"Batman (2011 Ongoing)" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by James Harvey, Sep 21, 2011.

?

Rate and Comment - "Batman"

1. *****

40.0%
  2. ****1/2

40.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Batman descends upon the new DC Universe!

BATMAN #1

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION

Be here for the start of a new era for The Dark Knight from writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo! A series of brutal killings hints at an ancient conspiracy, and Batman learns that Gotham City is deadlier than he knew.

Comments?

2. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

Great writing and art! Definitely sticking with this series! Can't wait for the next issue!

3. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Now that's more like it! After the slightly-dull Detective Comics and the OOC rubbish of Batman And Robin, this is the Bat-Book to pic up. Some darn great art, the return of Vicki Vale, Bruce Wayne's nifty future plans, grim murders and a much better cliffhanger than Detective. And best of all, it's more than 20 pages long!

Granted, the de-aging of Bruce's three sons and the timeframe debate (Detective: before or after?) may take some time to get used to, but it's probably the best I've seen of the New 52 so far.

Now we just have to see what Dark Knight #1 will be like...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2011
  4. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Amazing!

I haven't been ranking the new 52 in my head or anything, but...geez, if I were, Batman #1 would rank very, very close to the top. Definitely my favorite of the more traditional superhero books from the DCnU.

5. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

This was probably the most newer reader friendly book of the new 52. Not to mention it was great.

6. Simpler Simon

Simpler Simon Always in Style

Fantastic. I was disappointed when I heard Jock wasn't returning with Snyder, but I'm really liking Greg Capullo's art (especially the opening splash of all the inmates, with nods to costumes from various continuities and a few redesigns to boot). The opening with Joker fighting alongside Batman is a great hook to draw readers in, and by the time you figure out what's really going on, you're introduced to so many intriguing pieces of the bat-universe and given the setup for what the initial story arc might be. Here's hoping Snyder has a long run on the title.

7. Manga4life

Manga4life DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!

Batman #1 was VERY enjoyable, I'd rank it as my 2nd favorite of the new Batman titles right behind Detective Comics #1, going into the book I really didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. Awesome plot, good art, great atmosphere, and likable characters that are familiar but yet feel brand new helped me to dive right in to this book and have a blast.

To me, this was written in a way (much like all the New 52 books) that if your a fan of older DC you can dive right in and connect the continuity, or if your new to DC you can jump right in and assume that this is a brand new history thats playing off of an unseen past. It's really cool. I'm looking forward for issue #2 later on this month, count me in as staying on this book as long as the quality remains as good as the first issue's was.

8. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I really likes Snyder's Detective run, so I went in with high expectations and I wasn't let down. First of all, I figured that the Joker teamed up with Batman because he wanted to be the one to kill him and then I thought Bruce was having hallucinations of the Joker. What actually happened was cool, it's always nice to see Dick and Bruce working together. And speaking of Dick, I know he's obviously not the killer, but I'm willing to bet that his family has some shady history of which will soon be revealed to us.

The art was good too. Nice to see Professor Pyg and James Jr., two Batman villains that actually tangled with Dick and not Bruce. Oh and I love how Damian is still mocking Tim Drake. I hope we see more of those two somewhere down the line.

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Here's a new interview with Scott Snyder, about his current run on Batman.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/119/1198527p1.html

I can tell just by the first issue, and from what I've heard and seen of where this title is headed, that "The Court of Owls" storyline is going to be one of the best Batman stories in the history of the character. Besides the fantastic writing and artwork, there's just something about the concept and the whole new spin on Owlman and this secret society that I find appealing to the world of Batman and Gotham City. I predict this to turn out to be one of the most definitive and iconic Batman stories that fans will always appreciate.

10. suss2it

suss2it New Member

11. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I'm getting the very same vibe. Especially since Snyder's recently concluded run in Detective Comics has been getting a lot of critical acclaim. And rightfully so, since it I think it was one of the best stories I've read from 2011, so far.

12. Bat-Fan Beyond

Ohhhhh! Fantastic!

This new Owlman is going to be a great adversary for The Batman. Love it!

BTW, does anyone else think that Lincoln March is the Owlman? Or do you think he seems to obvious and that Snyder is just introducing him as red herring? He does resemble Bruce Wayne quite a bit, only taller.

13. Bat-Fan Beyond

Greg Capullo just posted this on his facebook page. With only one issue, the man has become one of my favorite Batman artists ever. His style is somewhat "cartoony," but he has just the right amount of "dark and gritty" added that makes it work great for Batman.

[​IMG]

14. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

I bought the first issue of this today, and I liked it. I was worried about trying a Batman title post-relaunch because of how much of his continuity is still in place, but I'm aware of enough of it that I doubt it will pose a problem. Even with that said, I don't think you need to be that aware of Bat's continuity to get into this. I don't have to much to say about this one, I liked Action Comics more, but I'm interested in where this goes a little bit more. The recent interviews with the writer where he compares the story his building to long form Batman tales like The Long Halloween (One of the few Batman comics I've read) has me very excited about this series.

15. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Here's the #3 variant by Ivan Reis.

[​IMG]

This book seems to be getting a lot of variants, so I'm glad that DC includes them all in their digital releases, unlike Marvel.

16. Bat-Fan Beyond

It looks like DC's Top 5 titles (Batman, Justice League, Action Comics, Green Lantern, and The Flash) will each be getting variants by a different artist for at least the first five or six issues.

17. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Bruce Wayne's adventures as Batman in the new DC Universe!

BATMAN #2

[​IMG]

Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION

Bruce Wayne is back in the cowl, hunting a new and deadly killer in Gotham City – a killer with a vendetta against Bruce Wayne! But who is this mysterious killer in an owl skull mask? And is he the key to unlocking one of Gotham’s oldest and most terrifying secrets? Be there for their first brutal encounter!

Comments?

18. Bat-Fan Beyond

Sorry, but what else can I say other than to repeat what I said about Justice League #2 here...

Great issue! I liked the first one, but this issue was even better. Awesome art and story!

And here's a new interview with Scott Snyder. This guy is the next big thing as a writer. And I love what he says here about where this story is going. This could be one of the best Batman stories ever!

Newsarama | SCOTT SNYDER Talks Batman @ NYCC 2011

19. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

Well, I usually wait 'til the very end of a story before deciding if it's one of the best, but Snyder's writing keeps this book highly entertaining. I was worried that Lincoln March might be a Hush retread, but not so far. Fantastic art as well.

20. suss2it

suss2it New Member

I think you're right, I didn't even realize that Flash #1 had a variant, until you pointed it out. It seems Reis is doing a bulk of these variants.

I was getting a Hush vibe from him as well, but even if March does turn out to be a villain, I think he's a more tragic villain than Hush was, who to me came across as a petty child until Dini got a hold of him. But regarding March I don't think he'll turn out to be a villain, I think the Court of Owls has sponsored him in order to gain a new member, and he probably discovered their sinister motives and decided to turn against them or something.

As for the rest of the issue, I agree with Bat-Fan Beyond, this was a step up from #1, which was already awesome to begin with. The interactions between Batman and Nightwing were spot on, Batman's arrogance regarding Gotham was great, and will no doubt play into his (temporary) downfall, and the art is really strong. Can't wait to see how deep in Gotham's history this story goes, especially since Gates of Gotham already laid out the foundation.