1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Batman" (1989) Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jul 11, 2002.

?

Rate "Batman"

1. *****

41 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. ****1/2

22 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. ****

26 vote(s)
    22.0%
  4. ***1/2

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. ***

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  6. **1/2

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. **

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  8. *1/2

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  9. *

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. 1/2

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager Active Member

Yes, but the film is PG-13/TV-14.

2. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

All right, so while most Toonami programming is rated TV-Y7, and thus suitable for just about anyone, we finally get something on Toonami rated TV-14V, thus aimed at the oldest of the demographic. Nothing wrong with that now, eh?

3. Mr. Manager

Nothing is wrong with them airing TV-14 programming. I just thought that airing toy ads during TV-14 stuff is somewhat funny. Not haha funny, but weird funny.

4. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Remember what William said.

While your recent line of discussion is not animated vs. live action. Talk of Toonami ratings does little to enhance the discussion of the movie.

You fine folks are here on The Entertainment Board to discuss the movie itself. If you have no intention of doing so then you aren't contributing to the thread or the board. Thank you.

5. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

Did Cartoon Network have this problem?

#125 Rolling Cloud, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2008
  6. G1Ravage

G1Ravage Active Member

Sorry...but it's mirrored to the Toonami forum, and I access it from the Toonami forum, so it confuses me. :crying:

7. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Yes and as I mention'd earlier, the 70mm print I saw as part of Rerun Thursday at the Broadway Metro didn't have the lint bit in there either.

8. Desifoxy

Desifoxy Member

Its the best movie in the series...Just not the best one ever.

9. email2003

email2003 *Classically Trained*

On the special edition DVD, they explain about how the writer didn't want Jack to be the killer. It was Burton's idea to make Jack the killer in the movie so that it could have a purpose for Batman and for the movie itself.

10. ClockStomper

ClockStomper One who loves naked Kagome

Burton's original idea was that the Joker was actually a serial killer persona (just a guy in clown make-up, no chemicals involved).

The original scene of the Waynes dying would have been a Ice Cream truck driving up and the Joker blasting them to death with a Tommy gun.

DC nixed the idea, saying it was too much of a departure from the comic origin (not to mention, stupid.)

There are other threads detailing Burton's proposed changes, including a perplexing take on Robin's origin, featuring two minute cameos by Two-Face, Catwoman and Penguin.

11. Mr. Manager

I apoligize for doing that.

12. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

ClockStomper, would you mind linking me up to where-ever Burton's other ideas for the initial film were discussed?

13. MR.MXYZPTLK

MR.MXYZPTLK Mild Mannered Reporter

The other night me and a couple of freinds were talking about batman begins my friends are convinced it is the greatest batman movie ever. Now I know most people here love that film but its not for me I said to them "what about mask of the phantasm or tim burtons great films!?" they didn't say anyhting just stared at me "you have seen those films right" I asked "No" they replied " just batman forever".

I consider Tim burtons batman to be the greatest adaption to date. Though I do not like it as much as the sequel but I still consider it a great movie. Jack nicholson is great as the Joker though a little to old. The fight scenes were very enjoyable especially the ones with the batmobile I loved seeing all the diffrent kind of gadgets Bruce packed in there. There are a few complaints I would of liked the beggining to focus on the origin of batman and I found the end a little dissapointing.

14. dc_gothamite

dc_gothamite dead is dead

Wicked movie, IMO... there's a reason why i quote this movie in my signature.

Jack Nicholson totally owned this movie with his portrayal of the Joker. Seriously, I always thought this movie shoulda been called "Joker."

Batman himself was pretty cool... He got owned pretty easily by some of the thugs, but it was all right... It always irked me how stiff Batman looked... whenever I watched him fight, you knew he would win just for the sake of him being the good guy... but it didn't matter... seein' Batman just kick the guy in face after wailing those swords around was just bad-ass.

There are many reasons why I prefer Begins to this, but I don't even wanna go into it... such a topic has been done to death, and it doesn't matter... both films established the darkness of the character, whether it be from a mythical point of view (Burton), or from a psychological point of view (Nolan)... I love this movie to death... "You wanna get nuts?! C'mon! Let's get nuts!"

And I don't care what any of you say... I liked Prince. :D

Classic, all the way. Now I just wanna end off by listing my fave quotes from the movie (man, I'm glad this thread got bumped up).

Thug: "Don't kill me man! Don't kill me! Don't kill me, man!"
    Batman: "I'm not gonna kill you. I want you to do me a favour. I want you to tell all your friends about me."
    Thug: "What are you?"
    Batman: "I'm Batman."

Knox: "Lieutenant, is there a six-foot bat in Gotham City? And if so, is he on the police pay roll? And if so, how much does he pull in... after taxes?"

and of course...

Joker: "HE STOLE MY BALLOONS! WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME HE HAD ONE OF THOSE...THINGS?!"

15. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

My favourite line is one my sister is FED UP with me using (and of course I always reference it's origin - nothing worse than stealing a quote and pretending it's yours..)

"The rich. You know why they're so odd. Because they can afford to be!"

I love that. :p

16. dc_gothamite

dc_gothamite dead is dead

hahaha that's good stuff... I almost forgot about that one. Knox and Vale are looking at the giant mirror...

"Look at this mirror... maybe he should be Bruce Vain." :D

17. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Great movie.This will forever remain a classic.This,Batman Begins and batman:Mask of the Phantasm are the best batman movies there are.I liked "mask of the phantasm" the most but this movie really helped to influence it.The 40s feel,the mafia,tommy guns,gargoyles,gothic architecture,retro phones,classic cars,corruption and revenge are among many things in this movie to make it look great.Thank you Tim burton.

18. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Best Batman movie ever. I love it. It'll never be topped.

This and BATMAN RETURNS are the only (live-action) Batman movies I'll ever own on DVD.

19. Cortez2301

Cortez2301 Active Member

Batman begins wasn't one of your favourites was it?

20. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

No, it wasn't. I was not a fan of BATMAN BEGINS at all.

I only like the first two. And, I admit, I can still enjoy BATMAN FOREVER somewhat, but not enough to buy it.