Avengers, Post-AEMH

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Medinnus, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

We all know the rumors going around about the "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", and how its going to be replaced once its run is over with another Avengers series.

Rather than stew in negativity, I propose we discuss and speculate on what we'd like to see, taking the movies into account, and making a concerted effort to diverge from the themes and plots of AEMH. What is it we'd like to see, as fans?

Note to mods - not sure if this is really appropriate, and if not I apologize, but I thought perhaps a venue to discuss positive possibilities moving forward would be perhaps a Good Thing (tm)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2012
  2. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

I don't really want anything in the movie continuity, but I'd accept a team based off the movie line-up. However I definitely want guest spots and team-ups with other Avengers (since the movie team is really white and only has one woman). I'd also want them to put Hawkeye in his new costumes, which was one of the things I always hated about EMH.

3. Monte

Monte Active Member

Now who said that the movies would actually be PART of the continuity? Sure they might reference the movies for the sake of cross promotion, such as using a similar team line up, but this does not even begin to suggest that movies will be in the same continuity as the animated series. Hell the next averngers series may have more in common with AEMH than the movies in terms of plot and story.

4. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

While true, I thought part of the point of the reboot was to make the series more in line with the movies - but you are right, it may just be the line-up (although the appearance of Captain America in the USM, which is planned to be in-continuity, is clearly dervived from the Avengers movie design), so lets make that assumption, along with USM being in continuity, no multi-part sagas as such (arcs with standalones seem to be OK, as USM is doing those).

See? I'm easy!

5. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Seems like smart business to me to make an animated series in line with the gigantic movie coming out this summer with all the toys and will eventually be makings it's way onto DVD/Blu-ray, VOD, cable/satellite, etc. Just like shows like Transformers: Animated and Transformers: Prime took visual cues and ideas from the live action Transformers movie. And GI JOE: Renegades from the Rise of Cobra movie or The Batman from Batman Begins.

However, I think this is better served once Earth's Mightiest Heroes is actually finished. I know this is a hot topic of discussion because of all the "rumors" that are out there. But they are still rumors. I think until we know something more concrete about what Marvel Animation's plans for Avengers are it's a better discussion.

6. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Look guys, until someone from Marvel or Disney officially comes out with a confirmation of this, this is all just fanboy speculation.

If you guys would just stop being paranoid, then we won't have anything to worry about. And if Avengers: EMH does get canceled, then I'll happily eat some crow over all this.

7. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

To be honest, I was NEVER a fan of the EMH character designs, and in the next series I hope it's more on the lines of Young Justice, and Ultimate Spider Man.

And please, god, no CG..

8. reflection

reflection Active Member

Is AEMH really THAT much different from the Marvel Avengers universe that people couldn't watch the movie and be "Oh cool, an Avengers cartoon!"

It's not like BTAS was just like Burton's Batman.

9. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord New Member

Heh, for so long I was wondering why awesome shows like Wolverine and the X-Men and Spectacular Spider-Man only lasted 26 eps, while "okay" shows like Avengers EMH lasted longer. So to this cancellation, I say...TROLOLOL.

I really don't like Iron Man's design here. I read somewhere that it was based on the film's armor, yet it really doesn't look anything like it! He looks much better in Ultimate Spider-Man.

I agree as far as it being more like Young Justice (minus the few weak characterizations =P ).

10. Dustellar

Dustellar New Member

AEMH is much better than USM
    USM The episodes do not make sense and humor does not work

11. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Cheers to that. Green Lantern has won me over for CG in the right hands, but if this show's in the same mold as Ultimate Spider-Man (which I like) it has enough of an uphill battle without that to worry about.

Hmm... what would I want or expect? EMH is VERY classic Avengers, cast-wise and content-wise, which I've been loving, but a more modern Avengers team would be interesting to see, drawing on the Mighty Avengers and post-Civil War stuff. I think some movie staples will be obvious: Iron Man DEFINITELY, Captain America and Thor for sure, Black Widow maybe... no idea on Hawkeye. Hulk will probably be over in Agents of SMASH (assuming that will be in-continuity), so he's probably out.

Probably more SHIELD involvement. If it's the same universe as USM, I expect the Avengers to be registered with the government and all that. Now, my ideal team?

Iron Man
    Captain America
    Thor
    Ms. Marvel
    Black Widow
    Wolverine
    Vision

I think it's a good mix. Iron Man as administrator and Cap as the field leader, naturally. Thor is the big guns. Ms. Marvel makes for a nice physical female, charging into battle and all. Black Widow makes a good normal, finesse sort of character. Wolverine would be a great choice... throw your tomatoes now, but he's popular and fits the overall feel of the series! Without Hulk we need SOMEONE who's not a team player.

Vision is the one I'm not sold on... he's definitely not a very modern choice, but he's a nice "out-there" character - you know, he's make for cool effects. I could see other characters like Doctor Strange or Wonder Man working in that same capacity.

12. Kumori MC

Kumori MC New Member

I actually have some doubt over liking the rumored new Avengers series.

See, when I was introduced to the Avengers some ten-to-twelve years ago, it was via comics [and by accident], and they were the classic ones, minus some members [if I recall, it was the issue where Presence and Starlight attack a nuclear facility in Russia and where Captain America "dies"; it's also the issue where the Vision, the Wasp, Stingray, Firebird, Warbird [Ms Marvel in her hotter-looking costume] and Thor became some of my favorite Marvel characters]. The issue had Yellowjacket Hank, Wasp and Thor from the founding members, with Iron Man and Hulk absent for some reason or another. Why am I pointing this out? After this I did research on the team and I adored their classical roots and their subsequent growth.

And then I read "The Ultimates" and felt like puking my entrails out.

From what I understand, the new Avengers merchandise draws on both 616 and Ultimate universes, which is alright to some extent, but not always. And this is visible in the movies as well [Sam L Jackson as Fury, Hawkeye's getup, Loki's civilian look, etc.] Visually, it bothers me to see this, even in USM, and if the possibly-upcoming new Avengers cartoon is in continuity with USM and the SMASHies, then it will [again, possibly] be more Ultimate-looking rather than 616-ish.

There, now that point number one was made, onto point number two.

AEMH has had its ups and downs, much like its spiritual DC predecessor JL/JLU. But both series have proven to be worthy of fan praise, sometimes for the classic takes/nods to characters, sometimes for taking bold risks and moving in new directions. And considering both did it on a budget [simple character designs, recycling animation and special effects], this is no small feat.But what I fear about this new show is summed up in Loeb's own words when discussing Hulk: "Now, we want to do this live-action Hulk, full of drama, misunderstanding. While, on the other hand, we have this Hulk for the younger audiences, this more kid-friendly Hulk in a team with other hulked-up heroes." The "kid-friendly" portion scares me; it seems like he's one of those old-time folk that believe animation is strictly for children, and upon seeing USM, I'm inclined to stick with that notion [of what Loeb feels, not that animation is just for kids]. And frankly, seeing an Avengers toon with zero backstory and tons of explosions accompanied by bland humor - not my idea of a...well, good idea.

Now, I know it's just a rumor - albeit a very, VERY plausible one - but if it did turn out to be true, I'll have some reserves.

And despite those reserves, still watch the new show and hope to hell that I'm wrong.

Also, Mammy. :twoshoes:

13. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Ah, Kurt Busiek Avengers. I approve. ;)

14. macattack

macattack I see you!

You pretty much explained my exact thoughts here, and why I'm so skeptical and full of trepidation about Marvel Animation and its current and future offerings. I think Loeb is locked in a pre-Batman: TAS mindset regarding animation, its target audience, and the themes that animation can present. Of course, it would be asinine to not put qualifiers like "I think" and "there's a good chance" into a statement like that, but by fall we should have a really good idea about the direction Marvel animation is going to take, and if the rumors are true, as are the current moods and themes present in USM, I'm not sure that anyone outside of the target demographic is going to appreciate Marvel's cartoons. Superficially that's fine because the target audience will be spending the merch money on the toys and games and stuff, not us older people, who are only good for DVD/Blu-Ray sales. But I think that's a really narrow-focused approach that can blunt broad appeal.

I do think that Avengers EMH is done. Loeb's refusal to directly answer EMH's fate ironically pretty much seals that the show will not go beyond episode 52. While 52 episodes is a damn good run for a show, you can make the argument that EMH has legs to go to 104 episodes, twice as long. We can't discount however that episode 52 could be a way to transition into the new Avengers show, by shattering EMH's lineup and setting up a more movie-based lineup and they go from there. There's ways it can be done though, by, like, breaking timelines and continuity and using timey-whammy balls. :p

But yeah. Hopefully the next animated chapter in the Avengers will be good. Hopefully.

15. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

Honestly I'm having a hard time imagining what I would like in a new Avengers show (aside from She-Hulk being a member) because the current one is so good.

16. Kumori MC

Kumori MC New Member

My thoughts exactly.

17. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord New Member

Deadpool appearance?

18. Kumori MC

Kumori MC New Member

My thoughts exactly. [more often than necessary]

19. TheMadSlasher

TheMadSlasher New Member

To be honest, I'd prefer a series that is outside of the movie continuity.

Perhaps it is my militant anti-Registration stance, but I'd like to see the Avengers as a private entity (Stark's attempt to "privatize world peace"), rather than as a government-backed one.

My primary demand, however, is good characterization. This is the key. If I like the characterizations, I'll be willing to let a lot slide.

Ideally I'd like a series that's a bit more mature too, i.e. not "for kids." Because honestly, things "for kids" always get overly sanitized.

1) Do NOT make Captain America resemble anything like what Brian Michael Bendis writes him as.
    2) Please don't use Tony's drinking to make him pathetic. There is such a thing as a heavy drinker that is responsible. If you're going to bring up his Daddy Issues, make them the "I hate you Dad" variety rather than the "I wish you loved me, Dad" variety. The former is awesome, the latter is pathetic.
    3) Keep Clint rebellious, defiant, and renegade. And please remember that these character traits are good things, and not "problems" to be punished or fixed. And if Clint's Daddy Issues are brought up, treat them in the same way as I suggested Tony's are to be treated.
    4) Both Clint and Tony possess rather healthy appetites for pretty girls. I'd like to see this referenced more. The Super Hero Squad Show managed to have a flirtier Tony than AEMH has had so far (!). So I say we need more flirty!Clint and Tony.
    5) Make SHIELD into horrible obstructive bureaucrats that Stark loves to annoy.
    6) Tony in Iron Man 1 (the film) is the best Tony yet, so use that film as the basis for him.
    7) Action is all well and good but give me lots of funny hanging-around-the-mansion and characterization stuff.

Okay, now for team roster....
    Iron Man (financier and founder)
    Captain America (field leader/tactician/team shrink that always says ego-boosting things)
    Hawkeye
    Thor
    She-Hulk (handles the legal stuff and flirts with Clint and Tony)

Not sure who else I'd bring in however. I know I wouldn't want Wolverine in there, he belongs on the X-Men only IMO.

I'd definetly want Pepper Potts hanging around, but acting like in IM1 (she was funny and cute in how she awkwardly fussed over Tony).

If they brought in Miles Morales as an audience surrogate or something, I'd appreciate if he actually got treated respectfully rather than mocked and humiliated like most audience surrogates (i.e. how SHSS treated Reptil, or WATXM treated Forge).

20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Y'know, something just occurred to me - perhaps, knowing that AEMH was not going to have a third season, Loeb might have given us a good completion to the second season, instead of an incomplete cliffhanger?