1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bands That Should Retire

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Spideyzilla, Jun 15, 2013.

1. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Reminds me of the time I saw Phil Vassar in concert last July. He's a country music singer who, before he was famous in his own right, wrote a bunch of big hits for other people in the late 1990s. This includes "Bye, Bye" and "I'm Alright" by Jo Dee Messina, "For a Little While" and "My Next Thirty Years" by Tim McGraw, "Little Red Rodeo" by Collin Raye, and "Right on the Money" by Alan Jackson. On his own, Phil had eight Top 10 hits. He's also had a few other songs that went over well with fans despite low chart peaks.

So what did his setlist comprise when I saw him? Three or four of his own hits (the two that went to #1, his debut single from 1999, and his then-current single), almost all of the hits that he wrote for someone else, and a bunch of covers, culminating in "Piano Man" as the closer. My main thought: why even cut all those songs if you're not gonna do them in concert?!

He also looked ridiculous, trying way too hard to work the crowd by running around and screaming and jumping on his piano, despite a.) being just shy of 50, and b.) having maybe one or two songs upbeat enough to warrant that behavior.

2. Lord Mawdryn

Lord Mawdryn Board Bad Boy

I think with quite a few older acts is that they simply make more money playing their old hits rather than releasing new material. I think quite a few don't even have record deals anymore, which makes it even less to their advantage to release new stuff. You'd think in this digital age, it'd be easy to just record some new songs and post them online, but it may be easier (i.e. cheaper) to do that with live recordings than studio ones perhaps...

3. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Are Duran Duran retired?

4. Nobodyman

Nobodyman Well-Known Member

No, but why should they? They just put out one of the best albums they've ever made.

5. I_Spyral

I_Spyral Moonrider

Guns n Roses.

6. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I'm going to pull out Metallica as a band who should retire. Everything I've heard from the band lately, from their live performances to their terrible, terrible cover of Deep Purple's "When a Blind Man Cries" to the whole of Lulu, there's just little good for them now. It isn't even entirely age, either, since Iron Maiden, by comparison, are even older, and they're as great as ever. Their "Space Truckin'" cover, which was put on the same album, was incredible, and they keep on rocking it live and with their recent material.

7. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

But whan happens when DD retires?
    (Imagine if they retire in ten years)