B:TAS "Zatanna" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 18, 2003.

?

Rate "Zatanna" and Post your Comments

1. *****

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. ****

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. ***

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Discuss this classic Batman: The Animated Series episode!

[​IMG]
    Episode #054 - Zatanna
    Original Airdate - February 2nd, 1993.

When the glamorous magician Zatanna is framed for a robbery during her act, Batman swings to her defense. Zatanna is grateful though a little puzzled by the Dark Knight's commitment to prove her innocence, but the two heroes unite and use the skills her father, Zatara, taught them to expose and combat an evil illusionist.

Comments?

2. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Prior to this episode, I really had no idea that Zatanna or Zatara even existed, much less as key players in the history of the DCU.

But here, the script condenses the mistress of magic into a lively women with a deep connection to Bruce Wayne's often difficult past. Their love, having come at a time when neither could really settle down into a permanent relationship, retains the same innocence when they are reunited during the course of this episode. If not for their careers, Bruce and Zatanna may have been able to improve upon what they once had. Unfortunate, to say the least.

Overall, though, the plot manges to keep itself away from becoming an emtional overdose thanks to the inclusion of a fun villain and thrilling climax. There was always something very "Rocketeer" about that airship, very much in line with the styling of the series. The animation wasn't always at it's best, if I remember correctly, but you can't hold it against a tale that pits the Dark Knight against magic for one of the first times in his career. Things don't get too hokey, and the ending brings us back to the bittersweet sepia tones of youth. First love really is magic.

3. DarkLantern

DarkLantern Keeping my promise

I loved how Dini managed to slip in a little tribute to Zee's backward-spoken incantations.

DL

4. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

I was surprised when those backwards incantations became the norm for the character in the Gotham Girls webtoons. I guess it's like the treatment of Etrigan.

5. Batman

Batman Guest

I had alot of fun with this episode. It was great seeing a look into Bruce's past. I especially like the color tones they used in the flashback. We hear alot about Bruce's training and all the work he did to become what he is today, so it was nice to see that actually seen in this episode, even if it was somewhat breif. Plus, the relationship between Bruce and Zatanna was well done!

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I really enjoyed the Zatanna/Bruce relationship. The whole first love thing. And I liked the fact that Bruce had kept tabs on her.

And heres hoping she might make and appearance in the animated comic or Justice League.

7. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

Hey did Batman and Zatanna have a relationship in the comics?

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Aside from being team mates in the JLA? I'm pretty sure no. I'm 93% positive they didnt. But with Bats you never really know. I think TPTB thought he had enough tortured love affairs with non normal types (Talia, Selina, etc.)

9. Joker1238

Joker1238 New Member

After seeing this, I have no problems with Batman's escape from Injustice from All lol.

10. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster

Pick a card, I'll tell your future. Hmm... two of hearts?
    Joker.

Outstanding. Batman's romantic relationships were usually pretty dull in this show - Talia or Catwoman rarely offered interest, this was by far the best of them as they avoided the full on romance.

11. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Where's that Joker quote from?

12. Joker1238

Joker1238 New Member

Joker didnt say that, it was Zatanna in a flash back.

She was having Bruce picks cards. And she guess 2 of hears(For lovers)

But Bruce flip it over and said no, Joker. And we all kinda of new what that ment lol.

13. ShadowStar

ShadowStar Member

Oh, I had forgotten all about that...

14. Nygma

Nygma New Member

What was wrong with Talia on TAS? Catwoman I totally agree on, as they butchered her from the beginning. But I thought the chemistry between Talia and Bruce was pretty good, though I prefered their moments in Avatar and The Vertigo episode to their moments in The Demons Quest. Mostly because Bruce/Bats (or the audience) was never 100% sure if he could trust her at the end of those episodes.

Anyways I always loved episodes like this that focused on a piece of Bruce's past.

Though Bruce being refered to as Jon to Zatanna and her father was lost on me. Anyone care to help me with that one? Maybe I just can't remember off the top of my head.

15. Aldrius

Aldrius Arrogant Instigator

Er... when they did that or why?

The why is because Bruce was obviously using an alias, to elude anyone who might try to figure out his secret in the future. When? She calls him John Smith sardonically when they're flirting with eachother.