1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Avaitor Presents- The Top 20 Modern Pop Songs of Our Time

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Darklordavaitor, May 24, 2012.

1. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Hey guys, I'm the Dark Lord! I rant about random crap so you don't have to!

You know, I love music. A lot. And while I've been known to lean more to the heavier side of music, there's little that's more exhilarating than hearing a well-crafted pop song. Be it a fun dance track, a smooth ballad, or just something with a lot of soul or passion but still has enough mainstream sensibilities and tight hooks to appeal to a mass audience. You gotta love something like this. So how about we turn on the radio and enjo-

*turns on radio to local top 40 station and hears the chorus to "What Makes You Beautiful"*

*promptly turns off*

Ugh. Boy bands. I thought we were over this phase. I guess not. Well, I'd pull out some old Marvin Gaye records to satisfy my hunger for tightly constructed popular music, but hey, What's Going On is over 40 years old, and I'm in the mood for something more contemporary. So how about I make a list celebrating what I, your personal not-so-nostalgic critic, consider the top 20 pop songs starting from, oh, let's say, June 13, 2000 to now?

That or we could try the ra-

*turns back on and hears a shrill "I JUST MET YOUUUUUU/AND THIS IS CRAZYYYYYY"*

*promptly turns back off*

Nah, let's stick to my idea.:p

My criteria for what can make the list is simple. As long as the song was released as a single by my start time and charted within the top 40 of Billboard's Hot 100 or Top Pop Songs, it qualifies to make this list. So pop, rock, R&B, rap, country, metal, it's all fair game. And I'm sticking to only 2 songs per artist on here. Otherwise a certain couple of geniuses could end up ranking over the whole thing.

And I'll start the list out on my next post.:)

*turns on radio one last time and hears Selena Gomez about to utter the syllable "la"*

*shudders and promptly turns back off*

2. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

#20- System of a Down- "B.Y.O.B."

This is at the tailend of the list since it shouldn’t really be on here in the first place. Nu metal was mostly dead by 2005, although a few bands were still making hits and selling out shows, and some still are today. Although they weren’t exactly a nu metal band to begin with, System of a Down were easily the biggest band that could be qualified as such still treading along at that point, as their last two albums, Mesmerize and Hypnotize, came out in 2005. The first single from their one-two au revoir punch, “B.Y.O.B.”, also miraculously gave them the only top 40 hit of their career.

And what an opener that track contained! An incredible riff leads it off before back-up vocalist Daron Malakian’s powerful scream. The lyrics are easy to interpret, turning the war in Iraq into a fratboy party with explosive consequences, and contains some of the band’s trademark odd time signature changes and no-holds political anguish. It’s one of the last truly rocking songs to matter, at least in the eyes of the mainstream, which is why it ranks on here.

19- Kelly Clarkson- "Since U Been Gone"

Kelly Clarkson was a simple enough pop singer after her initial post-American Idol career, a potentially talented artist who seemed to sell herself short due to fear of losing her contract. She had a nice voice, but didn't put enough effort in her earlier songs to show it off. She was rather good looking, but not in a conventional magazine bombshell way, which is what typically sells in today's weight-obsessed society. And she seemed to have an appreciation for all sorts of music, ranging from rock, Motown, and vintage and contemporary pop, but never seemed to steer in a particular direction for where to go with her own music.

All of this has changed in one way or another, as Clarkson is still relevant a decade after being Idol's first winner and has had a fair amount of hits over the years. And it all seems to culminate with "Since U Been Gone", a classic breakup song that lets the girl belt out her anger at the fool who let her go. Scratch that, not anger, pride. And you can hear it in Clarkson's voice. She's better than this guy, and she's not afraid to let you know. While she's done similar songs to these over the years, likely to cash in on its massive success, none of them come close to matching the enjoyment that comes from this track.

18- The Script- "Breakeven"

The other-other big band from Dublin, The Script are a fairly average indie rock act with a handful of hits that seem to stand out in a fairly girly pop-oriented landscape. While I wouldn't call most of their work above mediocre, "Breakeven", what might be their first big hit, is great.

You can hear the singer's heartbreak as he doesn't break even from his ex in here. He doesn't try to hide his anguish as he still feels the heart, and there isn't much in here to make him sound like the good guy. Parts of it can be argued as whiny, but I thin that's a good thing for the sake of this track. The real kicker, however, is the music. There's a nice little acoustic riff that starts the song off and follows throughout, and some nice piano accompaniment alongside it. Not a bad track, when all is said and done.

17- Pink- "Get the Party Started"

Remember when Pink (you can replace the "i" with an exclamation point if you want; I choose not to) was the "bad girl" pop star as opposed to Britney, Christina and the like? It used to be widely believed that Pink wouldn't last and would eventually crash and burn herself while the cleaner cut Britney Spears would continue to be the biggest name in pop and the better role model for young women. Heh, it's funny how things turn out...

But hey, "Get the Party Started" is a fun dance song that'd stand strong in any diva's greatest hits collection. There really isn't much to the music at all (if you haven't heard the song, you can guess how it'll go if you haven't heard it before- lyrics, beat, melody, etc), but crafted very finely, so that all of the conveniences work out well and the song is just fun to listen to.

16- Britney Spears- "Toxic"

I'll bet you weren't expecting to see a Britney song on here after reading me slightly trash her in my last entry, especially right after said mention. While i'd hardly call Miss Spears a remarkable artist, I have to give credit where credit is due and call "Toxic" a damn fine pop song. But hey, the song's going to be considered a classic at least 5 billion years in the future, so it did something right, huh?:D

And check out the use of strings in it! The opening is a killer synth hook that ends with some high-pitched screeches that'd fit into the Psycho score like a glove. There's also a nice surf-like guitar addition midway through that changes the tempo up and brings the song to a halt, before catching you back in. It's a clever little touch that I think adds to why the song made it on the list.

And watching the video again, I love that Brit is dressed like Black Widow for parts of it. I can't help but wonder if the inspiration for Scar Jo's take on the character was lifted from tis.

3. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

15- Red Hot Chili Peppers- "Dani California"

Ah, the Chili Peppers. Rick Rubin will never drop you guys, will he? And the Peppers won't drop him no matter how shoddy he's become over the years. It's hard to argue that they became rather bland, almost a parody of themselves, since Californication. But they've still made some really cool songs over the years, like this, the lead single to their 2005 double album, Stadium Arcadium.

It's not too funky of a track, which is a shame, but "Dani California" is still a fun, rocking song, which contains some of John Frusciante's sharpest rhythm playing, as well as a killer solo at the end. But hey, let's be honest, the best part of the song is the video, which sees the Peppers dress up as various different rock acts from over the years, from Elvis to The Beatles to Bowie to Misfits to themselves at the very end. It's keenly edited and has some great costume work for the band.

14- Rihanna ft. Jay-Z- "Umbrella"

I’ll admit it, when this song first came out, I couldn’t stand it. “Umbrella” was all over, not just on the radio, which I all but avoided on my own, but on TV, in stores, friends’ playlists, everywhere. And the chorus melted into my ears. “Ella…Ella…Ella…Ay ay ay ay.” I found it to be the most grating song on earth.

Now that time has passed, I find the song to be a little better than I used to give it credit for. It’s a very well-produced song, for one. The beat fits in smoothly, and combines good bits of drum machines and subtle piano and guitar riffs. The lyrics are silly as sin, but Rihanna still had a bit of sincerity in her voice that made the delivery near-perfect. And yes, the chorus is classic.

Although I will say that Jay-Z really doesn't add much to the song at all. After his opening verse, you don't hear from him again.

13- Usher ft. Lil' Jon and Ludacris- "Yeah!"

I don't think the label or Usher or anyone has officially put the video up on YouTube, so I forwent putting a link up for it. But you know this song. I know you do. If you've been to a club or school dance in the past 8 years, this song is unavoidable, just like it used to be on the radio a few years ago.

And for all rights, it deserves to be. This is one of the most perfect dance songs ever conceived, plain and simple. That beat is just BIG. There's no other way to describe it but BIG in all caps. And while the three artists are overly mediocre, all things considered, together they're a perfect fit in this one song. Even today, this song will get nearly anyone to dance along, which shows its success.

12- Outkast- "Ms. Jackson"

"Here comes the bride, here comes the bride"

After that undeniably memorable piano hook kicks off, you get two of raps most gifted artists show off their talents together. Andre 3000 is slick with his skills, while Big Boi is slower and harsher in tone, as they set up an earnest apology to the mother of 3000's own baby mama, as 3000 attempts to prove his worth to them for his child's sake. If the song stayed in its original acoustic version, as he wrote it, it'd be sweet. But combine it with some sick instrumentals and rapping with the two artists, and you have an instant classic.

11- Lady Gaga- "Bad Romance"

You know, this could honestly have been a little higher, but for one reason or another, I don't want Lady Gaga in my top 10.:p

But to be completely fair, this is a very well done song, and arguably Gaga's greatest combination of visual and aural attack. There is relatively little to the lyrics, just a set of words that Gaga thought sounded catchy together, but I think that lack or pretention makes for this to be one of her more deservingly successful songs. And the music fits perfectly. Synth beat after beat makes for the song's bread and butter, while Gaga's vocals don't get lost in translation at all.

I personally think that Lady Gaga is the definition of style over substance, but with such style in a song like this, it's hard to knock her so much.

4. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

10- Enrique Iglesias- "Hero"

Okay, I'll admit it, I mostly put this song on the list because of a running joke my friends have. I couldn't begin to explain it to you, since I hardly understand it myself, but I know that the joke means no disrespect to Mr. Iglesias.

But it is also a good song, and it ranks so high if only to prove as an example of a somewhat simple pop song that became of great consequence. "Hero" is a solid ballad, with a nice Latin acoustic riff being accompanied throughout, and a decent rhythm section backing it up. The lyrics are easy enough to interpret, but Iglesias' sincerity makes it work perfectly.

Why did I mention that the song became of greater consequence? Well, the song was released just around the time that a certain American tragedy occurred, and we seemed to need a fresh supply of heroes. "Hero" really took off then, and Iglesias was even asked by Bruce Springsteen, who had a memorable post-9/11 hit of his own, Bon Jovi, and a few others to perform it at a charity concert in New York. Pretty good company to accustom yourself in for a middling act from the short-lived Latin revival phase of the late 90's whose biggest claim to fame came from his daddy rather than his barely-on-the-radar hits.

9- Pink- "Sober"

I mentioned Pink before on this list, and I just have to say that it's pretty funny to reflect on her career as a whole. She initially started off as a diva that earned her notoriety from being an edgier alternative to Britney Spears, with considerably fewer hits. Now while Britney is relevant primarily as a mother figure to today's pop starlet and less so for still releasing hits, Pink has become a sly voice of hope and inspiration for young women while still having a successful career to this date. I mean, she outsells Lady Gaga and Katy Perry on tour. That's kinda impressive, right?

It may seem like I'm really singing the praises of Pink, but not all of her recent hits work to her advantage. Some sound almost like the musical equivalent of Norma Desmond's overbearing attempt at a return to fame ("Raise Your Glass" comes to mind) while others rely too much on her "cool younger aunt"-like attempt at wisdom and come out as overbearing ("****in' Perfect"). "Sober", on the other hand, has a perfect combination at both catchy pop music and heartfelt advice.

Despite the title and video, the song isn't specifically about sobriety from drugs or alcohol, but rather the need to rely on ones self without the companionship of others or the use of stimulants. Pink's honesty is prevalent throughout, and she does raise a good point. It feels like too often do we as people feel the need to be in a relationship or have a lot of friends to be happy, or possibly some other methods to fill that hunger. Before we try to find the one or become a party monster, you should find yourself and be content with your own person. It's a strong message that I'm learning myself now in my life.

8- Lady Antebellum- "Need You Now"

Blah, Walmart Country. Country in general is not my thing, but I’m especially not into the Champagne Blonde-flavored bubblegum pop that Nashville has been cropping out in recent years, yet I don’t think that I could rightfully make this list without adding at least one song from the scene in. Really, I can’t.

Fortunately there's a really good song in "Need You Now". It's also the polar opposite from "Sober", in that the two vocalists, one male, the other female, sing about the need for companionship in the middle of a drunken night. Basically, a booty call. Both singers juxtapose each other very well, with a male's fairly low southern drawl and his girl's higher pitch. They're both accompanied by a tender piano melody and an almost southern rock-like lead guitar track. It's a beautiful combination that chaotically rises near the end only to fall smoothly with its final notes.

7- Cee Lo Green- "**** You"

Or "Forget You" if you prefer. But I don't, so I'm going by the original title.:p

This song is incredible. It's vintage Motown, but it has enough modern pop sensibilities to fit in like a glove in today's scene. The theme of rejection is universal and timeless, but Cee Lo's girl ditching him for a richer and slimmer boy is incredibility relevant to today's weakened economy and weight-obsessed society. The use of profanity is shocking and clever, but both Cee Lo and his back-up girls' performances are so damn catchy that you'll catch little kids and old ladies dropping the F-bomb and N-word as they sing along.

I don't think that the song has become overplayed yet, despite how many times it has already been covered and rewritten. Which is a good step to prove its timelessness.

6- Evanescence- "Bring Me to Life"

As much as I loved Daredevil as a kid when I first saw it, there are only two really remarkable things about the theatrical cut now that I look at it again. One is Michael Clarke Duncan, who surprisingly nailed the role as Kingpin. The other was the use of this song during Elektra and Bullseye's climatic clash.

Call this the best nu metal song ever written is a serious understatement. Amy Lee's voice is insane (you know she's gotta be good if she got the gig in the band for nailing a Meat Loaf cover), and while she does have stronger performances on the album, hers here is still killer. The rap section, while admittedly a tad silly, fits in like a glove and doesn't seem as out of place as, say, the one in "Freak on a Leash" does. The piano opening is almost iconic, and sets up for a good introduction for the band. Even the screamo part surprisingly holds up.

When the album came out and I played it regularly, I typically skipped over all but two or three songs. This was one of the ones I made a habit of always listening to, no matter how many times I've heard it. And I still think that it's one of the best rock songs of the past 10 years.

5. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

And now the moment you've all been waiting for, the top 5.

5- Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys- "Empire State of Mind"

Okay, I've never been to New York, so I can't exactly get nostalgic for a place I've never been to. However, I've watched enough episodes of How I Met Your Mother and seen enough Woody Allen movies to get an idea of how great the state looks. Considering how many films, TV shows, books, songs and numerous other pieces of entertainment have been made in dedication to the Big Apple, it'd sure take something fresh to impress me while tributing NYC.

Jay-Z and Alicia Keys have been able to do that here, and I'm not even a big fan of their usual work! Yet somehow Jay-Z's typical harsh rapping and Keys' soulful piano playing fit like a glove here as they drop reference after reference to the greatest city on Earth, and continually make it sound amazing and inviting to NY veterans and people like me alike. It's a really good song that will inspire you like the big lights Keys constantly refers to.

4- Eminem ft. Rihanna- "Love the Way You Lie"

I haven't put an Eminem song on here yet? Huh. Welp, here you go.

There's actually two parts to this song- the first, on Eminem's "comeback" album Recovery, which focuses primarily on Slim's verses with help by Rihanna's chorus, and the second, which showed up on Rihanna's own album and consists almost entirely on her. I'm going with the first myself, since the second, while still poignant in its own right, loses the beauty of the first without Eminem's intensity.

It's pretty obvious to guess where the inspiration for the song came from (here's a hint- it rhymes with "Miss Clown"), but the song works on its own as a message out to victims of domestic abuse anywhere. Rihanna sings the part of the broken woman, who knows better than to stick around but like many in a relationship like this, is too weak in their own mind to walk out. Eminem plays the part of the man, who does obviously care about his girl but is too mentally damaged to change his brutal ways. If there's one thing Marshall Mathers can do very well in his music, it's express anger, and he nails that here, while also showing brief flashes of sincerity to show that he does love this girl, only for him to explode and lose his balance.

This is a harsh, yet strangely beautiful song. Easily top 5 material.

3- Eminem- "Lose Yourself"

Again, no official video has been posted on Eminem's Vevo page, so I'm not posting a link up. But there's no way that I couldn't add this song on here, especially not this high.

8 Mile was a very mediocre remake of Purple Rain, despite Mathers being a surprisingly competent actor, but the soundtrack, this song in particular, more than makes up for the film. Rarely has Slim sounded more earnest as he brings out the message from the movie, you rarely get more than one chance to achieve your dreams, so make sure you go with the right choice. Eminem gets angry, depressed, sly, and even a little ironic in here, while the music is fits rather well with his verses, adding bits of pop and rock to the beats. This is such a strong song made by one of rap's biggest names at the height of his power.

2- Demi Lovato- "Skyscraper"

Last year, we received a surprising amount of songs addressing a common goal- despite what the media wants to tell you, everyone is beautiful no matter what kind of body you have. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry released "Born This Way" and "Firework" around the same time as each other expressing this point, but neither were completely successful in spreading it, since both are such over-the-top artists that it's hard to take them seriously when they try to express actual human emotions. Although I knocked it a little earlier, Pink's "****in' Perfect" was an improvement, but still didn't have the teeth to sell the idea.

Although "Skyscraper" was originally written as a semi-apocalyptic ballad for Jordin Sparks, Demi Lovato (along with Sparks in back-up vocals) turned the song into exactly what all of these artists were trying to do but failed to. Although she recorded the song about a year prior to its release, it came out at the perfect time, months after Lovato returned from a treatment center to battle her own demons. This girl has been called fat, ugly, fake, everything you can throw at a teenage girl to make them grab a razor, and has been self-harming herself for years because of it.

There's something about Demi that most people take for granted though- she has an INCREDIBLE voice. Much stronger than anyone else on this list. When she says that she will be rising from the ground like a skyscraper, you better believe her. In Lovato's hands, the song turns into something for the hurt and broken to think to themselves so they can stay strong- you can knock her down until she's bleeding, but she will rise above beyond all the hate and go on with life. Demi has been doing that ever since leaving treatment, as she's been constantly teling her story and fighting to make sure that no one ever has to cut themselves or spend late nights purging in a toilet so they can feel worthy.

And Demi recorded this at an all-time low for her, while her voice had constantly been harmed due to her own purging and her weight was trimming down considerably to double digits. She was able to hit all the high notes without a hitch, but you can hear signs of wear in her voice, as well as where tears started as she performed the song. Granted, she rerecorded the song after leaving treatment as she started to work on the rest of the album, but it sounded too polished as compared to the original version, which is what we got. But when you listen to her now live, you can tell that she's improved herself a lot in the past year. There's still signs of wear, but almost no weakness live. The tears are still there, though.

Okay, I listed "Skyscraper". What could possibly top that? Well, count down with me now. 1...2...3...4

1- Outkast- "Hey Ya!"

For the person who wants everything in their music. Seriously, it's all here. Hip-hop, rock, R&B, funk, soul, Latin, new wave. All brought together with a touching Ed Sullivan tribute music video which brings up a good idea

The music, oh man, every second, there's something interesting being added. Bass playing almost in the vein of Bootsy Collins. A Mandrin-esque guitar hook. Catchy line after line. Silky smooth rapping by 3000. And what just be one of the iconic choruses ever made, period.

This is a perfect example of a song with crossover appeal. Obviously hip-hop fans into Outkast can easily love it, but there's enough rock and pop sensibilities to fit in for a massive audience outside of that core. It even charted in the Alternative and Latin charts! It also wouldn't have been too out of place back in the 60's or 70's, although a lot of the random bits of instrumentalism would have to be removed, which gives it some vintage appeal.

You can't exactly call the song deep in terms of lyrical content, but the music is insane and ultimately timeless, which makes it a clear choice for the top of the list.

So there's my top 20! Comments?

6. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

A very good list, although I might put "Skyscraper" at number 1. I am not a Demi Lovato host by any means, but I know a brilliant and emotional song when I hear it. "Hey Ya" does nothing for me. Oh, and thank you for turning off "Call Me Maybe." I have to listen to that crap enough on the radio.:p

7. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Haha, I do have to say, if I wasn't already a Lovatic when it came out, "Skyscraper" would've made me one, or I'd at least respect its quality. I'll admit that as much as I like Demi's music as a whole, the vast majority of it isn't that special, but this song definitely is. It doesn't sound like Radio Disney fodder at all (they wouldn't even play it, because of the line "Would it make you feel better to watch me while I bleed"), and it's just a very well-crafted song.

8. PF9

PF9 Member

I like "Bring Me to Life" - sounds like something out of a horror movie

9. Darklordavaitor

Staff Member Moderator

Like I bumped my other major list earlier, I feel this one deserves an honorable mentions post as well. Here are what woud make the top 25, not in order.

Demi Lovato- "Give Your Heart a Break"

This might have actually made the top 20 had it done better at the time I made it. The song had only somewhere in the early 30's-late 20's when I did, which does qualify it, but barely counted for my eyes. Now that it's done a whole lot better (I believe Hollywood Records has stated that it's their best performing single of all time; it's gotta be up there, at least), I think it deserves mention.

Demi's voice is so strong, even if this song is on the opposite spectrum of "Skyscraper". It's about a haphazard relationship, one that the singer obviously wants to evolve, even though the guy clearly has issues and doesn't know what he's missing. It lets Lovato be the strong one for a change, and as usual, show off her vocal prowess. Check out that crack when she says "You've been hurt before- I can see it in your eyes". What could've been a throwaway lyric becomes a melting centerpiece. And the music is a great compliment, combining symphonic and synthetic quite well.

While "Call Me Maybe", the summer's real breakaway hit, has an appeal limited primarily to teenage girls, everyone I get to listen to this song agrees that it's much better.

Gotye ft. Kimbra- "Somebody That I Used to Know"

This is another one I thought about putting on the list, but decided against since I wasn't sure how it'd hold up in repeat listenings. I only just got around to hearing it for the first time a few days before working on the list.

While I don't care for the busier remix that shows up on the radio, I think the main version still holds up quite well. Although I like Gotye's heartbroken performance, I think it's Kimbra that gives the song that push into borderline greatness. Without her verse, the song comes out as passive agressive nonsense and makes the singer looks weak. With Kimbra's cutting down of the protagonist, you understand why he's so distraught.

This is such a wholly interesting song, with layered lyrics. both singer's performances complimenting each other quite well. The funky, subdued music works perfectly, especially when becomes raised up as the song goes along. And there are plenty of hooks, which explains how it caught on so well with audiences.

Kelly Clarkson- "Walk Away"

There isn't really much to say about this one. It's a fun song, and Clarkson is a good singer. I couldn't really justify putting it on the list, especially when I had her more definitive "Since U Been Gone", but it's a perfectly fine track regardless, and shows off her RnB roots while still remaining completely modern.

Beyonce feat. Jay-Z- "Crazy in Love"

I'm not much of a Beyonce fan, by herself or with Destiny's Child. Especially not by herself. If I had to pick one solo song of hers that I enjoy though, I might have to go with "Crazy in Love", one of two memorable collaborations she did with hubby Jay-Z. It's very well-produced, insanely catchy, and has a great rap verse from Jay-Z, and Beyonce's confused sexism present in songs like "If I Were a Boy" isn't here at all.

I didn't think it was necessary for my list, but on repeated viewings, I can see why it is so well-received, well beyond her fanbase. So yeah, here you go.

If I didn't force myself to stick to 2 songs per artist, I might have added more Eminem or Pink songs on here. But I did for good reason. Although I am drawing a blank to come up with a fifth song. I actually had an idea for one, but have obviously forgotten now. Any ideas?

The real reason I bumped this though, besides to give you guys an idea of what my next list will be (hint: it'll be bigger. Much bigger) is to make a change to this one- I'm bumping "Skyscraper" to #1. After seeing this post last night, I'm reminded of just how much of an impact that Demi Lovato and this song in particular has. This is not the first story I've found with someone saying that Demi and this song has literally saved their lives, which is the amazing thing.

"Hey Ya!" is more creative, yes, but "Skyscraper" gives people hope, reminds people that you can overcome anything, and helps people to realize there is reason to live. This is one of the reasons that music is so incredible, that it can give audiences such a reaction. And it's a great song even if it wasn't so beneficial to it's fans lives.

For all of this, as well as I initially wrote about it, I feel that "Skyscraper" is the best pop song in the past decade, and more. And I hope you can understand where I'm coming from when I say so.