1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Avengers & X-Men: AXIS (2014)" Comic Event Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by James Harvey, Oct 8, 2014.

?

Rate and Comment on "AXIS"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Everything gets turned upside down in Marvel's latest epic event!

AVENGERS & X-MEN: AXIS #1 (OF 9)

[​IMG]

WRITER: RICK REMENDER
    ARTIST: ADAM KUBERT

-The Red Skull has exploited the gifts of the world's greatest telepath to broadcast pure hatred across the globe. Now, born of the murder of Charles Xavier, World War Hate has begun.
    -Tony Stark discovers a secret truth that will upend not only his life, but also the lives of everyone he cares for.
    -Can The Avengers and X-Men finally unite? Would their combined strength be enough to hold back the darkness of the Red Onslaught?
    -Magneto murdered the wrong man, releasing the greatest evil the Marvel Universe has ever known. Now Rogue and Scarlet Witch are all that stand in its way.

Comment?

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Looks like they did it - Wanda and Peitro are no longer Magneto's kids and are probably not mutants anymore. I assume this was basically the whole reason behind the mini-series, to line the comics up more with the movies. This actually bothers me since Peitro especially has been defined by his relationship with his father, and this pretty much takes all of that away. Granted they can now flourish on their own but I assume they'll be tied with Marvel's desperate attempts to make Inhumans popular.

3. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

I thought the first arc of Uncanny Avengers was really really good. It all went down hill from there. After (somehow) getting through the 3 or so arcs that followed it, I eventually just didn't care anymore and stopped reading the title. Thankfully by the time I decided I didn't care anymore, Axis was announced and Uncanny Avengers in that incarnation was ending. Since I had so much invested in the title already, I didn't mind finishing it out (as in buying the remaining issues, not actually reading them).

ALL THAT I SAID, I honestly expected Axis would redeem basically everything that followed the first Uncanny Avengers arc, which it didn't. I couldn't even finish the first issue. All the things that annoyed me in the arcs I didn't like were still in what I read. At least it's over.

Is Rick Remender supposed to be one of the "big names" at Marvel? I seriously haven't liked anything I've read from him (except the first Uncanny Avengers arc), and if there is a character/series that I care for and he's the writer, or a title I get already gets a new creative team and Remender is the writer, I'm not even going to bother.

Is Axis even a Marvel "event" (like House Of M, Civil War, Secret Invasion, Siege, Original Sin, etc), or is this just a "lesser" X-Men and Avengers story? I was thinking this was an "event", and since I enjoyed every Marvel event all the way back to House Of M, I had more than enough reason to believe Axis would redeem Uncanny Avengers. If it's just a "lesser" X-Men and Avengers story, I'm not surprised Axis didn't redeem anything.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Just curious, what didn't you enjoy about Uncanny Avengers after the first arc? I had my own issues as well, and there has been some controversy related to the series, but I thought the Kang/Apocalypse Twins arc was pretty strong overall :).

After Original Sin basically ended up being an event to get rid of classic Nick Fury, having an event that's basically an excuse to do away with Wanda and Pietro's relation to Magneto (and possibly make them Inhumans) wouldn't surprise me. While the two now having no blood ties to Magneto and the mystery behind that does have story potential, it also takes away a key aspect to the Twins' characters and background that seems unnecessary and makes past stories that have focused on that aspect seem shallow :sad:.

More and more I'm just getting tired of Marvel's attempts at synergy and how it effects the characters, all to make the comics more like the MCU :shrug:.

I've at least...kinda been enjoying Axis more than Original Sin, but not by much. There are definitely plenty of flaws to it, including the handling of the Inversions. Secret War will probably be the last Marvel event I bother reading, or at least I hope it is :sweat:.