1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Back Issue of the Week" #4: Amazing Spider-Man #248

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by wonderfly, Feb 25, 2015.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Back Issue of the Week #4:

"Amazing Spider-Man Annual #248"
    [​IMG]

Story Title: "And He Strikes Like A Thunderball!"
    2nd Story Title: "The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man!"
    Originally Published: 1984

Containing one of the most cherished stand-alone Spider-Man stories of all time! (and no, not the first story).

Thoughts?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

I actually didn't know this story existed until long after I caught the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon episode loosely based on. Remember how cringe-inducing that episode was? Yikes! Still, for the parts where it focused on Spider-Man and the little girl inside the hospital, it was great. Everything else (the cab driver, Doc Ock, Spider-Man and the girl out trying to stop Ock) was awful, but those moments of just back and forth in the room were great. I was surprised when I read this story years later how so emotional and powerful it was even though I knew the storybeats. That scene where the kid asks Spider-Man to reveal his identity and the look on Spider-Man's mask, with his emotions coming through as clear as day, is just heartbreaking stuff. Spider-Man's characterization is so on point here and shows just how excellent of a character he is.

3. Miyamoto Musashi

Miyamoto Musashi Law Enforcer

I remember reading this story as a backup in a Silver Surfer issue (reprint actually, Indian publisher reprints comics from Marvel, DC, and other publishers, we got the issues here because lots of Indian folks live in my country).
    Loved the story ever since, always have, although ending it with letting young Timothy see the face of Peter is weird and unnecessary.
    That moment in Amazing Spider-Man 700 with Spidey meeting Tim again was a nice touch of Slott.
    Jacob Conovers article about Timmothy Harris seeping through the panels was a very nice touch in the story, a real shame some Spider-Man scribe made that reporter one of the Roses.

4. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

A good issue. I remember reading as part of a collected trade paperback many, many years ago. It was surprising, but not entirely out of character for Peter to reveal his identity to the youngster, I remember thinking at the time. Whereas his secret identity became a running joke for many years, it's integrity was preserved back in those days.

I suppose readers in those days probably needed a flashback to Spidey's origin every once in a while, as collected editions of Amazing Fantasy #15 weren't as easy to come by.

5. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I bought this on comiXology! I just have to read it! I swear I'm gonna do it! Like, REALLY REALLY soon!