1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman" (1989) Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jul 11, 2002.

?

Rate "Batman"

1. *****

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. ****1/2

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. ****

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. ***1/2

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. ***

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. **1/2

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. *1/2

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. 1/2

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Thanks for relocating this part of the discussion, YJ --- you're right, it does really belong here, because it had become more about '89 Batman.

I think you're EXACTLY right about Burton -- that's what DB and I were disagreeing about in the other thread. To me, it's evident that Burton purposely sought to return his version of Batman to Kane's short-lived earliest Batman, who did kill with disquieting ease.

I can see what you're saying about them making it a little less explicit that Batman is out-and-out executing the Joker; but I still say I don't see any evidence in that scene that Batman has a change of heart about his desire and explicitly-stated aim to kill Joker.

You know, I still can't remember that scene. But then, it's been a looooong time since I watched Batman Returns. But yeah, that sure sounds like yet another example of Burton's Batman abandoning the Batman character's most defining moral imperative and having no compunctions whatsoever about deliberately, directly killing.

2. Young Justice

Young Justice Silent Master Apprentice

I didn't see him changing his heart either. But I didn't see he properly killing Joker either. I saw him trapping Joker's foot, preventing him to escape. This was an inconsistency of the movie.

3. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Batman (1989) hit the big-screen twenty years ago today, so there's no better time than now to revisit this modern-day classic. Whether you're a fan of the film or not, you can't argue the impact this film has had since it's debut in June 23rd, 1989. So, twenty years later, what are your thoughts on Batman?

[​IMG]

Batman
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Tim Burton
    Starring: Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger
    Release Date: June 23rd, 1989

Synopsis: Released in theaters in the summer of 1989, "Batman" featured the return of the Dark Knight to the silver screen for the first time since the television series from the 1960s and the feature film with the show's characters. Jack Nicholson starred as The Joker, Batman's most well-known villain, and Michael Keaton starred as Batman/Bruce Wayne for director Tim Burton. Kim Basinger played photojournalist Vickie Vale with Robert Wuhl as reporter Alexander Knox. Veteran actors Pat Hingle and Michael Gough joined the cast in their first outings as Commissioner Gordon and Alfred respectively. In his only Batman appearance, Billy Dee Williams portrayed District Attorney Harvey Dent.

Talk about Batman here!

Related Threads:
    -The Key Role of the Live-Action Batman Franchise in DC Animation
    -Twenty Years of Batman on the Big-Screen - Favorite Moments?
    -Batman (1989) Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Returns Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Forever Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman & Robin Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman (1989): 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -Batman Begins DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)
    -The Dark Knight DVD/Blu-ray Talkback (Spoilers)

4. Batman

Batman Guest

Such a great movie! Even though watching it now does not have the same effect as when I saw it as a kid in the theater it's still such a great movie! This is a movie that means alot to me and I'm glad that it means alot to others too!

5. Hobbes829

Hobbes829 The Bad Guy

every movie has it's flaws. however, this movie has a great timeless feel to it. Plus, as a side effect we got the great animated series from that.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow! I can't believe this movie is twenty years old already. That just seems . . . shocking. (I was between 4th and 5th grade! :eek: I feel old now. LOL!)

Still my favorite Batman movie. I think I'll watch it this evening to celebrate the anniversary. :)

7. creativerealms

creativerealms Active Member

Of course it does not, twenty years ago i was seven. To a Seven year old that was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Now i'm twenty seven and it's still a great movie but it's no longer the epic masterpiece my seven year old mind remembered.

8. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

This movie has got to be the leader of all the things I've double dipped. I had the tape, then the barebones, the sp.ed. anthology, and now the blu-ray.

This one is one of my earliest moments. I used to be afraid to watch it when I was really little. It wasn't the actual movie that freaked me out, though. It was the WB logo at the beginning of the tape and the noise it made. :sweat:

9. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I remember when this movie came out I went to see it and loved it. I got the VHS tape of it the first day it came out when it was released and actually still have it.

10. Palin Dromos

Palin Dromos The Abyss Stares Back

Just re-watched this (needed a distraction from the shock of Micheal Jackson's passing).
    I find it interesting that the 2 most vivid memories from when I first saw the film in the theater are the opening credits; the camera crawling through the symbol, and the end push in on the Joker lying on (in) the sidewalk and the creepy postmortem laughter.
    I think these stick out to me because at the time they were such WTF moments. Before the symbol resolves itself at the start I had NO clue what we were looking at and on a full size movie screen the whole sequence kind of envelopes the theater. (DVD can't quite replicate that experience...or at least my 25-inch TV can't.)
    And the laughter at the end was so convincing the first time I heard it that I was sure that somehow the Joker had survived.

I think those are a couple of examples of how revolutionary the film was at the time, in the way it played with expectations. Plus it's still a lot of fun 20 year later.

11. LightSpeedBlast

Part of the best movies ever, this movie is what The BatMan Films should be like.

12. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I didn't realize I'd missed out on part of the Burton Batman discussion that we were having oh so many months ago.

Interesting that Batman might have thrown Joker from the tower. Thinking about it, picturing it...I think I like it, and wish they'd filmed it both ways. The grappling hook demise really stank of "Okay folks...so we know we just spent a whole movie trying to scare you with both these characters, but DON'T WORRY Mommies and Daddies - see? Nobody's going to REALLY kill anybody. It's the hook! Silly mishap! Always remember to tie your shoelaces and look both ways before crossing the street!" Like Roy Disney came on-screen to smile at all the kids and reassure them.

I think I still would have liked this Batman, if he'd done that. I might have especially loved this Batman if, immediately afterwards, when the music got romantic and quiet and Vikki rushed up to hug him - he'd thrown her off the top too, and then we just cut to music.

I forgive a lot with these first two Batman movies, and it's not because of nostalgia weakening my need for respectful characterizations. There's something really deeply compelling here with these movies. You miss them, you watch them again, you feel the sparks flying around behind every shot, like the generator that inexplicably began twitching when Selina's nerve was tested by Bruce's final offer in BR. It's something else.

I find it interesting that the 2 most vivid memories from when I first saw the film in the theater are the opening credits; the camera crawling through the symbol...Before the symbol resolves itself at the start I had NO clue what we were looking at and on a full size movie screen the whole sequence kind of envelopes the theater.

Wish I could remember seeing that. I don't. Maybe I didn't, but yes, that opening is crazy good.

and the end push in on the Joker lying on (in) the sidewalk and the creepy postmortem laughter....And the laughter at the end was so convincing the first time I heard it that I was sure that somehow the Joker had survived.

I probably was also momentarily fooled, but the shot is so long it only takes maybe seven seconds to really get that it's a laugh track on a loop. What really gets me is Nicholson's face. He looked dead and creepy, like someone who wasn't treated right by an undertaker. His neck is puffy or something.

I think those are a couple of examples of how revolutionary the film was at the time, in the way it played with expectations. Plus it's still a lot of fun 20 year later.

There were glimmers there, between what Burton's mind was bringing in (a hero that's probably a lot darker than we're being allowed to see, music and makeup that really gets under your skin, and visual playfulness that pays off in a big way) and what DC/WB was demanding. An interesting film...one I really enjoy, but ultimately...BR wins, for me. Not that it's a contest.

13. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

Wow--that's quite a shift in your position since the last time we discussed this film, DB. But I think it's probably a wise shift indeed, because I don't think you can really grasp what Burton was trying to do with this film and with the Batman character if you don't come to grips with something Burton actually took some considerable pains to make crystal clear in the movie: that his Batman is indeed a killer (although you're probably right that Burton was somewhat hampered in making that as overt as he would've preferred by the powers that be at Warner). Now let me hasten to say, that statement is not intended as some kind of "shot" at Burton--because in fact he was deliberately hearkening back to very real roots of the character in that regard, namely back to Kane's original '39 Batman (who actually dispatched foes to "the big sleep" rather coolly and casually). ...Of course, one might take issue with whether or not that's the best there is to mine out of the Batman character; but that's another discussion altogether. The point is, you can't really appreciate Burton's film if you're not willing to accept the terms on which he presents it--including the fact that his Batman is really pretty comfortable with killing as part of what he does.

14. DisneyBoy

You're right Bony...I guess my statements there do seem like a bit of a flip from our older chats. But in picturing him killing the Joker...it just seemed to work. I mean, his life was ruined by him, and he really has no reason to hold back. It's not like Vikki is some glowing light of redemption. If anything, him liking her seemed to complicate everything, to the point where he seems nowhere remotely like himself at her front door with flowers and glasses. He's really more like the Bruce he could have maybe been if things hadn't gone so wrong years and years earlier.

Now let me hasten to say, that statement is not intended as some kind of "shot" at Burton--because in fact he was deliberately hearkening back to very real roots of the character in that regard, namely back to Kane's original '39 Batman (who actually dispatched foes to "the big sleep" rather coolly and casually). ...Of course, one might take issue with whether or not that's the best there is to mine out of the Batman character; but that's another discussion altogether. The point is, you can't really appreciate Burton's film if you're not willing to accept the terms on which he presents it--including the fact that his Batman is really pretty comfortable with killing as part of what he does.

I think now I see that you're not slighting Burton for the killer portrayal (pun intended). I guess I can't help but feel a little defensive. I mean, it's not like I endorse killers - I don't. And Batman, in my eyes, shouldn't be a killer. But this is a Burton movie, and the really frustrating part about it is that there were other cooks in the kitchen sanitizing his efforts. The darkness that permeated Batman Returns was held back a little more here. Returns is my favorite of the two because Burton could go there. Not that I'm referring to the infamous Batman dynamite shot (though you have to kinda love that smirk, don't you?).

*long sigh* Drat. I'm conflicted. I get myself, but I don't. Don't I want Batman to be some creature of virtue, at his heart? Maybe not in these movies. The animated series did that so well...I can handle Batman here being a little darker. It's really all about perception, and if you rob Batman of the possibility of being as sinister as he appears...in all his various incarnations...then you really just have cuddly teddy bear in pointy ears don't you?

So run in fear, kiddies. This is a Bat who you can't predict.

15. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

You know, considering the Art Deco styling and black costume, I think it's safe to say that this is the pre-Comics Code Batman, so there's really no problem with him killing, if you think about it.

I prefer the Nolan movies, myself, but I still think Burton's films were groundbreaking. Both in terms of its impact on superhero movies (even if its influence was thwarted by the studio's insistence on making things campier and more marketable), and for what it did for the aesthetics of the Batman mythos itself. I didn't realize he never had a grapple-gun before this film.

16. BonyT

BonyT Sisyphus in Hell

I agree ENTIRELY--that's one thing I've always said about this film: Having Joker be the Waynes' murderer made it absolutely inevitable that Batman would kill him at the end of the film. The prospect of an ongoing lifelong cycle of simply capturing the Joker and awaiting his inevitable escape so that it would all unfold again and again would be...unthinkable--utterly untenable under the circumstances and in the world Burton created. There's literally no other way the movie could possibly end but with Joker's corpse on the sidewalk.

Oh I know that--have all along; and I hope nothing I've said in our various conversations about the movie(s) implied otherwise.

Well, the first thing that has to be understood is that Burton was indeed doing something different with Batman; and as you've intimated, maybe his Batman has to be considered on its own--perhaps even entirely apart from what has come to most define the character, broadly speaking, over time--in order to be truly appreciated.

17. DisneyBoy

I agree ENTIRELY--that's one thing I've always said about this film: Having Joker be the Waynes' murderer made it absolutely inevitable that Batman would kill him at the end of the film. The prospect of an ongoing lifelong cycle of simply capturing the Joker and awaiting his inevitable escape so that it would all unfold again and again would be...unthinkable--utterly untenable under the circumstances and in the world Burton created. There's literally no other way the movie could possibly end but with Joker's corpse on the sidewalk.

And Batman killing Joker (and consequently losing Vikki, who would not be entering the limo at the film's end, but still winning the love of the city) would certainly put a whole new spin on that grim scowl on Bruce's face as he sits alone in the dark at the start of BR, wouldn't it?

Oh I know that--have all along; and I hope nothing I've said in our various conversations about the movie(s) implied otherwise.

Bony, I'm sure you weren't implying anything. I just wasn't understanding where I was coming from emotionally at the time. There was something in what I was saying that was contradictory, and you saw that...I just wasn't understanding it. So, I tip my hat to you sir for being so observant and wise, LOL. I don't want Batman to be a killer, but in this movie, I could see it fitting, and me still liking him. As Oprah would say, I've had an "aha!" moment.

maybe his Batman has to be considered on its own--perhaps even entirely apart from what has come to most define the character, broadly speaking, over time--in order to be truly appreciated.

Very nicely put. And it's true. I mean, I have no love or interest in The Dark Knight Returns...but without it, would we have had this Burton flick, or the animated series being able to paint the hero with the shades of black that make him most interesting? Perhaps not.

Similarly, would Wonder Woman still be viewed as a loveable, caring, fun role model without Lynda Carter's 70s romps? Probably not. As it is, it seems todays writers are rebelling against that image still by perpetually playing up her warrior side (JL, NF, Simone's book). Carter may not have been the best Wonder Woman, but an important version of the character that doesn't really have to play by the rules of the other interpretations to be beloved.

What an enlightening conversation this is! Only took us a couple of months to finish it :p

I didn't realize he never had a grapple-gun before this film.

...! Neither did I. Was this really the first use of the grappling gun? What a big debut it got, with the close-up on Joker before firing to opposite ends of the room.

Say...while we're talking about Batman wanting to kill Joker....oh wait. Mentally answered my own question. I was going to ask why he wouldn't just shoot Jack in the face right there in the museum, but obviously, he didn't realize Joker had killed his parents at the time.

18. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Celebrate the 25th anniversary of the iconic film Batman. Whether you're a fan of the film or not, you can't argue the impact this film has had since it's debut on June 23rd, 1989.

[​IMG]

Batman
    Studio: Warner Bros. Pictures
    Director: Tim Burton
    Starring: Jack Nicholson, Michael Keaton, Kim Basinger
    Release Date: June 23rd, 1989

Synopsis: Released in theaters in the summer of 1989, Batman featured the return of the Dark Knight to the silver screen for the first time since the television series from the 1960s and the feature film with the show's characters. Jack Nicholson starred as The Joker, Batman's most well-known villain, and Michael Keaton starred as Batman/Bruce Wayne for director Tim Burton. Kim Basinger played photojournalist Vickie Vale with Robert Wuhl as reporter Alexander Knox. Veteran actors Pat Hingle and Michael Gough joined the cast in their first outings as Commissioner Gordon and Alfred respectively. In his only Batman appearance, Billy Dee Williams portrayed District Attorney Harvey Dent.

So, what are your thoughts on Batman?