1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

BANG #10 Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

BANG #10 | Bang: The Entertainment Paper

After some annoying delays, the tenth issue is finally out. This time we have some returning artists and the Our Valued Customers guy made our cover. Get a copy and let me know what you think.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Scattered thoughts regarding the latest Mulberry:

So, will the Comcast thing have a resolution in a future issue?
    I assume Corinne Bohrer's billing on the Age of Ultron ad means that she plays Scarlet Witch in the Platypus Comix world, but since she seems too old, I can't think of much to say other than a quote from the first Avengers movie: "I, I understood that reference. :)"
    Batman vs. Batman seems like it could make an interesting way for Warner/DC to address people who thought The Dark Knight Rises didn't have enough Batman.
    The only Melissa McCarthy works I can remember seeing include Bridesmaids and some of the Kim Possible episodes with DNAmy, which also provide a disheartening demonstration of her changing comedic style.
    Since I don't consider Ghostbusters one of my favorite 1980s popcorn flicks, I would've admitted thinking their crossover with Men in Black and the Jump Street movies sounds more exciting than the all-male reboot, but then I remembered Sony has yet to confirm such a crossover.

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Nah. I said on the site I wouldn't accept two-parters because it would take so long for part two to show up people would forget part one. I thought I could avoid this myself, but when it came time for the next issue, I no longer wanted to do that story. There were other stories backing up in my mind I wanted to do more.

Don't think about it too much -- there was no specified role implied there. If you remember, there was a poster seen a couple issues ago that stated she was going to be in Star Wars Episode VII. This is a running gag. It's half shameless wish-fulfillment because she is so talented yet has barely been in anything.

It's sort of a riff on how DC/WB tends to narrow their focus when exploiting their library of superheroes. What would make more money than Superman vs. Batman? Batman vs. Batman.

4. Dsneybuf

I had to re-read some old BANG! issues to find the Force Awakens poster with Bohrer's name on it-I think reading Mulberry's comments on the new Star Wars movies in the same panel distracted me from looking at the poster before.

5. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

Hey Peter, are you ever going to post the Mulberry stories from Bang! on here anytime soon? Some of us can't buy these things, so we're missing out.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

What's the reason why? Just wondering.

7. TheMisterFree

TheMisterFree Member

I'm only 16, and my parents refuse to use PayPal; they need my help in everything technological around here.

8. Dsneybuf

Does the mentioning of Chris Pratt as a new Ghostbuster act as a jab against him, or simply a commentary on his name becoming attached to some other attempts at rekindling old movie franchises?

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The second one.

Also, there was a second "Mulberry Saw That!" that got cut at the last minute because I didn't think it was funny enough (even though I did see these things written on the sidewalk, in this order):

mulberrysawthatsmall.jpg

10. Dsneybuf

So, @Peter Paltridge, now that a trailer for the new Ghostbusters has appeared, does it do anything to support or alleviate your concerns about Melissa McCarthy's performance? I haven't seen it myself yet.

A concern I have that I've wanted to compare to yours involves Leslie Jones; I consider her one of my favorite current SNL cast members, but also sometimes think she relies too heavily on angry black woman stereotypes. Like Mulberry did for McCarthy here, I see Ghostbusters as an opportunity for Jones to break out of those stereotypes, and hope that she can pull it off. One big difference, though: I've yet to see Jones in something that distanced her as far away from the angry black woman archetype as Gilmore Girls* distanced McCarthy from the fat comic relief archetype; even the most restrained performances I've seen Jones give on SNL still have her do things like curse a lot (the Wiz Live!/Wizard of Oz crossover) or rant offscreen (the American Voices segment about Too Late With Ruby Nichols).

*I've only seen clips of McCarthy in Gilmore Girls, but Kim Possible and Spy convinced me of her apparently-seldom-utilized versatility.

#10 Dsneybuf, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Dsneybuf

With today marking the DVD/Blu-Ray/UHD release of what Sony now calls Ghostbusters: Answer the Call, I've considered sharing some TV Tropes entries about parts of "My Fat Lady" that came true, including some parts that didn't concern Ghostbusters. Even though these entries don't contain any major spoilers for the movie, I decided to include spoiler tags because I flip-flopped over whether or not this really seems posting. (Although, I did wonder for a while if this forum's most frequent posters already read them.)

EDIT: After dwelling on it for a few weeks, I've decided that "My Fat Lady" seems like it could make an awkward revisit after the actual release of Answer the Call. It doesn't help that the story had some parts I also thought felt awkward before that movie's release, but didn't want to talk about back then. However, I will keep this issue on my computer, in case I decide to revisit it after Answer the Call becomes old news.

#12 Dsneybuf, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  13. Dsneybuf

Pretty old news by now, but Ghostbusters: Answer the Call and Melissa McCarthy won Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards for Favorite Movie and Favorite Movie Actress, respectively.
    AtC doesn't feel like the best movie I saw in 2016 (that honor would go to Moana, or Captain America: Civil War if I'd have to choose something live-action), and Kate McKinnon didn't get nominated in the same category as McCarthy (probably because McCarthy has top billing), but does this still seem like a sign that Abby Yates really could become the current generation's Peter Venkman, or at least Ray Stanz? (The TV Tropes character sheet already calls her the latter.)

#13 Dsneybuf, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017