1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Avengers: Secret Wars" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 2, 2017.

?

Rate and discuss these "Avengers: Secret Wars" shorts!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As we approach the Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars premiere date, Disney XD will release six animated shorts featuring the newest Avengers daily beginning today, on the Disney XD app, VOD and Disney XDā€™s YouTube.

[​IMG]

Friday, June 2nd ā€“ Wednesday, June 7th

Six original shorts will debut daily on Disney XD linear, on-demand and digital platforms. All six shorts will be available on Friday, June 2nd, on the Disney XD App. In the animated shorts, we meet the newest Avengers ā€“ Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man, Wasp, and Vision ā€“ in a flashback sequence to learn about their background, super powers and, ultimately, what makes them super heroes.

Use this thread to discuss these Avengers: Secret Wars animated shorts!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
    "Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 8 (Spoilers)
    "Guardians of the Galaxy" Digital Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)
    Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Origins" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Disney XD's YouTube channel
    Watch the "Ms. Marvel" animated short at IGN

• Like Like x 2
  2. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I'm liking this so far. Ms. Marvel is marvelous.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

The Ms. Marvel short was really fun. It felt like a Ms. Marvel animated series that I didn't know I wanted.

Kamala's presentation on superheroes felt just like me and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles back in fifth grade! :D Her enthusiasm is pretty contagious and feels like the character brought to life.

Seeing the giant frog from the comics was the cherry on top for me (frogs are my favorite animal)!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fun short :anime:.

Reminded me a lot of the EMH Micro-Series and the purpose it served, giving audiences a solid introduction and showcase of the hero it focused on, introduced their world a little, have them fight one of their villains, and introduce their character conflicts going into the season ;).

The animation could use better shading and coloring, but at least it was a little more consistent and solid by Marvel Animation standards. Hopefully that holds true for the season in general :cool:.

It was also really cool seeing Ms. Marvel get this kind of character focus, showing her as the fun, endearing, and excitable heroine that she is :D.

I wonder if all those villains in the intro are going to be the ones to make up the Cabal? Looks like we've got Hyperion, Leader, Kang, a silver-armored villain, the Super-Adaptoid, and Ultron :eek:.

I liked seeing Kamala at school, her geekiness over Superheroes showing even out-of-costume, and talking to Aamir (?) about her parents :).

It would've been nice to see Bruno and Nakia as well, and I wish the Marvel cartoons were more comfortable spotlighting or showcasing supporting characters and civilians :sad:.

I hope no one in that bus saw her change into her costume, but I guess the angle and the alley being dark probably solved that issue :proud:.

Ms. Marvel fighting a giant Mega-Toad. Only in a Superhero cartoon folks. And, honestly, that Mega-Toad isn't all that out-there as far as Ms. Marvel's Rogues Gallery is concerned :p.

Y'know, if this was EMH I'd think there was something to the fact that a truck driver just "happened" to drive into another truck containing that Mega-Toad and then just ran off. Particularly when Kamala mentioned her "Archenemy" issues, I wondered if the Inventor might have been behind this o_O?

Looks like Kamala's issues going into the season is that she feels she isn't ready to be an Avenger yet, or at least on the level of the other "new recruits" :ack:.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see they actually did something with her school. The lack of anything concerning the heroes' personal lives was a consistent complaint I had in the first three seasons (though Season 3 did start doing a little bit more with Cap's fish out of water feelings, at least).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

"I do it in the name of colonialism." Klaw during Black Panther's short. I wish they used Black Panther's other villains, White Ape had a great EMH episode.

I guess they let TNC write this short lol. I liked them all, well done. Vision's was sweet.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Marvel/DCfan

Marvel/DCfan Active Member

Where did you see the other shorts?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. RoryWilliams

They're all up on Disney XD's official Youtube. The plane being called "Kelly Sue" is a cute touch.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I don't which I like more. I resonate most with Miss Marvel, but Captain Marvel really inspired me, and Ant Man and Wasp have really good chemistry (platonic chemistry I mean). The other shorts have a bit of a soul to them

• Like Like x 3
  10. Dustellar

Dustellar Active Member

11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I guess it kind of made sense to have Kamala be the one to talk about each of the New Avengers in order to segue into each segment and spotlight on the hero, though it felt a tad clunky and exposition-y :shrug:.

Always awesome to see the Black Panther kicking butt and taking names, particularly if it's Klaw :cool:.

As clunky and awkward as that MCU suit looks in animation, it's still always awesome getting to hear James C. Mathis III as T"Challa :D.

Though at times Mathis' T'Challa sounded a tad more vicious then I recall him ever sounding in EMH :eek:.

I liked Carol's silly retro-space plane being called the "Kelly Sue," in honor of Kelly Sue DeConinck who was the first writer to write Carol as Captain Marvel :).

Although it felt a little on-the-nose to some degree, though I could say that about a lot of what we've seen of Carol in the recent cartoons :sweat:.

Poor Carol still can't find any interesting villains to fight, just some generic alien gangsters...although that one guy with the two mouths looked pretty wicked :evil:.

I find it weird that it took them this long to actually address Vision's origin, even when it's basically just the MCU origin verbatim. Though saying his mind was imprinted from a "true hero" is kind of vague, meaning it could be JARVIS (which they seem to be going for) or even Simon Williams for all we know :confused:.

I guess it's interesting that this version of Vision seems to have a better grasp of his humanity compared to the comics or movie version, or at least he's more comfortable with it and thinking of himself as "human" instead of as an android. Little bit of a departure from the norm for the character that I'm curious to see develop...

I found it kind of funny that Grey Griffin apparently voiced all the thugs Carol took took out and David Kaye voiced the two workers Vision saved, even the black one. Was James C. Mathis III not in the studio that day or what o_O?

Josh Keaton sounds solid as Ant-Man, who definitely seems to be more in-line with the quippy and fun depiction of Scott Lang from the movies compared to his past depiction in the previous seasons. At the very least it's nice to think that Scott won't be taking anymore from Hank then he already has :rolleyes2:.

I'm glad Hope seems a a lot warmer and nicer here then she did in the movie, and with more of the kind of fun and sassy personality I would expect from Jan, and Kari Wahlgren also sounds pretty good as Wasp :anime:.

I'd definitely agree with Kamala that Scott and Hope, and by extension Josh and Kari, have good chemistry and bounce off each other well as partners. Their banter was pretty fun and reminded me of Hank and Janet a bit :).

I'm wondering if they're ever going to go into detail about the nature of Scott and Hope's relationship, and if they're "partners" in more ways then one? I kind a got the sense that it could be romantic, though granted I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as ambiguous and platonic as they possibly can :rolleyes:.

I guess "Hope's Dad" building their gear is the closest we'll get to any acknowledging of Hank Pym in the cartoons at this point, which is kinda disappointing. Didn't even get an acknowledgement of Jan either :sad:.

I also guess if you're going to reboot Scott to be closer to the movie version, and I'm at least glad he's got a better-designed mask now, you might as well bring in his ant-sidekick as well. Though if he's named all the male ants Antony, that'll probably save him the trouble of worrying about something bad happening to them like the original :crying:.

Although obviously he and Hope both tried to save him nonetheless, and I'm not sure if I found their adventure to save an ant a tad underwhelming (as I did some of The Avengers' other adventures) or a fitting nod to the Ant-Man's movie depiction of small-sized events in epic proportions :rolleyes2:.

When I saw all those people applauding Kamala for stopping that train, I couldn't help but think "what about her secret identity" :confused:?

Heh, I probably couldn't resist hugging Cap either :oops:.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

@Dustellar
    "Vision - he's not exactly a robot, more like a human who happens to be made of robot parts. His body was built to contain Ultron's mind, but instead it got a hero's artificial intelligence making Vision an android Avenger who's one of a kind." That's pretty much all they say about his origin.

Mar-Vell isn't mentioned. They do say Wasp's dad invented the battle-suits, but his name isn't mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #12 RoyalRubble, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  13. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

> Saves a common ant from drowning in a sewer.
    > Leaves a dozen rats to drown and presumably die.

Who's the villain now, Scott?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. RoryWilliams

I thought we pretty much knew Mar-Vell was not present in her origin when they said she got her powers from an alien abduction/experiment.

I guess he still could've been involved but they're certainly not doing the "classic" origin she has in the comics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

These shorts were good, but still had some of the same flaws that this series has been plagued with since the very first episode. While the art was inconsistent and lacking at times (in regards to the coloring and lack of shading, not to mention bad and misplaced CGI), the animation itself was (for the most part) good and pretty smooth (especially in the Black Panther short). The stories for the shorts ranged from decent to good (the BP and Captain Marvel being my favorite). Speaking of Captain Marvel, Marvel Animation once again proves that they don't think much of the intelligence of the kid audience that they are aiming these promo and commercial....er.......I mean animated TV series at. For example, they had Captain Marvel flying her winged propeller driven plane into space. Anyone with a basic knowledge of science knows why that scene was stupid as heck. These shorts were also (obviously) steeped in synergy with the films which is always a negative point to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. McMax

McMax Member

Well saw this on You Tube and I like getting Ms. Marvel and Wasp but the art and animation was so bad and reminding us of A:EMH which was 1000% better didn't help.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Not overly fond of Wasp becoming Hope van Dyne. But that's Edgar Wright's fault.

Is there some reason we couldn't keep Janet as the main Wasp?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, there's no reason they couldn't use Janent, but if they're going to be in-line with the movies and pair a Wasp with their Ant-Man (who's Scott Lang), they may as well use Hope :shrug:.

Of course, it would still have been nice for them to reference Jan, but that would've been more then I was expecting from the writers here...

I'm just glad Hope's not really acting like her movie self and more like her Mom :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It just annoys me that Janet has been marginalized because of one average movie. Not only that, she's been replaced by a marginal character who barely even existed in the comics. I recall, Hope's only run was basically as a villain in MC2.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Perhaps it was mandated thing?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1