1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

B:TAS "Mad Love" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jun 28, 2002.

?

Rate This Episode

1. *****

49 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. ****1/2

12 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. ****

8 vote(s)
    10.8%
  4. ***1/2

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Adapting the classic The Batman Adventures one-shot, discuss this fan-favorite Batman: The Animated Series episode from the The New Batman Adventures era!

[​IMG]

Episode #106 - Mad Love
    Original Airdate - January 16th, 1999 - Sixth Season Finale/Series Finale.

Harley recounts how she became involved with the Joker, and is determined to prove that she is still useful by trapping Batman.

Comments?

Related Discussion:
    -The Batman Adventures "Mad Love" Comic Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Joker85

Joker85 Clown Prince

This has always been one of my favorite Harley/Joker eps. Although its not a perfect adaptation of the comic, it has the best points and the pace never slows down! I always get tickled at Joker's "may the floss be with you" line, its just so stupid that its funny! :) Like I said, I thought the comic was better, but the episode was excellent and I can't think of a more fitting end to BTAS(if there had to be one!)

3. MILatino

MILatino =/\=

**** 1/2

Good writing. When Harley removes her make-up and costume and dons a trenchcoat and fedora, and trades in her gun moll voice for something more serious, it's the first time that woman is actually scary. I felt sorry for her being tied to that lunatic Joker so badly.

I didn't give it five stars because
    1. Why didn't the needle simply contain poison at a fatal dose instead of knocking Batman unconcious? It goes back to the question, "Why don't you just shoot him?" someone asked the Joker once.
    2. Yet another person had an unconcious Batman in their paws and she didn't unmask him.

4. Frank White

Frank White R.I.P Notorious BIG

5 stars! This is definitely in my top 5 best ever BTAS eps. I love this ep. It one of the better villian origin stories and the one-liners are classic. But anyway can someone tell me some of the scenes left out from the comic. I know one was when the Joker was in the car on the way to the Aquacade he thinks of what the other villians would think if Harley killed Batman, but anyone know some others?

5. Cere

Cere Osiris, the Saint Dragon

I've never read the comic. Still, I loved the episode. I haven't seen it in a while, but it is a TNBA episode I remember very well (except how it began. how did it begin?). The whole thing was great. Joker's ensnarement of Harley was fascinating, Harley's capture of Batman was wonderful, but the best part by far was Batman wrangling out of Harley's clutches. That scene is the best Batman scene I have ever seen (no pun intended). And that's my two cents.

6. unknown hero

unknown hero Chaos Dimension!

i thought it was good to present the show in almost the exact same way as in the comic. i wish they changed the character design of the joker if just for this episode

an overall great adaption to the comic, especially when harley has a flashback to when she worked in arkham

#6 unknown hero, Jun 29, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2002
  7. jm5150bc

jm5150bc Member

Loved this episode... Great Adaptation of a Great Comic.

Granted there were some missing scenes, but nothing that detracted from the overall story, and the show moves at a great pace. Also, its one of the better animated shows by KoKo... but I REALLY would haved liked to see TMS get this one !!

Great Performances by Kevin Conroy (as always- but the laughing scene where he creeps Harley out ruled !), Mark Hamill, and Arleen Sorken.

4 1/2 stars... Would have been 5 if TMS did it.

8. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Re: Re: B:TAS "Mad Love" Talkback (Spoilers)

[color=00FFFF]Those things don't matter in the epic battle between Joker and Batman! The humiliation, defeat, and kill are all that matters!

......plus Harley's an idiot. :D

It's a shame some things were left out from the comic. I haven't read them, only read about them, but some of the things couldn't get past censors and stuff, and other things were taken out also but for different reasons I'm not familiar with.

In that imaginary world where Harley and Joker live happily ever after (ew :p) on the mantle of their fireplace is Batman's stuffed head. Sooo I guess I can see why they probably left that out.

It gets a five from me, but I would have liked TMS to have done the animation too. Eh, it was still nice. :)

[/color]

9. Sandoz

Sandoz Thin Man Fan

Another scene I believe they cut from the comic is when Batman is talking about her origin, we see that Harleen seduced her professors in high school/college to get good grades and get ahead. I can see why the censors would find that too risque. Also, they changed the ending. At the end, the doctor-lady is wheeling injured Harley into her cell. She asks her how it felt to be used, betrayed, left for dead, etc. Harley looks positively rotten and says, "It felt like..." she sees Mr. J's flower, "...A Kiss." I wish they would have kept that line in the episode, I liked it better than her calling Joker an angel.

"Mad Love" is still one of my fav episodes of B:TAS because I'm a sucker for Harley. The psychological element in this episode is excellent, from Joker's manipulation of Harley, to how Batman gets out of her grasp. And yeah, that laugh was great! :D

10. Batsy

Batsy Going to hell in a hand basket

:sniff: I missed it. I've never seen it before and I missed it. :sniff: :(

11. The Shade

The Shade I'm Batman

One of the best eps of TNBA, up there with Over the Edge.

I give it a 5

12. Thundercleese

Thundercleese .......holders

A needle with poison in it would not be funny or original. The Joker wants Batman's death to be funny. Harley knows that, that's just how I see it.

13. dark knight acolyte

dark knight acolyte Deep in the Shadows of Gotham

Besides...the "just shoot him" or "unmask" him argument, while logical and coherent ( I do agree) would just make it creatively nearly impossible to write. Batman's career would simply end in every other episode and you need the peril and dillema-filled stories here and there, just as you need a bad guy. I realize that there are 101 arguments, as I can anticipate, to what I jsut said, and I know it ISN't justification. It's just a pattern I've come to accept (no shooting him/ unmasking) as part of making things creatively more feasible (the pattern is hard, if not impossible, to completely avoid). It used to bother me badly, but I've just come to accept it as a fundamental pattern that I need to overlook. If not, it would continue to drive me bonker!!!!!!!! (Just like if the bullets dart off Superman's chest, why does he duck when the bandit throws the gun?) Just things you gotta take in stride, SEMI-accept (for storyline and flow and continuity purposes), and generally overlook.

14. Sparvid

Sparvid Robot in disguise

inmate: "Take off his mask. I want to see his real face."
    Joker: "You idiot! That is his real face."
    -Arkham Asylum

Not everyone cares about who is under the mask :)

15. Bleu Unicorn

Bleu Unicorn \ (^v^) /

[color=63B8FF]Been reading through some of the talkbacks -- and when I saw this:[/color]
    [color=63B8FF]I had to reply.

First of all, NW, I'm desperately fighting the urge to physically hurt you. :mad: I really am -- so you had better be kidding... or I'll be forced to just be seriously upset with you. :( I just don't even know what to say -- but you can always ask Borg about my initial reaction, that is if it's repeatable even. I saw this rather late last night and, well, I doubt it was pretty.

Ok, since I'm here I'll comment on this episode. :D Without a doubt one of my all-time favorite of the BTAS series. And definitely my favorite Harley episode!

It differs from the comic, as said already, but I still really enjoy it a lot. For fans who've never read the comic, it's their first real glimpse into Harley's history and what makes her who she is -- yeah, so she's still a wacko in a clown costume, but that whole tragic love thing just makes her more, not less, loveable to me.

I do have a weird gripe about this -- and it has more to do with the plot itself, but don't you usually do an internship before you become a doctor? I would think, and hope, that with a degree of that magnitude, she'd already have gone through that part of her learning experience. I've always written it off as she really was interested in the criminally insane, but it's still kind of a plot hole to me.

Anyway, the animation, while not at it's greatest, doesn't detract from this story to me in the least. It's a great episode and really I could ramble on about it forever. It showcases the Joker/Harley relationship on a level that we don't really see in any of the previous episodes. "Harley and Ivy" sort of shows the psychotic part of there odd union, but here we really see the abuse that Harley gets from Joker. He doesn't love her, half the time he doesn't even like her -- and gods forbid she actually do something that shows she's got a brain under that blonde hair of hers. We see that, more than likely, she's physically abused by Joker, time and again. And like a typical battered girlfriend, she comes back, time and time again because she really thinks he'll change, things will be different -- and darned it all, she actually loves him!

Ok, so I way over-analyze, but she is my favorite Batman villian afterall. Anyhoo, a definite five star episode for me. One of the very best of the series, imho.

And I still can't believe you called her an idiot, Nighty. :( I'd say, yeah she's insane -- but just being dumb or idiotic isn't exactly Harley. It's all fun to her and... you know, I'll never end this post if I debate this, so never mind. ;)[/color]

#15 Bleu Unicorn, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2002
  16. maxnugget

maxnugget Avenger of evil and ignorance

Just a side comment regarding one of the earlier posts:

This is an interesting point that I never really thought about until now. For a villain like Joker, knowing that Batman is Bruce Wayne would only be important to him because it opens up a whole other realm of possible ways to fight/kill Batman. Joker really, really wouldn't care for any other reason. He's obsessed with Batman, and, even if he knew Bruce Wayne was Batman, he would think of Bruce Wayne as Batman, not Batman as Bruce Wayne. Joker, in fact, is in a better position to understand how much Bruce Wayne really is Batman than any other characters in the show.

The other villains shouldn't care about Batman's identity either (aside from the aforementioned reason given for Joker). Two-Face obviously would care (it would be interesting to see how he'd react to such a discovery), Ra's Al Ghul already knows, etc.

17. Comic Book Boy

Comic Book Boy hero of Toonzone!

This episode is great :) that was a really good choice by the producers It is awsome too bad it isn't longer though.....

18. DKstormyknight

DKstormyknight Shadow in the Darkness

Does anyone know when Mad Love will be on again? :)

:cool:

19. LadyM

LadyM Active Member

One of my favorite episodes . . . I'm really surprised they managed to get it past the censors at all, considering the serious nature of the theme (battered girlfriend--eek!), but I'm glad they did!

~LM~

20. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

I always thought the producers should have made this a DTV. Then they could have gotten away with more. Oh wait, I forgot ROTJ.

Anyway, I thought this was decent. Also, I showed this episode to a friend of mine who bears sort of a resemblance to Harley Quinn.