1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I don't get it (no surprise). With all the online hype for this issue yesterday and the day before, I knew I wouldn't read anything in this issue (or arc) that lived up to this week's hype. What a surprise, nothing here impresses. So Batman and the Joker are now "dead"? OK, this "death" of Batman makes more sense and is more tolerable than his "death" in Morrison's run and Final Crisis, BUT.... we just did a "death" of Batman story. And since this is comic books, deaths mean nothing anymore since anyone who "dies" will come back to life. I wish real life worked that way. Batman survived because he's BATMAN (and because we clearly see him and Damian walking down the street). The Joker survived because he's the JOKER.

I obviously missed it, but what is Batman talking about when he wants the Joker to forgive Batman?

I just thumbed through my Divergence free comic book day comic. Sighed and rolled my eyes. I just hope this upcoming story (or upcoming status quo) is short lived.

I'm sure some of you might be thinking, "if you don't like Scott Snyder's Batman, or find it mediocre, why do you keep reading it?". Apparently this is the greatest Batman run in the history of Batman. That's why I continue to read it, even though I don't consider it the greatest, or one of the greatest. Maybe one day I'll finally get it, or see what is so brilliant about Scott Snyder's Batman. Ultimately thinking something is mediocre and not liking something are two different things. I don't hate it, so I continue to read it.

2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

How didja get a FCBD book already?

3. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Found an article about Snyder and Capullo talking about the FCBD developments and more. I'm very casual reader, like I've only read #1-11 so far and skimmed other issues real fast in shops, and hearing about this was really perplexing. I guess we had Azrael back when I was a child, Dick Grayson recently, now this? Meh. I do like once again someone is taking a stab at incorporating an element from Batman Beyond but this seems really strange. What I heard of what they revealed about the Joker, equally perplexed. I have to agree, just from my perspective, feels like Snyder jumped the shark, too. I guess I need to read more of the run to get it.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

If it ain't broken, you don't fix it, and yet, several times now in the last 22 years, DC has done just that with Batman. This is beyond storytelling.

Gordon as Batman is a cash-in on "Gotham" as it wraps its first season. The introduction of the Powers family (Batman Beyond) is an excuse to integrate "Batman Beyond" into the core DCU. Meh. Next year, they have to undo it, and hopefully, someone else will be writing the book.

5. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Gordon takes on the mantle ... so where is Bruce? The new DC Universe is here! Are you ready?

BATMAN #41

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI

The all-new Batman makes his debut! Who is he, and what happens next? Find out here as a new era begins in Gotham City!

Comments?

(This issue is awesome - do not miss it!)

6. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I could not ask for a better comic. That cliffhanger on the last page, with a possibly bearded chill Bruce Wayne, has me utterly intrigued. The idea that the new status quo is a cash-in on Gotham (besides being an already WTF-esque idea) couldn't be further from the truth here. This arc just makes sense as the natural progression of the story Snyder is telling and I like the reason why Gordon eventually took up the mantle. I am absolutely fascinated to see where this is going. The real "new" Batman costume also looks great. I was surprised at how young they said Gordon was in this issue, in his mid-forties, which I guguess makes sense since they de-aged him a little when the new 52 started. Still this issue was great and I can't wait to see where this goes. Batman's new direction and Superman's new direction have me really looking forward to these books. We all know it's temporary but I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride.

7. rggkjg1

Hmmm. I'm not particularly found of the current status quo with Batman or the Superman comics, but what I've read so far on both characters has been tolerable. I think my main question is this. Why is Batman a $3.99 book when it doesn't have a glossy heavier cover like the previous issues before it?

8. James Harvey

Gordon adjusts to life under the cowl. Also - the Batmboile!

BATMAN #42

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

More surprises around every corner as the all-new Batman hits the streets of Gotham City!

Comments?

9. Wonder Woman

Batman is pretty much everything I want out of a superhero comic. I love how different this arc has been for the comic yet completely in sync with what Snyder has been exploring. The artwork continues to be excellent and I'm really curious to see how this rolls out. I'm really curious as to the Bruce Wayne stuff as he doesn't seem to recognize Gordon in that last page...

10. James Harvey

DC Comics' best-selling title introduces an all-new villain!

BATMAN #43

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

In the start of a new epic, a new villain stalks Gotham City. Will Batman be able to uncover the mystery of Mr. Bloom?

Comments?

11. Wonder Woman

Something tells me Mr. Bloom has something to do withZero Year based on that last page reveal.

So Batman died but was resurrected by the Dionesium and in the process that rewired his brain. That's definitely interesting anfd fall in line with the usual far-flung crazy aspects of Snyder's run. That also means that the Joker likely survived too. But in the meantime Snyder has again created an interesting dilemma for Bruce Wayne. It does seem like they've established an out for this situation though with the discussion of that Batman cloning machine that first appeared in Detective Comics, but that seems like too easy of an out. That said, this was a great set-up issue for the rest of the arc, and Mr. Bloom definitely has my attention. Another great issue

12. rggkjg1

It's not even been a full calendar year yet, but in this short time we've seen Batman defeat a Jokerized Justice League (with the aid of Kryptonite gum), Batman sit on Metron's throne (and declare himself a god), and now he apparently has a cloning machine that will ensure there will always be a Batman? This BATMAN "thing" has seriously gotten (and been) out of control. I give up. Is there anything Batman CAN'T do? What is Batman going to do next? Walk on water ? Turn water into wine? And everyone complains Superman is "too powerful".

This cloning machine also feels like something the "jerk-ass" Batman of the early 2000s would do. Was Gordon using a legit lethal gun, or was it just a non lethal "Bat-gun"?

13. Wonder Woman

...so? How is whatever Batman did in a calendar year any different than what any other comic character does? Look at Spider-Man's last calendar year, or Superman. Or even the X-Men. They have all gone through a lot in the last few months, which is what comes with serial storytelling. I understand you don't like Snyder's run on Batman, and you seem to dislike the modern-day Batman since you spend most of the time just trashing him, but you seem to really be reaching. He has a clone machine? So what. He's a genius and a scientist, like Lex Luthor, who's also rich and has a clone machine. Batman is on Metron's throne? Big deal - any other JLer could've done the same thing, but Batman just happened to get on it first. The fact that he has great willpower and is in top physical form helps keep him on it. Big deal. Batman defeated the JL? So what ... this is the third or fourth time he's done it. He had the advantage, since they were under the Joker's influence and he used his strategic mind to overcome them. Again, big deal. This is kinda par for the course for Batman. Always has been. Seriously, his genius and tactical skills is a decades old character trait, but now that's he's DC's undeniably biggest character, now it seems to be a problem for some reason.

As for Gordon and the gun, it shot batarangs. It wasn't clear if the shots were fatal but they looked plenty painful.

14. rggkjg1

I don't hate the modern day Batman, I hate the Batman trumps all/reigns supreme mentality.I hate that Batman can defeat the Justice League, control Metron's throne, make a cloning machine (god knows what's coming next), yet the Joker can barely lure him into a jail cell and lock him in it (beginning of "Endgame"). I hate that Batman has a cloning machine so there always will be a Batman, despite having allies/sidekicks who's purpose is to take over Batman's mantle or continue the tradition of Batman long after Bruce can't do it (which in this case leads me to believe he has no faith in his allies if he has a clone machine - "jerk-ass" Batman). I hate that Batman is the world's greatest detective/the smartest man on the planet, yet somehow the Joker is able to survive "Death Of The Family" without Batman knowing, and fool Batman as Eric Border the Arkham Asylum orderly (and easily barely lure Batman into a cell and lock him in it).

There is nothing wrong with Batman's genius, will power, physical form, or tactical skills. I get he's supposed to have them. I get that because of them, he's able to overcome impossible odds. At what point will that not be enough for Batman? Using genius, will power, physical form or tactical skills twards the dilemmas he faced in the golden age or bronze age to win is one thing. Using genius, will power, physical form or tactical skills to defeat easily superior non mortal beings, or using them in easily superior impossible surroundings/environment and somehow coming out as the victor on a regular basis is completely different.

15. James Harvey

Learn the origin of Mr. Bloom in this special interlude issue!

BATMAN #44

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by JOCK

It’s the origin of new villain Mr. Bloom! In a tale from Bruce Wayne’s past, Batman must investigate a vicious crime in the shadowy area of Gotham City known as the Narrows. Don’t miss this special issue illustrated by superstar artist Jock

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

While this wasn't really the origin of Bloom, we only see him for a couple pages, this was still an amazing issue and maybe one of the best ones to date. Snyder and Azzarello tackle some pretty weighty stuff here and they pull it off superbly. It's an engaging read where Batman looks at his role in the world and the role be plays in fighting crime. It's a perfectly timed story too given what's been happening lately in the news. The artwork by Jock is also amazing but that's no surprise. I'd really recommend this issue especially since it doesn't require any knowledge of what's going on in the comics lately. Loved this issue.

17. James Harvey

Without Batman .... who is Bruce Wayne?

BATMAN ANNUAL #4

[​IMG]

Written by JAMES TYNION IV
    Art ROGE ANTONIO

Batman is gone…but Bruce Wayne is alive? What does that mean for Gotham City? And who is Bruce Wayne without Batman? This special annual delves deeper into the mystery building, and whether or not Bruce can ever really escape from the shadow of the Dark Knight.

Discuss this Comic!

18. Wonder Woman

A really interesting issue! It was interesting to see Mr. Freeze and Riddler treated like traditional foes here and I loved the use of Clayface here. Overall it was a neat exploration of Bruce Wayne which I think provides some pretty critical details in the character's current mindset. I am really enjoying this whole side of Bruce right now and I hope they get to explore it for some time to come. It's also interesting that the Manor has been officially returned to him and Arkham Asylum is basically no more and may actually be done for good.

19. James Harvey

Gordon faces off against the terrifying Mr. Bloom!

BATMAN #43

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

When Batman almost gets taken out by a new threat, Jim Gordon might have to reevaluate what it means to wear the cowl before it’s too late for Gotham City!

Comments?

20. Wonder Woman

The last couple pages with Bloom just laying waste to those people was just horrifying. Capullo is great at really bringing out the most frightening aspects of that character. I'm going to miss his work on this comic when he takes that sabbatical. He says its temporary and I'm really hoping it is. His artwork has made this comic soar.