1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman"

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

16.7%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Another theory that I have long been a subscriber to... The Joker is simply smarter than Batman. That is what makes him such a brilliant adversary. Add this to the fact that Batman, at his core, uses logic to defeat his opponents and The Joker works on a level above and beyond logic. Indeed, the best Batman/Joker stories are the ones in which Batman plays catch up to his rival.

As for the Superman fight, I enjoyed it. Using the anti-Superman suit was a wise idea, story wise. I actually thought Batman was spitting at The Joker's suggestion he beg rather than the Kryptonite gum. I did like the answer to who will win in a fight between them.

Another brilliant issue. While I'm not a massive fan of the new 52, it's use of The Joker so far has been exceptional.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

The Joker is playing a deadly game...

BATMAN #37

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI

The ultra top-secret Batman arc known only as “Endgame,” continues – it’s a story arc so steeped in mystery, all we can tell you is the title!

Comments?

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

"Hello Bruce"

Now that is how you do a cliffhanger. Another fantastic issue of the comic series. The issue was actually a bit frightening too considering just how insane everything is getting. The Joker is actually really terrifying here. Snyder is really shining as a writer. His work in Batman and his Image book Wytches has been top notch and for me easily some of the best stuff out there.

4. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Let's go back and compare Batman's and the Joker's intelligence. I stated my case last month in this thread. I stated my case in the who is smarter: Batman or Joker thread. As of now, the Joker has to be smarter. Not because apparently he time travels. Not because he might be immortal. Not because he most likely just photo shopped Gordon's files/pictures. Because HE knows who Batman is. Does that bare any relevance? No, because it's been hypothesized for years that Joker has known who Batman is, but BATMAN is the Joker's enemy, NOT Bruce Wayne. Here's how the Joker knowing who Batman is becomes relevant. It's an assumed fact that the identity and origins of the Joker is unknown. He's not Jack Napier, he might not have ever been the Redhood, he might not have ever been Alan Moore's The Killing Joke pre-Joker pre-Redhood, etc. Since the origins and identity of the Joker are a complete mystery, I can only assume Batman himself doesn't even know the identity of the Joker (while at this point it might not even matter, because the Joker might as well be the real identity/persona). The point is, the Joker knows who Batman is. Batman doesn't know who the Joker is/was. So what I'd like to know is how "The World's Greatest Detective" has no idea who his greatest arch nemesis is/was. The Joker is smarter than Batman. The ONLY way to settle it and make me think otherwise, is, you guessed it. SURF CONTEST between Batman and the Joker.

Surprisingly, despite the absurdity/impracticality of the situation (not in a Grant Morrison nonsense sense), I've gotten more out of the first two issues of this arc than I did out of every issue of "Zero Year". So, there's that at least.

5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There was that scene at the end of Death in The Family where Batman whispered something in Joker's ear and it drove him off a cliff. I presume that was Joker's real identity, whoever the original Red Hood One was, and that Batman eventually figured it out.

Heck, one of the things that drove the Bat-Family apart in DOTF was that apparently there was a fight between Joker and Batman that ended with a situation where Joker plausibly could've gotten into the Batcave and figure out their identities. Then Bruce went into Joker's cell to check for himself, but realized Joker probably didn't care because he was too obsessed with Batman. Obviously, that's not the case now :sweat:.

6. James Harvey

Joker? Harley Quinn! Check out this "Endgame" tie-in!

BATMAN ANNUAL #3

[​IMG]

Written by: James T Tynion IV
    Art by: Roge Antonio

Don’t miss this top-secret tale that ties in to the “Endgame” storyline running now in BATMAN – sorry, but that’s all we can tell you! Trust us – it’s going to be big!

Comments?

7. Wonder Woman

I was really surprised by this story. I wasn't sure what to expect with an Endgame tie-in but what we get here is really neat. It's incredibly creepy and really well done. It kind of reminds me of the "Joker's Favor" episode of Batman: TAS where Joker stalks this one person. Here he stalks his "friend" and pretty much drives him to madness. What I like is how this story sort of lines out how the Joker has been over the last few years and gives us an idea of him and just how nuts he is. it was a really really unexpected story but a great surprise. I like this look at the Joker. Definitely an unexpected take on him.

8. James Harvey

The Joker continues his reign of terror!

BATMAN #38

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

"Endgame" part 4. The Joker is back! This time, no more funny stuff. And in the backup story, five Arkham Asylum escapees share their encounters with The Joker!

Comments?

9. rggkjg1

10. Wonder Woman

I can see this being really divisive but I am loving the heck out of this. I love how Snyder is going for broke here. I get the impression there will be some big changes and things will be quite different after Convergence so Snyder is just going for it. I wonder if any of this will remain in continuity after Convergence. I really like how despite all the evidence there's still a chance this could be an elaborate ruse on Joker's part. Sure it's absolutely nuts but it's just crazy enough to be in the realm of possibility. I was convinced this was a dream but Snyder says otherwise so this book definitely had my attention. Snyder is doing a fantastic job here and I am really interested to see how this all wraps up in the next couple of issues. Easily some of the best Batman stuff out there! Really gutsy stuff.

11. James Harvey

Drawing closer to the fateful finale...

BATMAN #39

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

"Endgame" part 5. The Joker is back! The penultimate issue of the Clown Prince of Crime's horrifying return! Plus, in the backup story, the inmates and Mahreen finally learn the truth about The Joker!

Comments?

12. Wonder Woman

Fantastic! While Joker cutting off Alfred's hand seems a little unnecessary and excessive this was a great issue. It also looks like we know why the Joker is pretty unkillable, he has the same chemical in him as the Talons do. That's a neat twist that really ties Snyder's run together so far. It actually explains a lot about the Joker and is a neat out. I'm really curious to see how this will all play out in the finale next month. With Snyder promising some big changes when the book comes back after Convergence I am on the edge of my seat here. It feels like Snyder's run has legitimately been building to this since the first arc and I'm eager to see it pay off. Capullo is of course great on the art. His attention to detail and energetic style really adds to the "everything but the kitchen sink" approach Snyder is going for here.

13. rggkjg1

I thought the Joker chopping Alfred's hand off was excessive, BUT with Convergence coming up, I'm sure there will be retcons (which would include that and anything else that has and will happen). My question is, how did Alfred more or less miss directly hitting the Joker with a shot gun? Ok, supposedly the whole point of this story is that the Joker is somehow "immortal" or can be "resurrected". So maybe that's why that didn't work. But I'm not buying into that. I'm behind the no killing rule if Alfred intentionally didn't kill him to honor that rule, BUT.... Alfred has military history, which if he killed him, would make it justifiable. At least for me.

14. Wonder Woman

15. James Harvey

DC Comics will be releasing a series of "Endgame" tie-ins all month, starting with Detective Comics: Endgame, hitting shelves nearly every week this month!

[​IMG]

ARKHAM MANOR: ENDGAME #1
    Written by FRANK TIERI
    Art by FELIX RUIZ

What do Batman’s villains do on the craziest night in Gotham City? And who will survive when the madness of Arkham Manor spills into the streets? Each special issue deals with the fallout and ongoing chaos of The Joker's latest attack on Gotham City! Be sure to check them out!

BATGIRL: ENDGAME #1
    Written by CAMERON STEWART and BRENDEN FLETCHER
    Art by BENGAL

There’s a mob of Jokerized madmen in Gotham City, and they’re determined to spread the virus into the world beyond… but they’re gonna have to get past Batgirl first! There are no words that can describe “The Battle For The Burnside Bridge”– you’ve got to see it to believe it!

DETECTIVE COMICS: ENDGAME #1
    Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO
    Art by ROGE ANTONIA

The city is overrun by Jokerized victims, but a small band of teenagers unites to take a stand. Their secret knowledge of Gotham City’s streets helps them survive, but will Batman take help from this young group of upstarts? And what could it mean for the future of the young heroes in Gotham City?

GOTHAM ACADEMY: ENDGAME #1
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and BRENDEN FLETCHER
    Art by KARL KERSCHL and others

Gotham City has been overrun by craziness, and the power is out at Gotham Academy! But don’t worry. The kids are safely locked up, huddled around candles and flashlights and telling the Gotham City version of ghost stories: Joker stories! Meanwhile, a mysterious figure connected to the Academy’s past is patrolling the grounds with a crossbow, but who is it?

Comments?

16. Wonder Woman

Is it true that Batman #40 is delayed until the end of April? I don't want to wait that long for the conclusion of "Endgame." With the reveal of the "all-new" Batman I'm really curious to see how this arc is going to end! I guess we have the "Endgame"-oneshots to hold us over but this week's wasn't that great. It wasn't an essential read at all which has me wondering what the rest of them will be like.

17. rggkjg1

I was just coming here to inquire about that issue myself (I think it was supposed to be released this week). My comixology pull list (for physical comics) says issue 40 will be out April 29th.

Bad timing since it's April Fool's Day, but here's the listing with the new release date:
    https://pulllist.comixology.com/sku/JAN150306/Batman-2011-40-endgame-

18. James Harvey

Big things happen. Do not miss this issue! Change begins here..

BATMAN #40

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

The finale of "Endgame" is here! Batman risks everything against The Joker! Who will laugh last?

Comments?

19. Wonder Woman

A nearly perfect issue. Absolutely fantastic. If this was Snyder's last issue this would be the perfect way to wrap up his run and it would stand beside some of the greats. The story was just riveting - a real page turner. When the action shifted to just Batman and The Joker down in the caves it was visceral and intense. And while they do leave some wiggle room for both characters to survive there is also enough to put a period on it for the time being. That fight between Joker and Batman was downright brutal, and that smiley face on Batman's back was a great touch by the artist.

I do think that Batman survived. There's a panel in the last couple pages of a man and a young boy, where the young boy has a Robin jacket on and the older man is on crutches, that could be Batman and Robin. It's vague enough to go either way. And the final touch with Batman's note saying "Ha" was a great touch. What a story this has been and what a finale. I'm really excited to see how issue #41 will go. Such a great comic!

20. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Snyder, IMPO, has jumped the shark.