1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Reviews for Atlantis?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 9, 2001.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

So far 22 reviews have come in for Atlantis: The Lost Empire and they are divided. 11 good and 11 bad. Personally, 'm not effected by other people's review. Infact, themore I watch last years blasted movie Titan A.E., the more I like it. Anways, I thought you folks would be interested in this:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/movie-1108241/

2. oranthal

oranthal Superman: A hero in life and in death

i ran into this website before, and i think they purposely give bad reviews for every movie. it is sort of a gag.

3. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

No, the site's a totally legitimate collection of reviews from various newspapers and websites... a quick check there will give you an idea of what a large number or reviewers thought of the movie. The name does suggest a gag, but I assure you it isn't.

Hmmm... I wonder what people's complaints were? Maybe it's the ole "cartoons should only be harmless things for kids" stereotype kicking in. I'll have to check that for myself.

4. Leaping Larry Jojo

Leaping Larry Jojo Searching for a map

I'm sure critics had no effect on the box office results of Battlefield Earth. :cool:

5. Leaping Larry Jojo

A quick survey of the reviews reveal to me that critics are...again complaining about the visual wow-factor (or in their minds, the lack of it). I have long disliked, nay, DETESTED critics who judge animation on its technological superiority rather than imagination and originality. The Entertainment Weekly review already gets my blood boiling. He has insinuated in the past that cel-animation--two-dimensional drawings--are basically of the past tense, and he is only impressed by the continuing advancement of computer technology. This logic is so skewed. Animation has never been about the pursuit of bigger and better animation technology, and it has certainly never been about 'realism.' It's about imagination, creativity, and the ability to draw the viewer into what is essentially a 'fake-looking' world.

Maybe the movie really is bad storywise, but I have become increasingly weary of criticism along the lines of, "It's not big-budget and it's not state-of-the-art technology. Therefore it blows." A hearty Eff-them, I say.

Sorry for the rant. But I really don't think a good cartoon has to have an overinflated budget, and I really don't think it should be encouraged, either.

6. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

Heh heh, maybe some of these critics were made up by the mouse, it's a conspiracy I tell ya ;) ;)

Yeah and it does kinda stink how some people diss it because it does not have the singing cute animals and stuff.

7. James Harvey

It's funny how some people complain about how Disney is leaving their song and dance routine. Wasn't it not too long ago when people were complaining about that?

8. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

I think there will always be people complaining about one thing or another, if only for the reason that different people like different things. Anyway, I saw Atlantis today. The story wasn't anything innovative, but I've known that for weeks... Too many characters vying for screen time and development... Great visuals, cute girls... And I found Moliere really funny. :D

9. Calhoun07

Calhoun07 It's Me

Who cares about critics? They are hardly ever right anyway!

How does this movie compare to Titan AE or Iron Giant? What age does the target audience seem to be?

I also agree that Titan AE is better with repeat viewings.

10. RockItShipper

RockItShipper Master of Flying Guillotine

Critics are, at the end of the day, people just sharing their opinions.

Not sure on the target age, but it's a very clear PG. The first scene with Helga, the body count, an incident with Moliere when they get to Atlantis that fortunately went over my youngest sis' head...

Haven't seen Titan AE, so I can't compare. But same idea and possibly the same deterrent. This is going up against Tomb Raider next week

11. James Harvey

The real question is whether or not this film will withstand TOMB RAIDER. I'm predicting TR will have a $40 million bow, while ATLANTIS will be around $25 mill. And one complaint that always gets me is the plot holes complaint. Almost every review I've seen has one plot hole or another, so I sometimes overlook them unless they're too obvious. Also, check out EW's review of ATLANTIS and look at the Feedback. You'll see a familiar name there.
    :)

12. James Harvey

Just an update - Ebert & Roper gave it 2 thumbs up. Saying that it's an action filled movie that has actual true hilarious characters. Plus, this movie will definatly apeal to action/adventure movie fans.

...hate posting twice inna row...

13. Leaping Larry Jojo

Ebert is usually generous with cartoons, even average ones like Dinosaur.

14. nightwing_38116

15. Fish

Fish Danish Dynamite

:eek: :eek: :eek: @_@ :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW that's ..umm..amazing!
    I think I have to buy Nadia now to do a comparison.
    But I guess you could take any movie and find another movie out there that looks the first.

[​IMG] <>< F I S H ><>[​IMG]

16. Leaping Larry Jojo