1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Avengers: Age of Ultron Week: Was New Avengers Needed?

Discussion in 'Marvel Comics and Collectibles' started by Stu, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Hey,

To celebrate the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron, the Marvel Animation Forum and Comic Book Culture will be posting a daily discussion about Earth's Mightiest Heroes from now up until the films release.

Way back in the day, Marvel announced that Avengers #500 would be the final issue is the series, with Brian Michael Bendis writing a 'New Avengers' book it's in place. This was back in the area when a new #1 didn't mean it was Wednesday, it was also said that two classic Avengers characters would die, and the team would be replaced. Captain America and Iron Man were the only two Avengers would carry on as Avengers, with Wolverine, Spider-Man, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman, Sentury and eventually Ronin taking over.

At the time, opinions were conflicted. Many felt Spider-Man and Wolverine were already promoted heavily enough by Marvel and weren't happy that Thor, Hawkeye, The Vision and various others were left to the wayside.

Over the next few years, the team would divide, reunite and have a massive overhaul of the roster, but it all began with New Avengers, until we eventually received most of the classic Avengers roster back. So, now that the shock tactics of it all have long since gone, what do you think to Bendis' changes? What is really necessary and did you welcome it at the time?

2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, setting aside whether New Avengers was needed...I think a lot of people would say that the way they went about setting it up with Disassembled certainly wasn't, and failed on a lot of levels.

I think Spidey and Wolverine joining the Avengers isn't a bad idea in and of itself, since they're popular characters and more often than not that usually nets you Avengers membership eventually (at least from my understanding). Now, the argument can be made as to whether it made sense for those two characters in-universe to join the Avengers, what with Logan being a known killer who wrestles with his murderous instincts and Peter being a predominantly solo hero. Of course, considering the development that both characters have had, and Logan's team experience, the counterargument could be made that as characters they grew into Avengers-material. Then again, lots of people complain about Logan being on so many teams as well :sweat:.

I think the New Avengers had a nice dynamic and there were some good issues with those characters. I think like a lot Marvel books it got bogged down in crossovers and events, and Bendis' penchant for decompression and probably didn't net a lot of fans for how it wasn't necessarily in the traditional style of Avengers. There were still some really good issues though, helped in no small part by some really talented artists :).

I admit I'm slightly biased to the idea of Logan and Spidey on the Avengers because I grew up reading Marvel Adventures where they were mainstays. And Jeff Parker enjoyed beating up Wolverine a lot :p.

Granted, as Avengers they don't do a lot now, but they're not the only Avengers that this has happened to with Hickman's large roster.

But hey, Bendis brought back Mockingbird, Wasp (after killing her admittedly), made Spider-Woman more prominent as a character, gave Luke Cage the respect he deserves and made him a top-tier Avenger, and wrote some really good issues and moments. While I won't say that's enough to say that his run was a success, it's definitely a good result in my book ;).