1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Avengers: Secret Wars" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 2, 2017.

?

Rate and discuss these "Avengers: Secret Wars" shorts!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I don't really doubt that, but I really don't like it. Who the heck is Hope van Dyne? Janet Van Dyne is The Wasp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hope Van Dyne is going to be the MCU Wasp, so that's reason enough for the creators to use her instead of Janet even though there's not really much to work with for Hope.

Which is probably why she felt more like her Mom here then she did her movie-self.

It's the same reason Scott Lang is Ant-Man and Hank Pym is relegated to a vague, casual, reference.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. TheVileOne

Reporter

It's a fact that has never sat well with me. And while I don't really care for Scott Lang, at least he has some established history in the comics in previous decades, unlike Hope, who again was a marginal character from MC2 who barely did anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

She was also a bad guy in the MC2 continuity.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TheVileOne

Reporter

Yeah yet another reason Hope replacing Janet in media annoys me. Everyone else kind of accepts it though. I don't get it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

I thought these shorts were all right. I know I'm beating a dead horse but the animation could be better. Another dead horse, I know, but I wish we could get more than MCU depictions of these characters. I think what bothers me the most about Marvel right now is they're all about Market synergy. Marvel vs Capcom:Infinite so far only has MCU standouts and none of the characters that made the franchise great to begin with. Just feels like they're trying too hard to shove the movies down our throats. Kind of a detriment of being box office trendsetters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

If there is anyone who still has'nt seen the shorts yet, Here there are all together in one long video:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. General Mike

General Mike Member

I don't love it, but I'm not that against it, considering this cartoon is basically an extension of the MCU. The fact that we've gotten basically 3 different portrayals of Ant-Man in the first 3 seasons bothers me a lot more, and if they can make him closer to the Paul Rudd live action version of Lang, I'll be happy.

I did like the chemistry between Scott and Hope in the short, they seemed more like a brother/sister pair or best friends then a romantic couple which is okay too.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm happy to think that we might be over the "Scott Pym" characterization of the past few seasons, given Scott's taken enough from Hank as is :rolleyes:.

I do feel kind of bad for Grant George though. I mean I love Josh Keaton, he sounds great as Scott here and I'm happy to hear him in a Marvel cartoon again, but I feel like it was unfair to just replace George when he probably could have done a fine job with the new characterization :(.

I feel like the exact nature of their relationship is going to be ambiguous across this entire series, because of Marvel Animation's aversion to romance, though it also felt like you could project whatever you wanted into their interaction in the short :shrug:.

I did get some Hank and Jan vibes from their dynamic here, if only a little :).

Though I guess not that romantic many couples fist-bump :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dr_marvel2040

dr_marvel2040 Member

Its wasnt that good to be honest..a giant frog...rats...strange weird aliens...and typical claw...
    Why no new villan in the whoooole episode??hope they improve through the season

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I did feel the shorts were kind of underwhelming on the villain front :sad:.

I mean, Kamala fighting a giant Mega-Toad is fun, Black Panther vs. Klaw is classic, but it would've been nice to see Carol, Vision, Scott, and Hope fight some major villains connected to them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

One thing that's really lacking from the Mighty Avengers is some noticeable and large villains. All of these heroes have C level rogues galleries (BP is a bit of an exception).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. General Mike

General Mike Member

I thought it was good to see them show something different with Vision saving the miners who were trapped below even after they disrespected him, and Hope and Scott carrying about the single ant, even though there are 3 trillion of them. Fighting villains isn't the only thing that makes them heroes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

All the more reason to use those C-listers and try and make them look cool ;).

I am still kind of surprised we haven't seen the Darren Cross Yellowjacket turn up yet o_O.
    I understood what they were going for, and I still liked it more or less, I just would've preferred seeing some new villains pop up for some good action :evil:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TheVileOne

Reporter

One thing I don't like about Avengers Assemble is the MCU character revamps.

For another, they did a whole third season around Ultron, and while they revamped him to give him an MCU design, his attitude and voice were still more consistent with the comics version. They didn't revamp him to give him the MCU/James Spader-esque personality that's similar to Tony Stark.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sometimes it felt like they couldn't keep it consistent what they wanted from this version of Ultron. One minute he's a cold killing machine, the next he's more emotive and talkative ala his movie incarnation :confused:.

Although I've noticed that's generally been consistent for most of the MCU revamps...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Except for Falcon oddly enough...

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

One of the down sides of being slaves to synergy with the films and not thinking much of the intelligence of the targeted kid audience is that the show runners try not to stray to far away from the characters and characterization that either has already been introduced and established in the films or will be introduced in a future film.

This is might also be one of several reasons why the current Marvel series don't have a huge budget. These shows main purpose is to sell toys and promote the movies.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought the shorts were decent and did all right at showcasing the personalities of the new Avengers. There are enough "throwaway" villans they could have used in some cases but I guess the hero was all they cared about displaying. It's kind of hard to imagine why Cap would even care about a story like Ant-Man's though.

The Klaw MCU retcon still bugs me though. We already had classic supervillain Klaw but they figured having him as the average looking mercenary would pop off screen more?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

The one millions of people saw in a hit movie.

Like I said when people were complaining about the shorts starring Scott and not Hank (which was ALWAYS going to happen, I don't know why anyone was kidding themselves about that), the only reason there has been a sudden influx of interest in the Ant-Man franchise the last three years has been because of the movie.

It's the same reason nobody at Disney was rushing to commission shorts about Rocket Raccoon and Groot before a few years ago. The movies expose these characters to a broader audience than the comics do and unfortunately in some cases it's not always the characters or takes the hardcore fans prefer, sadly.

• Informative Informative x 1