend). I will be looking foward to the issues ahead. 1 down 11 to go...

*EDIT - SLIPKNOT you should have made a poll to go along with the thread to see how much people like the issue...

9. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

Wow! This arc is off to a promising start! I liked everything about it from the art to the story. Killer Croc's new look I wasn't thrilled about but at least they addressed that issue. Catwoman was a nice touch, as was Ivy at the end. Actually, it was the little things in this issue I liked best. Like the new logo, and the little intro right before the title, ya know the one summarizing why Bruce is Batman. Also I enjoyed Batman's thoughts on how Superman would handle the situation. And the paper was such a good quality! Is that going to be the case in all 12 issues? I sure hope so. Can't wait for next months!

10. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

Joker DC annouced they were going to use a better quality paper for the entire run. It was kinda funny to see the ads on the old paper with the story on the new fresh paper. I enjoyed the art a lot and the paper was very welcomed.

Croc's look reminds me of the Lizard.

To the P word, they are just a waste of space and are not a true measurement for how good this issue was. If someone liked the issue, then they can say what they liked. Same goes for someone who didn't like it. Using "P's" incourages people to give fake results instead of their true feelings. It also makes them express opinions in words and not in clicking.

11. jm5150bc

jm5150bc Member

The Loeb/Lee run is off to a great start !!

Story-wise, this was a really well paced set-up issue that really drew me right in. The detail expressed in Batman's thoughts reminded me a lot of Denny O'Neil, who is the Bat-Guru in my mind, so I enjoyed that very much... I can't wait to see what Jeff's got up his sleeve for the rest of the run.

Art-wise, what can I say... JIM LEE ROCKS !!! Ever since his X-Men #1, I had always hoped he'd do some Batman work, and we all know that he has before in lithos and "Black & White", etc. To have him on the flagship "Batman" title, though, is a true blessing. His Batman is awesome !! (although I honestly wish that he wouldn't draw the ears under the cowl ;) - an extreme nit-pick, to be sure, but I find it a little distracting !). The new Croc design is maybe a bit overboard, but he certainly looks more "Croc" than he ever did before, and truthfully I never really liked the way he looked before, until B:TAS. Catwoman looked amazing, and the sneak peak on Ivy was great, too.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to #609 !!

12. Cogliostro

Cogliostro Finish it...

Good point SLIPKNOT...

13. Marc

Marc Friend from another star?

As someone who hasn’t read a monthly Batman comic for almost fifteen years, I feel really out of the loop. I thought this was a decent issue. Nothing revolutionary, but I definitely sensed a Neal Adams vibe while reading this. Jim Lee is one of my heroes, and his work here is a classic example of why he’s one of the best. But I can’t help feeling like this is nothing we haven’t seen before. His style hasn’t changed at all really, and looking at his art in Batman makes me feel like I’ve gone back in time to Marvel Comics, 1992. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on who you ask. ;)

I might stick with Batman until Lee leaves.

14. Terminal

Terminal "Me?...I'm the best"

Long time, no post

I snagged a copy of #608 yesterday and I gotta say I thought it was fantastic. The art is superb. The new design of Croc is just sick and monstrous: I love it! Can't wait for #609.

15. BLACKHEART

BLACKHEART Member

I have a new question for you all. On the first page where we see Batman, the title/credit page. Does Batman look a lot like Wolverine or what bub?

16. Zoddman

Zoddman Made for your pleasure

Heh, heh, Lee tried to avoid that... :p

17. Barb Gordon

Barb Gordon Nin-Mod

It rocks to be a girl. why? Cuz my comic book guy had only one copy of 608 left for someone else, but he gave it to me, well because...I've got nice legs :p Wooo! Anyhoo, wow, I love the art! Ivy is absolutely stunning...and Croc is scaring the crap out of me. Good characterization for Batman and the whole story really left so many intriguing questions, I can't wait for the next issue!

~Barb

18. kid_flash

kid_flash Speedy Teen

With that out of the way, I couldn't help but have a few thoughts on the amazing work in BATMAN #608...

1) A newer, better direction for Batman? I hope so. As good of work as Greg was doing on DETECTIVE, even that title has been slipping as of late.

2) A greater focus on art? Now, I don't want DC to become Top Cow, but for the most part, DC's books have looked like crap lately. Definitely the one that stood out the most was, oddly enough, BATMAN with inks and colors that did a true disservice to Scott McDaniel's amazing pencils.
    With not only Jim Lee onboard, but also the return of the glossy pages to a monthly comic, this could mark a renewed interest in art at DC, which I feel has only been fullfilled each and every month with Scott Kolins on FLASH and Tan Eng Huat on DOOM PATROL.

3) Smart Batman stories? IMO, the last truly great, epic Batman story was OFFICER DOWN. You can say what you want, but MURDERER/FUGITIVE/LOOK AT BATMAN GOING CRAZY OH WAIT NOW HE'S NICE was pretty disappointing. All that build-up, and it's Cain? And that's not even mentioning the inconsistancies, ESPECIALLY in the art department (but I already discussed that).

4) A renewed interest in DC among the fan community? It's official, BATMAN #608 is the top seller for October. I can't even remember the last time a regular-priced (I ain't counting 10-CENT) DC book hit #1. And with the heavy WIZARD coverage, this could really get people re-visiting DC.
    And, yes, I know I tend to diss on DC and praise Marvel, but that's because I've been with DC for six years, and in that time the quality of their comics has really dropped. BATMAN #608 could mean the rebirth of high-profile comics with great stories.

5) Even more Jim Lee? Based on everything I've read, I wouldn't be surprised if Lee did more work for DC. Projects like Superman and the JLA come to mind.

6) Glossy pages? Okay, so I already mentioned it, but it's SOOOOO important. The one thing that's held back DC's art, perhaps even as badly as crap inkers and colorists, is the lack of the glossy on the titles that deserve it. Most noteably, I hope DC keeps it in mind when the undeniably brilliant team of MC2, Cam Smith, and the Hardings hits in BATMAN/SUPERMAN.

7) DC beating out Marvel once again? Not so likely if DC doesn't get a move on with the movies, but still a possibility.

Keep in mind, it's pure speculation. I like to maintain the optimistic point of view that DC Comics, as a whole, is smarter than it seems. They just need to recognize a good thing when they've got it, and if they do that this time, AND act on it, I believe we'll have a lot to look forward to from DC Comics.

19. Cogliostro

Cogliostro Finish it...

All good points and thoughts but #7 I don't think will be happening all to soon if at all ;)

20. kid_flash

kid_flash Speedy Teen

Yeah, but it was worth throwing out. Because, after all, there was a time when DC was better than Marvel in the eyes of the fans (never translated to sales, but still). Besides, I still go for more Marvel every month.